Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do not be fooled! Jarvis Jones is elite.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Do not be fooled! Jarvis Jones is elite.

Anyone who wants to focus on his workouts and 40 time as being a bad thing and cause for concern is foolish. One only needs to put on the hi-lights of his play in the SEC to see that he is a game changer on the field. Break it down 14.5 sacks, another 10 more tackles for loss, 1 INT, and 7 forced fumbles. Think about it. That is nearly 33 splash plays in one season from a defensive player. And he did it at the highest level of competition in all of college football, the SEC. Go put on the game tape versus the vaunted Alabama offensive line this past year. He was getting after A.J. McCarron all game long. He was the dominate force in those match-ups.

If the Steelers are lucky to have him there at 17, it is a no-brainier. Jarvis Jones is that rare player who plays better than he works out. And the quality of that play on the field during actual games is at an elite level. He played OLB in a 3-4 at Georgia. It is a no-brainier.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The scary thing with him is the history of other players with that spinal stenosis or whatever it is and the length of their careers....don't those with that issue only play for a few years?
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    The scary thing with him is the history of other players with that spinal stenosis or whatever it is and the length of their careers....don't those with that issue only play for a few years?
    The trend seems to be that we don't keep players past their first contract anyway...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He has been cleared medically for the past 3 years. I dont see it as the problem some want to think it is. If he can be elite for 6 to 8 years in the NFL at the type of level that he produces, it is well worth the risk.

And you can bet had he ran a sub 4.6 40 noone would be talking about any risk with him right now. It is all about a poor work out. And that is ridiculous when you see what the did pn the field.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So what happens if this time next year Jadeveon Clowney has a poor work out/40 yard dash? How many teams are going to back off him? Can you say?.........none!!

Clowney had 43 splash plays in the SEC last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

If we get 5-6 years from him before putting him out to pasture would that be enough?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    The trend seems to be that we don't keep players past their first contract anyway...
    The bigger problem is we don't let defensive players play until near the end of their first contract. That is a major problem in a cap driven league.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If we get 5-6 years from him before putting him out to pasture would that be enough?
    At 12-15 sacks 20-25 plus TFL's and 5-7 FF per year on average?....Yeah that would be well worth it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    At 12-15 sacks 20-25 plus TFL's and 5-7 FF per year on average?....Yeah that would be well worth it.
    If we get that performance and don't have LeBeau putting him on ice for two years I agree. Still not my first choice for #17 (prefer Eifert, Ansah, Patterson or Jordan) but a solid pick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

AND if trend continues he will be 25-26 before he starts. A 1st rounder for a kid who will play ST unless there is an injury...I'm not taking him at 17.

I know you are high on him Dub but after his workout and what we heard about him...I went back to the tape. There is speed lag now that you look for it. He didn't work out well in LB drills. With his health concerns and how he struggles at the point of attack against the run...He doesn't scream "Steeler 1st rounder" to me. They were talking about Jones on NFL Network last night because Brandt dropped him out of the first too just like Moore after his poor workouts. Its funny that "some" people in here kick Moore in the gut down the road after what he did but Jones doesn't get the same treatment.

There just really isn't a day 1 OLB we could get at #17. I know Jones played 3-4 OLB but he didn't play 3-4 Steelers OLB. He was in attack mode 90% of the time & when he did drop it was to a zone. After looking at them all hard, the one with the most UPSIDE that could fit what the Steelers like is Mingo. Mingo has to get stronger and he won't see the field his rookie year unless there is an injury. You look at Jordan, Ansah, & Werner. Can they play 3-4 OLB? I think they could but it won't be day 1 for the Steelers. The problem with them is they look so good with their hand in the dirt a 4-3 team will jump all over them because they are a day 1 plug & play at that spot. Their value is much higher on their board than the Steelers.

I'm not saying this to get the Jones camp stirred up. It is MY opionion based on what the Steelers do. When I put my GM hat on and look internally I look at that position as a need but not as a 1st. If the questions were answered about Worilds it would be easier know what direction. If Woodley & Worilds give you double digit sacks in 2013 & you draft Jones...You really might have wasted a 1st round pick. They will select a OLB in rounds 2-4 IMO, so if Worilds doesn't produce or Woodley doesn't get back to form...You have something to work with. It is a certainty that they need 1 or 2 safeties for 2014. They also need a WR, TE, RB now. They may decide to address ILB like Spence isn't here. They made their investment to replace Harrison...Time to get a return on that investment. There is no RB worthy of a 1st round pick. I truely feel that a pick in the 1st at WR, S, TE, & ILB all help the Steelers sooner than later over OLB. Some as fast as Day 1 or mid season. If I'm wrong...I will say I am wrong. That just won't happen until the card is turned in.