Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rookies Bell, Jones could start for Steelers if they can learn systems

Legend

User Info Menu

Rookies Bell, Jones could start for Steelers if they can learn systems

The Steelers' Le'Veon Bell carries the ball during OTAs on Wednesday, May 22, 2013, at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex.

By Alan Robinson
    Published: Thursday, June 6, 2013

They're being called perfect fits.

Jarvis Jones, college football's best pass rusher, and a Steelers defense in desperate need of a pressure-the-passer presence.

Le'Veon Bell, the Big Ten's most prolific running back, and a Steelers offense that had its second-lowest rushing output since 1978.

Six weeks since the NFL Draft, there is no evidence that neither first-round Jones nor second-round Bell will start the Sept. 8 opener against Tennessee. While the Steelers insist they didn't draft them to fill urgent needs, they certainly seem to do exactly that.

Not so fast, according to a couple of Steelers veteran players.

Inside linebacker Larry Foote said coordinator Dick LeBeau's defense can be so complicated at first for a player coming out of college — even one who played the 3-4 defense like Jones did at Georgia — that starting as a rookie could be a difficult assignment.

And running back Isaac Redman said Wednesday that while it's difficult to judge any player before the pads come on, which won't happen until training camp, trying to start as a Steelers rookie can be an intimidating prospect.

“It's pretty hard to start any position as a rookie, to come in and see the change of speed. He won't really realize it until he gets into the game,” Redman said. “But I wish him all the best of luck.”

Coach Mike Tomlin said earlier in the week he won't begin to sort out the running back situation — Bell, Redman and Jonathan Dwyer are competing — until training camp.

Regardless, Redman is ready to make a rather bold prediction about what was the NFL's 26th-best rushing offense last season.

“We're going to be one of the best running back groups in the league. Our offensive line is looking great, and it's going to start up front with them. If the running back room can stay healthy, if the offensive line can stay healthy, we're going to do big things this year.”

Dwyer ran for 623 yards and a 4.0 average, while Redman ran for 410 yards and a 3.7 average last season when returning starter Rashard Mendenhall struggled after returning from major knee surgery. The 1,537 yards rushing were the second-fewest in a Steelers 16-game season to the 1,488 yards of 2003.

Redman believes the numerous injuries in the backfield and offensive line were more responsible for the running game's drop-off than a shortage of talent.

“I take it personally,” Redman said of the criticism given those involved in the Steelers' ground game. “You try not to listen to it, but you hear it. It gets to me. It doesn't do nothing but motivate me, make me work harder. ... We showed those spurts in those couple of games that we could be dominant running the ball.”

The Steelers won four straight games during the middle of the season but dropped five of seven after that as offensive line starters Mike Adams and Willie Colon went down with injuries.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4138032-74/steelers-running-redman#ixzz2VSOxdoue[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell yes, but J. Jones will never be deemed to have "learned the system" good enough on defense. It will ruin the mythology of complexity and genius if a rookie contributes on defense.

Bell will be #1 RB by mid-season
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Bell yes, but J. Jones will never be deemed to have "learned the system" good enough on defense. It will ruin the mythology of complexity and genius if a rookie contributes on defense.

Bell will be #1 RB at the start of the season. He's significantly better than any of our other RB's, and that will be painfully apparent in training camp and the preseason games.

Jones will be starting at OLB by mid-season (unless, of course, Worilds gets hurt early on again) after collecting 4-5 sacks in situational spot duty in the first half of the season.

If anything holds Jones back, it will be struggles holding the edge against the run moreso than understanding the defensive concepts. If he shows the ability stop the run when it comes right at him (he's already excellent against the run in pursuit behind the line of scrimmage), then he'll start sooner than you think.
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 06-06-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I suspect Bell blows up the preseason and forces the Steelers hand. I believe he starts at the latest game 2.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

I thought you were a Jason Worilds supporter?

Legend

User Info Menu

Larry Foote thinks it will be “difficult” for Jarvis Jones to win a starting role

Much has been made about the changes across the Steelers roster in the last couple of years and linebacker Larry Foote knows that the team is “going through a bit of a transition period” right now.

Such a transition period calls for new players to step into roles vacated by veteran contributors, something that will be happening on both sides of the ball in Pittsburgh this season. One of the players who will be asked to take on a new role is first-round pick Jarvis Jones, but Foote thinks it may not be an immediate trip to the starting lineup for the rookie even though he has experience in a 3-4 scheme from his days at the University of Georgia.

“It’s going to be difficult, especially outside,” Foote said, via Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “There is so much technique, where you’ve got to line up, inside or outside. The fortunate thing is they [Jones' Georgia Bulldogs] played a 3-4. … I’ve seen a lot come in as rookies and not have a clue, but you can tell he’s been around our type of football.”

Jones and Jason Worilds are the choices as a replacement for James Harrison in the starting lineup and history says that the money should be on the veteran winning the starting job after players like LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons started their careers on the bench in Pittsburgh. Jones doesn’t need to start to make an impact, however. If his collegiate pass rushing skills translate to the NFL, he’ll be on the field often in his rookie season and the transition period would be less painful in at least one spot for the Steelers.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/05/larry-foote-thinks-it-will-be-difficult-for-jarvis-jones-to-win-a-starting-role/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

I have a feeling that Worilds and Redman will start the season. Bell should be able to supplant Redman by mid season. No need to push it early cause we're gonna be playing a long season going for #7. Jarvy will be a 3rd round pass rusher and that may be his role for the season unless there's an injury.

I'm also not sleeping on Robinson pushing Worilds.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Worilds will of course be the starter Week 1 with Adrian Robinson making his case all preseason.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I have a feeling that Worilds and Redman will start the season. Bell should be able to supplant Redman by mid season. No need to push it early cause we're gonna be playing a long season going for #7. Jarvy will be a 3rd round pass rusher and that may be his role for the season unless there's an injury.

I'm also not sleeping on Robinson pushing Worilds.
    I have my eye on Marshall McFadden getting some action inside....

JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

The Steelers' Le'Veon Bell carries the ball during OTAs on Wednesday, May 22, 2013, at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex.

By Alan Robinson
    Published: Thursday, June 6, 2013

They're being called perfect fits.

Jarvis Jones, college football's best pass rusher, and a Steelers defense in desperate need of a pressure-the-passer presence.

Le'Veon Bell, the Big Ten's most prolific running back, and a Steelers offense that had its second-lowest rushing output since 1978.

Six weeks since the NFL Draft, there is no evidence that neither first-round Jones nor second-round Bell will start the Sept. 8 opener against Tennessee. While the Steelers insist they didn't draft them to fill urgent needs, they certainly seem to do exactly that.

Not so fast, according to a couple of Steelers veteran players.

Inside linebacker Larry Foote said coordinator Dick LeBeau's defense can be so complicated at first for a player coming out of college — even one who played the 3-4 defense like Jones did at Georgia — that starting as a rookie could be a difficult assignment.

And running back Isaac Redman said Wednesday that while it's difficult to judge any player before the pads come on, which won't happen until training camp, trying to start as a Steelers rookie can be an intimidating prospect.

“It's pretty hard to start any position as a rookie, to come in and see the change of speed. He won't really realize it until he gets into the game,” Redman said. “But I wish him all the best of luck.”

Coach Mike Tomlin said earlier in the week he won't begin to sort out the running back situation — Bell, Redman and Jonathan Dwyer are competing — until training camp.

Regardless, Redman is ready to make a rather bold prediction about what was the NFL's 26th-best rushing offense last season.

“We're going to be one of the best running back groups in the league. Our offensive line is looking great, and it's going to start up front with them. If the running back room can stay healthy, if the offensive line can stay healthy, we're going to do big things this year.”

Dwyer ran for 623 yards and a 4.0 average, while Redman ran for 410 yards and a 3.7 average last season when returning starter Rashard Mendenhall struggled after returning from major knee surgery. The 1,537 yards rushing were the second-fewest in a Steelers 16-game season to the 1,488 yards of 2003.

Redman believes the numerous injuries in the backfield and offensive line were more responsible for the running game's drop-off than a shortage of talent.

“I take it personally,” Redman said of the criticism given those involved in the Steelers' ground game. “You try not to listen to it, but you hear it. It gets to me. It doesn't do nothing but motivate me, make me work harder. ... We showed those spurts in those couple of games that we could be dominant running the ball.”

The Steelers won four straight games during the middle of the season but dropped five of seven after that as offensive line starters Mike Adams and Willie Colon went down with injuries.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4138032-74/steelers-running-redman#ixzz2VSOxdoue[/URL]
    Wow... look at Dwyer in the background. They need to switch his number from 27 to 77... maybe put him on the OL and add some much needed depth lol!