Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mike Who?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think people respect AB.... I just wish they respected our running game and our OL earlier this year...

Now that Bell is getting touches I think we will see this O continue to improve.

Brown dropped a TD but be honest... it was shocking to see because he doesnt drop passes like Wallace did when he was here. AB leads the league in a few stats.. pretty sure he is feared by defenses.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think people respect AB.... I just wish they respected our running game and our OL earlier this year...

Now that Bell is getting touches I think we will see this O continue to improve.

Brown dropped a TD but be honest... it was shocking to see because he doesnt drop passes like Wallace did when he was here. AB leads the league in a few stats.. pretty sure he is feared by defenses.
    When you are facing the Steelers, he is the guy you would look at in the game plan, but I don't think he is feared. I don't see him backing off coverage or having the type of presence where there is always a deep safety.

Against TN, McCourty was pretty much in his face all day, and he didn't really have answers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    He was free to leave. This year. But the Steelers could have tagged him and traded him, or traded him the year before when it was apparent that he was not going to return.

The Steelers really couldn't tag him and absorb the cap hit and still sign Brown. I think the FO correctly calculated that Brown was the more complete WR and it was better to have Brown locked up versus dealing with the potential of signing multiple WR free agents (Brown, Sanders and a tagged Wallace).

I completely agree with you about trading Wallace. As soon as he did his nonsense about missing camp last summer I would have offered him for a trade because I think it was clear at that point that he was unsignable. Unfortunately our front office does not seem to think that way and IMO it hurts us.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

When you are facing the Steelers, he is the guy you would look at in the game plan, but I don't think he is feared. I don't see him backing off coverage or having the type of presence where there is always a deep safety.

Against TN, McCourty was pretty much in his face all day, and he didn't really have answers.
    Do you think anyone is fearing Wallace? Seems like the league has the book on him too. I really think this is what all WRs go through not named Megatron or Andre Johnson who are just genetic freaks.

They constantly have to evolve their game. IMO, and we may disagree, Brown has done a better job evolving his game and becoming a more complete WR than Wallace. Again IMO, Wallace is still just run fast and hope a pass falls perfectly into his arms because he has a hard time adjusting and rarely wins a fight for the ball.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Like almost every major FA, Mike Wallace was overpaid. He does not have great personal stats, but his team is doing better than the Steelers. Also, as mentioned, he is working with a new QB.

I don't personally care for Wallace, but I also don't care for the way the situation was handled. Wallace walked for essentially nothing. The Steelers will likely get a comp pick next year, but it led ot them trading away what now looks to be a high third round pick for Schmarko.

Wallace was a player with a unique talent on a team that could use more talent. When somebody like that walks for nothing, it leaves a hole that needs to be filled. The Steelers are a team with many needs, and a WR is among those needs. After one win against the Jets (a win in which AB dropped a TD), people seem to forget that nobody respected the Steelers WRs. Aside from the lowly Vikings, the passing game was a liability early in the year, as was the entire offense.
    exactly

tough to keep replacing productive receivers (plax, tone, wallace) who leave for virtually nothing and expect the offense to perform at a high level.

and like you said, trying to then replace them takes away a pick at another position of need

Legend

User Info Menu

That's because AB doesn't run go routes all day. AB is versatile and gets most of his touches in the 5 to 10 yard range on crossong routes.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Interesting to note that 3 players on the Dolphins have more catches and yardage than Mike Wallace to date. He does do a good job at drawing coverage.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    He does do a good job at drawing coverage.
    And a pay check

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the steelers did a nice job addressing the need (a Wallace replacement) in this year's draft.

Marcus Wheaton.. maybe just a "Tick" slower in the 40, but a much better overall receiver coming out of college. Nice pick up. Looking forward to seeing the steelers give him some opportunities to show what he can do.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    "Or else I'll infect your website with malware!!!"
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>