Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Colbert (1/16)

Legend

User Info Menu

Want a fast, shifty change of pace back? Please allow me to suggest the human-highlight reel: Tavon Austin

He played mostly slot receiver at WVU, but could also play RB. He is an awesome return man as well. As you see from the video, his teammates tackle him in the end zone more often than defenders tackle him in the open field. There's fast, then there's Tavon fast. Coach Dana Holgerson says that he has never coached a faster player....ever.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Want a fast, shifty change of pace back? Please allow me to suggest the human-highlight reel: Tavon Austin

He played mostly slot receiver at WVU, but could also play RB. He is an awesome return man as well. As you see from the video, his teammates tackle him in the end zone more often than defenders tackle him in the open field. There's fast, then there's Tavon fast. Coach Dana Holgerson says that he has never coached a faster player....ever.
    He would be a great pick in the second round.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/colbert-steelers-roster-could-undergo-big-changes-670606/[/url]

Read the tone that KC has; it seems a little angry and quite didactic. Maybe that's what it should be. But the only thing that bothers me (as others have noticed) is that it almost sounds like he isn't faulting himself much, like he is ticked off at the players, not realizing he is the primary person who put those players together. On the other hand, he did note that after a 12-4 season you tend to want to keep things as is, and after 8-8 you'd be crazy not to make changes. I guess, over all, I don't mind his mood and tone. Get it done, Kevie. This team needs more than a tweak. You might want to start by someone letting Bonehead Ben to take things a little more seriously BEFORE the season is ruined.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    You might want to start by someone letting Bonehead Ben to take things a little more seriously BEFORE the season is ruined.
    What are you talking about BEFORE the season gets ruined? The season was ruined the moment "bone-head's" other bones (ribs and shoulder) were hurt. Roethlisberger lead us to a 6-3 record with 17 TD's and only 4 INT's (and only 18 sacks) in those 9 games. He was much more of an efficient QB than in any season under Arians, the offense was hitting its stride, and we had won twice as many games as we lost. Then he got hurt, missed 3 games, and clearly wasn't same when he came back, so everything went to crap with us losing 5 of the next 6 games, elimating us from playoff contention.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers’ Kevin Colbert: Sometimes you have to draft character risks

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 18, 2013, 2:13 PM EST

Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert announced last week that he was cutting running back Chris Rainey, just hours after Rainey was arrested — and just nine months after Colbert drafted Rainey, despite character concerns stemming from Rainey’s college career. But Colbert says that doesn’t make him think he can’t draft another character risk this year.

Colbert told TribLive Radio that the issues with Rainey and with fourth-round pick Alameda Ta‘amu, who was arrested for drunk driving, won’t necessarily stop the Steelers from drafting other players with character red flags.

“Going forward, does that mean that you are not going to look at guys who have risk?” Colbert said. “No, I think that is unrealistic because a lot of the guys in the draft pool do have character challenges. It is up to us to assess that and determine if we want to take the risk. If we do, we have to be ready not only if the player does well but the consequences if it doesn‘t work.”

Colbert said the Steelers have passed on players who have great talent because they didn’t trust those players to keep their noses clean off the field. But he also said that sometimes you have to take risks.

“We do homework on players, and we will reject significant players,” Colbert said. “I am talking about first-round talents that [we] decide we don‘t want to assume the risk if they do have a character issue. But when we do assume the risk, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn‘t. Obviously, we had two cases this year that didn‘t work for us and that falls on me because I am the guy who said we can assume this risk.”

And just because the Steelers were burned twice in last year’s draft, that doesn’t mean they’ll only consider choir boys in this year’s draft.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/steelers-kevin-colbert-sometimes-you-have-to-draft-character-risks/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post

No thank you... I'd rather have Ivory.

That way, we could save the 2nd round (premium) pick and draft a ILB/OLB depending on which of those 3 we drafted in the 1st. HOWEVER, if we do go offense in the 2nd, I'd prefer a WR.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't know how a player like Tavon would fit into our system @ about 175 lbs he would get crushed. Rainey was fast too and that didn't work out that well outside of returns.
    If we draft a back he needs to be a combination of power, speed, and one that can carry the ball 20 times or more a game.
    Tavon would be a good addition to a compliment a team that is set with a feature back but we don't have that.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    What are you talking about BEFORE the season gets ruined? The season was ruined the moment "bone-head's" other bones (ribs and shoulder) were hurt. Roethlisberger lead us to a 6-3 record with 17 TD's and only 4 INT's (and only 18 sacks) in those 9 games. He was much more of an efficient QB than in any season under Arians, the offense was hitting its stride, and we had won twice as many games as we lost. Then he got hurt, missed 3 games, and clearly wasn't same when he came back, so everything went to crap with us losing 5 of the next 6 games, elimating us from playoff contention.
    Do rib injuries effect your vision? Because on those season-ending pics (3 of them) he threw directly into the chest or arms of a defender. It wasn't as if the receiver was open and his injury made the bad throw. It was a case of him just carelessly throwing the ball right up there like a gift. THAT would not be caused from a rib injury. They were just idiotic decisions and careless throws that cost us the post season. How you fail to see that is beyond me.
    Last edited by lloydroid; 01-19-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

why even bother with him

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers’ Kevin Colbert: Sometimes you have to draft character risks

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 18, 2013, 2:13 PM EST

Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert announced last week that he was cutting running back Chris Rainey, just hours after Rainey was arrested — and just nine months after Colbert drafted Rainey, despite character concerns stemming from Rainey’s college career. But Colbert says that doesn’t make him think he can’t draft another character risk this year.

Colbert told TribLive Radio that the issues with Rainey and with fourth-round pick Alameda Ta‘amu, who was arrested for drunk driving, won’t necessarily stop the Steelers from drafting other players with character red flags.

“Going forward, does that mean that you are not going to look at guys who have risk?” Colbert said. “No, I think that is unrealistic because a lot of the guys in the draft pool do have character challenges. It is up to us to assess that and determine if we want to take the risk. If we do, we have to be ready not only if the player does well but the consequences if it doesn‘t work.”

Colbert said the Steelers have passed on players who have great talent because they didn’t trust those players to keep their noses clean off the field. But he also said that sometimes you have to take risks.

“We do homework on players, and we will reject significant players,” Colbert said. “I am talking about first-round talents that [we] decide we don‘t want to assume the risk if they do have a character issue. But when we do assume the risk, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn‘t. Obviously, we had two cases this year that didn‘t work for us and that falls on me because I am the guy who said we can assume this risk.”

And just because the Steelers were burned twice in last year’s draft, that doesn’t mean they’ll only consider choir boys in this year’s draft.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/steelers-kevin-colbert-sometimes-you-have-to-draft-character-risks/[/URL]
    We also took Adams and he hasn't done anything wrong off the field.