Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keenan Lewis is developing into a top-notch CB

Legend

User Info Menu

Keenan Lewis is developing into a top-notch CB

Steelers' Lewis develops into top-notch CB

November 3, 2012
    By Dan Gigler / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In a scene that similarly has played out numerous times in the 20-odd years they've known each other, Mike Wallace sat in a folding chair in front of his locker Thursday after practice, playfully busting the chops of childhood friend and teammate Keenan Lewis -- standing just a few feet away -- for getting beat that afternoon in practice.

Lewis, in perfect coverage, had a deep ball snagged over his head by Toney Clemons, who was playing the role of stud New York Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks -- right in front of team owners Dan and Art Rooney II.

"I was saying he was getting better until he got soup ate off his head -- in front of the owners -- both of 'em," Wallace smiled. "He got soup ate off his head -- a guy jumped over him and caught the ball. Took the ball from him. It got real nasty. I felt bad for him."

Wallace continued.

"We go way back like an old man's hairline. I've known Keenan since we were 5 or 6 -- he's been the same guy. He's been the same snotty-nosed little guy since I met him," Wallace said, laughing about his former O. Perry Walker High School teammate who grew up 10 minutes away from him in New Orleans. "I never really liked Keenan to tell you the truth."

Lewis just shook his head at Wallace, as if he has been hearing this kind of thing forever.

But then Wallace dropped his voice to a near-whisper.

"That's my guy, man. He's getting better every day. I see the progression for him every single day when he comes to work. He's a top-notch corner. He had to wait his turn and he's doing a really good job right now."

Lewis, in his first year as a full-time starter, is a large part of why the heavily scrutinized Steelers pass defense is the top-rated unit in the NFL heading into a game Sunday against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

Lewis' three pass breakups last week against the Redskins helped hold rookie phenom quarterback Robert Griffin III to his worst game as a pro. Two others against the Bengals included a dazzling deep ball swat of what would've been a near certain touchdown to receiver A.J. Green.

His career-high four breakups were among the team's few defensive highlights in a loss at Tennessee. Throw in a forced fumble against Philadelphia and consistently solid run support throughout the season for good measure.

Lewis is humbly nonchalant about his play.

"I've been doing OK. I've been doing a decent job. Some things I need to improve on, that I'm working on every day in practice," he said in his thick New Orleans drawl. "It's like anything -- once you repeat doing the same thing, and get more and more experience you should get better."

That game experience has made all the difference for Lewis, who played extensively as a nickel back a year ago and was named a starting cornerback this year.

"He's continued to grow," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "I thought he played well last year and anticipated him steadily improving in the next three or four years, and that's what we're seeing."

Fellow New Orleanians and secondary mate Ryan Clark agrees.

"He's an extremely hard worker," Clark said. "What Keenan is doing, challenging receivers, being physical, constantly having the correct fit in the run defense, constantly being in the right place in coverage -- he's doing what he has to do to be prepared for those situations.

"But ... you have to be in them first. What's happened for Keenan is a gradual acclimation to being a starting corner in the NFL and now he's getting a better handle on not only the physical demands of it, but the mental and emotional demands as well."

Giants receivers Nicks and salsa-dancing Victor Cruz will further test him. But Lewis said facing teammates Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders -- and Wallace -- in practice have hastened his development.

The hyper-competitive Wallace and Lewis have pushed each other since childhood, and while each admits they've made the other better -- conflicting stories emerge from a still-contested footrace between the two 2 years ago.

Neither Lewis nor Wallace will concede defeat.

Wallace's take: "He lost. He said I cheated. I still won, after he tried to knock me out of my lane. This guy has never been faster than me -- only in his dreams can he beat me. He can't even catch me there."

"He tried to get me disqualified by running in my lane," Lewis said. "He won't admit the truth."

Either way, they hope the friendly rivalry continues for years in the NFL.

"You never get this opportunity in life and we got lucky to get it," Wallace said. "We don't take it for granted. We know that it's a blessing every day. That's why we've got to continue to get better so we can stay with each other for a long time."

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-lewis-develops-into-top-notch-cb-660438/#ixzz2BBKUgx6y[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

It's interesting that how Mike Wallace and Keenan Lewis, childhood friends and high school teammates taken 12 picks from each other in the 3rd round of the 2009 draft, are both working off 1 year restricted free agent deals right now and will both be unrestricted free agents at the end of this season. It's quite possible that the money that we give to one of them might prevent us from being able to keep the other one...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

The writer starts off his story talking about how a practice squad wideout takes the ball away from a top notch CB.
    Good one

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    The writer starts off his story talking about how a practice squad wideout takes the ball away from a top notch CB.
    Good one
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe keeping Lewis will be instrumental in keeping Wallace? Or the other way around?

Or the reverse- lose Wallace or Lewis in FA, and the other could walk too?

Lewis has that look- he's a player, and a keeper. And needed too, as Ike is starting to get shown up this year. Now we need either Brown or Allen to step up next season.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Rookie

User Info Menu

That practice squad WR, along with the de-emphasized role of the deep ball in the offense and Wallace's contract demands , may be why Wallace ends up plying elsewhere next year...

Legend

User Info Menu

Keenan Lewis exhibit A in support of the much-reviled LeBeau 2-3 year "redshirt." Lewis was essentially not much better than hot garbage as a rookie and second year player (and based on his glass-breaking tantrum following an awful preseason game in Denver, he was neither physically nor mentally prepared to contribute to the team early on in his career). But the team saw something in him, stuck by him, and he played third corner successfully in year three (on the field for more than half the total defensive snaps) and is a successful starter in year four (on the field for essentially all of the defensive snaps now). Just because players aren't playing immediately as rookies as some would like to see does not mean that the player or LeBeau's system is a failure. Given time to blossom as a professional often leads to a better overall player in the long run than someone who loses confidence by being thrown into the fire before they are truly ready.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Keenan Lewis exhibit A in support of the much-reviled LeBeau 2-3 year "redshirt." Lewis was essentially not much better than hot garbage as a rookie and second year player (and based on his glass-breaking tantrum following an awful preseason game in Denver, he was neither physically nor mentally prepared to contribute to the team early on in his career). But the team saw something in him, stuck by him, and he played third corner successfully in year three (on the field for more than half the total defensive snaps) and is a successful starter in year four (on the field for essentially all of the defensive snaps now). Just because players aren't playing immediately as rookies as some would like to see does not mean that the player or LeBeau's system is a failure. Given time to blossom as a professional often leads to a better overall player in the long run than someone who loses confidence by being thrown into the fire before they are truly ready.

It appears to have worked for Lewis but the complication is now you have to make the decision to resign a player to potentially a big contract with only one year of front line experience. That is a small sample size that can really come back to bite us.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It appears to have worked for Lewis but the complication is now you have to make the decision to resign a player to potentially a big contract with only one year of front line experience. That is a small sample size that can really come back to bite us.
    that's essentially what happened with timmons, but you didn't complain.

oh yeah, he is one of your pets, so he gets a pass.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Or it could mean you keep a great player for a better price.

Who is going to be cheaper -- Mike Wallace, with 4 years of solid evidence as a player, or Keenan Lewis, with 1 year of solid evidence as a player.

If both turn out to be great players, Lewis is the better financial option.