Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Give Yourself Props

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Was he really that good, or were we just fooled? The only thing outstanding he did was blitz. He didn't get a lot of tackles or make plays in the passing game.

For all the grief he gets, Timmons is a much better MLB than Bell. Why all of the love for Bell?
    Bell was like a missile. He could go straight through and destroy anything in his path. He combined the JH power with the LT explosiveness.

I definitely think Timmy's the better all around LB. But Bell was a better finisher and I don't remember him getting as easily rerouted like Timmy sometimes.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

1. The first time we lost to the Patricheats in the playoffs. I thought we had nothing to worry about. Does that fact they were cheating erase my mistake ?

2. I thought McFadden was going to be our lights out corner for years to come.

3. I thought Mendenhall was going to be the next NFL running back sensation.

4. I thought Goodell was going to be a cool dude.

5. I thought Bruce Arians would be a cancer to our team, hold us back, not be able to handle all the talent he had on the offense, keep us from reaching more Super Bowls.
    That our team would somehow succeed despite his stupid coaching and inability to adjust with team talents, team weaknesses and not be able to adjust during the course of
    a game. Oh yeah, I did get that one right.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Bell was like a missile. He could go straight through and destroy anything in his path. He combined the JH power with the LT explosiveness.

I definitely think Timmy's the better all around LB. But Bell was a better finisher and I don't remember him getting as easily rerouted like Timmy sometimes.
    I agree he was a missile and explosive, but I don't think his hype matched his actual performance.

Starter

User Info Menu

Not in a particular order but

1) Bruce Davis = Jason Taylor (not)
    2) Limas Sweed = Burress (not gonna happen)
    3) Frank Summers = Bettis (next)
    4) Thad Gibson = Patrick Willis II (not even close)
    5) Dennis Dixon = RG III before ther was a RG III (not in this lifetime)

Thats just in the last 5 or so years. Thank you Youtube for all of those player highlight reels.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree he was a missile and explosive, but I don't think his hype matched his actual performance.
    Kendrell Bell started 44 games for us from 2001-2003. Then he got hurt and was never the same player again.

In those 3 seasons in Pittsburgh as a starter, though, he had 232 total tackles, 187 solo tackles, 45 assists, 18 sacks, 6 passes defensed, 1 interception, and 2 forced fumbles.

Lawrence Timmons did not have the immediate impact as a rookie like Bell. But once he was named a full time starter at the beginning of the 2009 season, he also started 44 games in his first 3 seasons as a starter from 2009-2011.

In those 3 seasons in Pittsburgh as a starter, though, he had 306 total tackles, 220 solo tackles, 86 assists, 12 sacks, 18 passes defensed, 3 interceptions, and 3 forced fumbles.

Bell is remembered as a seek-and-destroy missile based on his 3 seasons as a starter in Pittsburgh before he got hurt, while Timmons is thought of as somewhat of a disappointment by many Steeler fans. And yet, Timmons leads in every one of those statistical categories except for having 6 fewer sacks (which is certainaly offset by having 74 more total tackles, 12 more PD's, 2 more INT's, and 1 more FF in this 3 season sample).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Remember the Kelly Holcomb game where he threw for all sorts of yards with Bruce Arians?

In that game there was a goalline stand where maybe Earnest Byner? tried to do a goal line leap and Bell hit him in midair and stonewalled him. Incredible play stopping airborne momentum like that.

Legend

User Info Menu

His career was so short, we just got a taste of the potential. And I think we overvalued him a little like we did early on with Timmy. Folks got frustrated with Timmy because he never took that huge leap many thought he could. We never got to see if Bell could make the jump, so I think we just assumed he woulda if healthy.

It's hard to remember back 2 weeks sometimes let alone many seasons. Everyone seems better the longer ago they played. We don't hear everything about these older players like we do the current roster. If we knew as much then, we probably would have completely different perceptions of past players.

The thing I would add is Bell seemed to start out faster than Timmy and so the expectations were even higher.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jj28west View Post
    Remember the Kelly Holcomb game where he threw for all sorts of yards with Bruce Arians?

In that game there was a goalline stand where maybe Earnest Byner? tried to do a goal line leap and Bell hit him in midair and stonewalled him. Incredible play stopping airborne momentum like that.
    Stonewalling Bettis in a live goalline drill during his rookie training camp is what spawned the Bell Legend in the first place.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Kendrell Bell started 44 games for us from 2001-2003. Then he got hurt and was never the same player again.

In those 3 seasons in Pittsburgh as a starter, though, he had 232 total tackles, 187 solo tackles, 45 assists, 18 sacks, 6 passes defensed, 1 interception, and 2 forced fumbles.

Lawrence Timmons did not have the immediate impact as a rookie like Bell. But once he was named a full time starter at the beginning of the 2009 season, he also started 44 games in his first 3 seasons as a starter from 2009-2011.

In those 3 seasons in Pittsburgh as a starter, though, he had 306 total tackles, 220 solo tackles, 86 assists, 12 sacks, 18 passes defensed, 3 interceptions, and 3 forced fumbles.

Bell is remembered as a seek-and-destroy missile based on his 3 seasons as a starter in Pittsburgh before he got hurt, while Timmons is thought of as somewhat of a disappointment by many Steeler fans. And yet, Timmons leads in every one of those statistical categories except for having 6 fewer sacks (which is certainaly offset by having 74 more total tackles, 12 more PD's, 2 more INT's, and 1 more FF in this 3 season sample).
    Agree 100%

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was also cool with Spaeth and thought that Sep was going to be a great pick for us.

On the other side, since I was right about something recently does that mean I get to start my own thread and buy a huge foam hand so I can pat myself on the back with it?
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>