Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Todd Haley or Art Rooney II been calling the plays this preseason?

Legend

User Info Menu

Has Todd Haley or Art Rooney II been calling the plays this preseason?

Steelers, Haley starting off old school

August, 21, 2012
    By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Has Todd Haley or Art Rooney II been calling the plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers this preseason?

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette pointed out that the Steelers have run the ball 58.6 percent of the time in their first two preseason games. That's 75 runs (including Ben Roethlisberger's don't-do-that-again bootleg Sunday) and 53 pass plays.

This could have been a subtle message to former Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who stood on the Heinz Field sideline Sunday as the coordinator for the Colts. Arians, who didn't listen to Rooney's mandate to run the ball more a couple of years ago, watched the Steelers open up Sunday's preseason game with five straight runs.

"I think in the first two preseason games, coach Haley wanted to go out there and create that identity and run the football," quarterback Charlie Batch said.

The most-asked question in Steelers training camp -- well, beside the "When will Mike Wallace show up" one -- is what will Haley's offense look like. If you're one to jump to conclusions, you're thinking the Steelers are going to their old-school roots of running the ball. But I just don't see the Steelers reverting back to a run-heavy offense. There's too much talent in the passing game, starting with Roethlisberger.

When the regular season starts, the Steelers will throw the ball a lot, although they will run the ball more than they did under Arians. Last season, the Steelers only ran the ball 42 percent of the time. I believe Haley when he talked about wanting the offense to be versatile. It will also be easier for the Steelers to call more passing plays once Wallace returns to the team.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/53014/steelers-haley-starting-off-old-school[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Maybe they will actually implement an offense that recognizes what works best against the opposing defense. Run or pass. Something that seemed to be lost on Arians quite often.

Legend

User Info Menu

Rooney's calling the plays. 1975 here we come. Double yoi!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    Maybe they will actually implement an offense that recognizes what works best against the opposing defense. Run or pass. Something that seemed to be lost on Arians quite often.
    Excellent response NW. I personally don't believe Art II wanted Arians to run the ball more or and not be a passing game Art, wanted Arians to give some effort into developing sometype of running game when needed. Me as a fan and many fans know this is now a passing league but, you still need to be able to man up with a running game once in a while or like you said, what might work best against the opposing defense. Arians sucked at being an OC and always will under his own mental steam. He has had Peyton, Ben and now Luck to hide behind. Screw Arians and the talent he wasted over the years by not using them correctly, sticking to plays that didn't work, straying from plays that did work, and just not being able to make correct adjustments.
    Was that our last Super Bowl that stupid asss didn't go after the Bays backup corner with the reasoning of, " we don't do things that way or we stick to our game plan " anyway, it was something stupid and more proof this jackass had to go.

I'm glad to see our offense trying to get some indentity with the running game again and not being so transparent as Arians and his brainless schemes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Haley seemed to be calling plays based on the defense. In Philly, they've got a pass rush like nobody else. Best way to slow it down - quick hits and screens. Seems he was working on the short passing game.

Against Indy, let's work on seeing was DD, Pouncey, and Colon can do in the middle and run the ball. Seems to me like Haley was working on specific things with specific players in both cases.

I thought is was interesting seeing NE working on the same things against Philly.

The preseason's about working on what you've got to work on and practicing situational football. I think some folks are over thinking this. Art II isn't calling the plays. Anyone ever consider this is the football Tomlin wants to play?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Nice take on things flippy. I also think Haley was calling the right stuff since it is the preseason, allowing Ben some protection with the play calls due to a couple of rookies protecting him while, other guys are learning their new positions. Once Haley learns his teams strenghts/weaknesses and gets a feel for the players during regular season Haley, will also improve much more.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Nice take on things flippy. I also think Haley was calling the right stuff since it is the preseason, allowing Ben some protection with the play calls due to a couple of rookies protecting him while, other guys are learning their new positions. Once Haley learns his teams strenghts/weaknesses and gets a feel for the players during regular season Haley, will also improve much more.
    I'm guessing when Wally comes back and Haley sees him run by everyone on every play, he'll design every play for Ben to hold the ball until Wally gets open deep.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

are you serious ?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Excellent response NW. I personally don't believe Art II wanted Arians to run the ball more or and not be a passing game Art, wanted Arians to give some effort into developing sometype of running game when needed. Me as a fan and many fans know this is now a passing league but, you still need to be able to man up with a running game once in a while or like you said, what might work best against the opposing defense. Arians sucked at being an OC and always will under his own mental steam. He has had Peyton, Ben and now Luck to hide behind. Screw Arians and the talent he wasted over the years by not using them correctly, sticking to plays that didn't work, straying from plays that did work, and just not being able to make correct adjustments.

Was that our last Super Bowl that stupid asss didn't go after the Bays backup corner with the reasoning of, " we don't do things that way or we stick to our game plan " anyway, it was something stupid and more proof this jackass had to go.

I'm glad to see our offense trying to get some indentity with the running game again and not being so transparent as Arians and his brainless schemes.
    BOOM!!!! I for one am looking forward to our new offense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am too. Arians was just pathetic and he sat upon many talents that could have been utilized. Maybe not even as much as that but, he sure didn't go into the think tank when possibly plays, schemes or whatever could have helped out a struggeling Steeler team or called plays for the Steeler to put their foot down on an opponent. Rooney knew this guy had to go. Never in the past did we see or hear anything from the Rooneys but again, Rooney knew what us fas knew.
    Last edited by fezziwig; 08-22-2012 at 09:40 PM.