Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Greene retires: Doesn't Like Steelers attitude

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    We need a leader like BC who by the sheer force of his will stopped Ben from riding his bike without a helmet. Who knows what would have happened were it not for Ben's respectful attitude toward the leadership of BC.
    BC is too busy with TWC commercials that are on every second I watch TV in NC.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Do you honestly believe a speech by a coach will change the attitude of a player that has been brought up and ingrained with me-first, money-me attitude? these kids are immersed in it every single day if you watch any tv at all. Any parent will tell you that by the time a kid reaches age 16 they are pretty much unteachable and you only hope they have the mental makeup to make good decisions.

I think Greene is merely pointing out that something with the NFL has changed. Is it the teams, the coaching, or more likely the players who have changed the most? Free agency produces haves and have nots, and there is constant jousting to move from one to the other. That is the upmanship Greene is talking about. How does a player even justify signing a contract thinking they are being justly rewarded, only to turn around two years later deciding he is not. Has his talent changed that much?..doubtful.

stepping down from the box now....
    hmm... leadership involves a little more than speeches.

Anyways, I'm not disagreeing with your thoughts. Just saying Cowher had a better handle on the locker room than tomblin does.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Need more Heaths, less Wallaces.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

wasnt wallass a top notch person when he was drafted?
    didnt the 'real' fans claim he was a 'steeler type' player?
    wasnt he a humble guy that had great character and work ethic?

what happened?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    wasnt wallass a top notch person when he was drafted?
    didnt the 'real' fans claim he was a 'steeler type' player?
    wasnt he a humble guy that had great character and work ethic?

what happened?
    I think he really was a cancer because he was really popular and well liked in the locker room. It was a double edged sword when he went for the money. All WRs are a bunch of goofballs for the most part.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    hmm... leadership involves a little more than speeches.

Anyways, I'm not disagreeing with your thoughts. Just saying Cowher had a better handle on the locker room than tomblin does.
    Well Ben staight ignored BC to his face THEN told the media what he did.

My point is not that Tomlin is "better", it is that you cannot make grown men who have "entitlement" issues listen to you.
    If Tomlin deserves criticism, (along with the rest of the personel team) perhaps its bring in players with bad attitudes.

This year's draft of boyscout types might mean they are learning from prior mistakes. Note the following:

[URL]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/05/this-year-the-steelers-drafted-a-class-of-character-as-opposed-to-class-with-characters/[/URL]

BC as good as he was aint gonna fix a Wallace or Rainey.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Always, always liked Joe Greene's attitude.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

blaming wallace is just as dumb as blaming tomlin.

blame human nature.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Always, always liked Joe Greene's attitude.
    Joe Greene would have walked given a chance before the Steelers won the SB.
    He had to be talked out of leaving the team, even though there was no free agency.
    If there was free agency he would have left.
    He had no love or loyalty to the Steelers until the SBs.

Young Joe Greene was an undiciplined dirty player. A great player but DIRTY.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Starter

User Info Menu

Joe Greene gets nothing but respect from me. But in this case, I cant help but feel like he's just another old guy complaining about "kids today."

There wasn't really any free agency when Mean Joe played, so he's right that there wasn't the one-upmanship that's here today. I think the Steelers recognized the players that had "issues" and got rid of them (Wallace, Mendenhall). Ryan Clark spoke about this today on espn. Greene even says that he wasn't around the team that much. He was a scout who lived in another city.

Pittsburgh's done about as good a job as possible through the years, but it's completely naive to think that this is the first time in history they've had some issues with "me first" players. Those guys don't usually stick around here too long, and this time is no different.

As far as Tomlin "losing" this team? That's laughable. Any time a team has a subpar season, people say this. They said it about Cowher, said it about Noll, and some say it about Tomlin. It's a lazy criticism. Criticize talent, criticize scheme, but saying a coach has "lost" his team is a weak argument.

Anyway, Joe Greene will go down as one of the greatest Steelers ever, but in this case he's off base.