Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Position preview: Cornerback

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Because you were in the war room?

I had gilbert higher than Shazier as well

I believe I had gilbert 7 and shazier 13.

Dennard and Mosely 23 and 28, respectively

I would hope they had gilbert higher and the dennard thing was just entirely a smoke screen. Gilbert was a better fit, better ball skills, return ability, and could play FS if needed.
    Actually, it was released by someone that was in the war room. Possibly, Colbert himself. When I get a bit more time, I'll do research for you since you apparently haven't heard of google.com.

Administrator

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349573/article/shazier-camp-talked-to-cowboys-before-steelers-pick[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Actually, it was released by someone that was in the war room. Possibly, Colbert himself. When I get a bit more time, I'll do research for you since you apparently haven't heard of google.com.
    Yeah, none of that is true. Its been "reported" they wanted to take gilbert or Beckham but im sure they wanted to take mack and matthews too.

Speculating on who they would have taken if the best players were still on the board...thats funny. Didnt realize **** spewed by Chris Wesseling was gospel. The article itself says "its unclear where wesseling got this information" which makes it as credible as......making it up

[url]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-nfl-draft/2014/5/12/5709514/steelers-draft-2014-justin-gilbert-ryan-shazier-odell-beckham-browns-giants[/url]

Administrator

User Info Menu

NFL.com making up a story AFTER the draft for some massive conspiracy theory. Now, it all make sense. Apparently, you didn't see where the Steelers had CB listed on their board? How about #1. Gilbert was clearly the #1 CB and CB was clearly the #1 positional need. Who was the second gunman on the grassy knoll?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    NFL.com making up a story AFTER the draft for some massive conspiracy theory. Now, it all make sense. Apparently, you didn't see where the Steelers had CB listed on their board? How about #1. Gilbert was clearly the #1 CB and CB was clearly the #1 positional need. Who was the second gunman on the grassy knoll?
    It just sounds like some bs. Steeler never say their board, never release it, and never say "well, we really wanted this guy but we had to settle for this guy instead"

Closest thing i ever remember was them saying Heyward was their guy the whole time and they figured hed be there, and that they "tried" to trade up for max unger

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers' Blake prefers secondary job

By Ralph N. Paulk
    Friday, Aug. 1, 2014

Steelers cornerback Antwon Blake covers during practice Thursday, July 31, 2014 at St. Vincent College.

Position: Cornerback

Height/weight: 5-foot-9, 198 pounds

College: UTEP

Experience: Third year (undrafted free agent, 2012 by Jacksonville)

Career highlights: Led Jacksonville with 12 special teams tackles in 2012. ... Had 11 special teams tackles in first year with Steelers in 2013.

Antwon Blake tossed and turned most nights during the offseason, in part, because he couldn't stop thinking about the preseason opener against the New York Giants.

This isn't just another exhibition game for the third-year cornerback. A lot will be at stake when he celebrates his 24th birthday Aug. 9 amid the lights at MetLife Stadium.

Blake is a determined headhunter on the Steelers' special teams. However, he possesses loftier expectations, including a chance to prove he can cover the league's top receivers.

“I can't get on the field until I learn the plays and consistently shut down receivers,” he said. “When I get my opportunity, I don't want to make any mistakes.”

Blake played sparingly in the secondary last season. But veteran cornerback Ike Taylor predicts Blake will get tossed into the fray this season.

“He's got all the tools, but he just has to be consistent,” Taylor said. “He's got to do that on game day. It'll put him in a good position.

“Blake isn't going anywhere. He's gone from being on special teams to finding a way in the rotation (in the secondary).”

At times, Blake has been able to match Pro Bowl receiver Antonio Brown stride for stride during the early days of training camp at St. Vincent. Yet the UTEP product understands the coaching staff will watch with greater scrutiny as he auditions against the Giants.

“I feel like I'm a pretty good corner,” Blake said. “I didn't come in with the same accolades as some guys, so I was overlooked. I don't have a problem working my way into the spotlight.”

Blake has had to earn his way in the NFL since signing with Jacksonville as an undrafted free agent in 2012. Even though most scouts projected him as a late-round selection, Blake wasn't among the 31 cornerbacks taken during the NFL Draft.

In fact, the Steelers used a seventh-round compensatory pick to take the last cornerback, Terrence Frederick.

“I felt I was better than a lot of guys who were drafted,” Blake said. “A lot of those guys are out of the league, and I'm still fighting.”

Blake was a standout on special teams in Jacksonville, leading the Jaguars with 13 special teams tackles in his rookie season. However, after failing to adapt at free safety, he was released the following preseason.

“I started playing safety at Jacksonville, and I feel as if I got lost in the wash,” he said. “They liked my physical skills and my knowledge of the game, but they felt I was a better fit at safety. At that time in my career, I was trying to learn every position on the field.”

The Steelers signed him off waivers partly because of injuries to cornerbacks Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown, who had been the Steelers' most-productive player on special teams, but the coaches' confidence in him eroded with every nagging injury.

As a result, Blake was given another shot.

“When I got release, I was shocked,” Blake said. “I wasn't on the street too long before the Steelers called. I wanted to get to Pittsburgh as fast as I could and do whatever they wanted me to.

“But Jacksonville added a little more fuel to my fire. I told myself I didn't want to be in that position again.

“I realize it's a blessing to be in the NFL, and it's something I don't want to take for granted. The one thing I can control is my work ethic and my desire to be a significant contributor on this team.”

During the offseason, Blake concentrated on expanding his role, working on his technique, speed, strength, quickness and cover skills.

No one has been as impressed as special teams coach Danny Smith.

“I love him to death,” Smith said. “He's fun to be around, and he's going to be a great player because he wants to be. He's got speed. He's got strength. He's got quickness.

“He came in with a purpose. He's always busting his butt. It gives me confidence going into a stadium. When you punt the football, and you have Antwon Blake, there's a level of comfort for a coach because we're know what he's going to get done.”

Blake, of course, is hoping to earn the confidence of secondary coach Carnell Lake and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

“If I can get into a game, the trust will come,” he said. “I know as a second-teamer, I'll be in there rather quickly in that first preseason game. I just want to be ready to make a play. I keep telling myself to put something on tape that I'll be proud of.”

Blake has been as impressive in man coverage as Taylor, Cortez Allen and William Gay.

“What makes a great player is attention to detail,” Smith said. “He'll be a big-time contributor to our special teams, but he'll help our defense, too. I trust him because he makes a lot of plays.”

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6519516-74/blake-special-teams#ixzz39C8thK8e[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Mark Kaboly @MarkKaboly_Trib ·

William Gay playing a little first team safety

[URL]https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib[/URL]

Starter

User Info Menu

I just spent many days and hours doing an in depth analysis of the secondary. It must have been a dozen pages long. I just dumped it or rather condensed into the following.

This bunch is going to surprise a lot of people. [in a good way]

Legend

User Info Menu

There hasn't been much reported and Richardson. Has anyone heard or seen how he is playing?

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    There hasn't been much reported and Richardson. Has anyone heard or seen how he is playing?

Pappy
    #2 gunner with Blake, and he knocked DHB out with a knee to the head on sideline coverage...lol