Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had told me that an ex-Steeler would tweet something stupid re: current events

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post

I would encourage you to read Romans 1:18-32, which says that homosexual behavior is the result of God’s judgment on people who reject Him—He “gives them over,” it says, to a “debased mind.” However, according to that passage, homosexual behavior is not the only sinful product of a debased mind.
    In these verses of Romans, Paul talks about men making a choice to abandon natural relations with women for their lusts for one another. So he's condemning unnatural sexual relations - heteros choosing homo relations outside the context of marriage. Paul says nothing about homos being homos.

At the end of the day, is being a homo a choice? Do you remember making a choice of liking men or women? I don't. It never was a choice. Maybe those Christians that think it's a choice have had thoughts about both men and women and considered having relations with both. That must be why they think it's a choice. I've never considered a homo relationship, so it wasn't a choice for me. Likewise, I believe homos when they tell me they just like guys or girls without thinking about a choice. They just are what they are.

And if it's natural to be homo or hetero, that should be fine for everyone. For the non Christians, they don't care. For the Christians, they know that everything God created was good.

Christians throw away lots of ideas from the Bible because they're silly. Paul's world view that homo vs hetero is a choice is one of those silly ideas that's in the Bible that made sense in his time that makes no sense.

The Bible is a story of salvation. It's a great story. But it doesn't make sense to take every word literally. It was a historical book written in a specific time period for a specific purpose with a specific audience. It's also written from one side of the story. And that's fine. We each bring our experiences to it when we read it and it can have a profound effect on people. So I get that people take this very seriously because the power of the story changes people's lives. And that's a great thing for those people.

But at the end of the day we get out of it what we bring into our reading of the book. I figure about 100% of what we think or know is most likely wrong.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    So I have to go all the way back to the original hebrew transcripts to find a "clean" version of the bible? Yet almost no church anywhere uses that version. Bizarre.

I didn't bring religion up, it was out before I even looked at this thread a second time. It always is because it's the _only_ justification folks have for denying other people happiness. This is something obviously sensitive to NON religious people as well. It goes both ways here. I'm every bit as entitled to my faith or lack there of.
    It's called the old King James Bible. Perfectly translated with texts to show you what each word means in Hebrew. You can get them at any book store.

Its only happiness if your for it. Which is why you'll never understand so why are you still talking.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hahaha. The religious guy throwing up a link for a 'Religious Science' website. Wasn't too long ago people were walking around with verses of the good book in their pockets pointing to passages showing how God cursed blacks and said they are to be the white mans slaves. Dinosaurs were walking around 100k years ago, noah really did put 2 of every animal on earth on the ark, and evolution is a myth...
    @_Hellgrammite

Rookie

User Info Menu

I really hate for my first forum post to be about religion... I really don't.

However... The person throwing out the Leviticus verses on homosexuality.

In the same section of Leviticus It says the following.

Eating Shellfish is an abomination THREE TIMES!

Shaving is bad.

T-Shirts are bad (mixed fabrics are forbidden in Leviticus)

---

You can hate homosexuals all you want, but don't pretend that its not coming from purely a place of hatred, because you cant of missed the quotes right next to the Gay parts of Levitius...

Legend

User Info Menu

Soooo.... I didn't mean to start a whole discussion on gay rights here. I was more saying "Har, har, look another twitter idiot. Looks like we got rid of two instead of one." Since we're in the middle of it:

I'm always a little taken back how religion is always invoked in discussions about homosexuality. There are a lot of controversial sins that get discussed w/o religion being tossed out there. Murder, rape, theft, being a Raven, etc. My only conclusion is that the only thing that is making homosexuality taboo IS religion. It's not limited to Christianity, but the confusing thing about Christianity is that Jesus never said much on the subject. The verse that's ALWAYS quoted is from the Old Testament, and is sandwiched in between other things that no one follows or gives a **** a bout. It's all very confusing to recovering Catholic, now atheist such as myself.
    I think this thread proves Wally's a douche and so are we

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I just finished reading Chely Wright's book, Like Me. Chely is a country singer who has recognized her sexual predispositions since very early in life, and came out not long ago. There is also a recent documentary filmed about her, entitled "Wish Me Away" which is quite impactful.
    [URL]http://www.wishmeawaydoc.com/[/URL]

Chely is a Christian woman. Her story is of interest related to this topic, as it raises awareness of her experience and others like her. It (I think) also raises compassion, which I believe is an important Christian and human capacity.
    Last edited by DukieBoy; 04-30-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So... for some reason I can't reach planetsteelers.com from my home IP anymore. Pretty odd, eh?

Gotta wonder why/how that happened.

Intolerance for other viewpoints is the bedrock of DOOMED society.

-Russ

Legend

User Info Menu

There are a lot of controversial sins that get discussed w/o religion being tossed out there. Murder, rape, theft, being a Raven, etc.
    being a Raven is by far the worst sin of all...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    I just finished reading Chely Wright's book, Like Me. Chely is a country singer who has recognized her sexual predispositions since very early in life, and came out not long ago. There is also a recent documentary filmed about her, entitled "Wish Me Away" which is quite impactful.
    [URL]http://www.wishmeawaydoc.com/[/URL]

Chely is a Christian woman. He story is of interest related to this topic, as it raises awareness of he experience and others like her. It (I think) also raises compassion, which I believe is an important Christian and human capacity.
    [URL="http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&docid=Z 3vgq5tSHhQDlM&tbnid=W5zZo30mFQHrGM:&ved=&url=http% 3A%2F%2Fwww.examiner.com%2Farticle%2Fnot-your-normal-sad-ole-song-c-w-star-chely-wright-tells-people-she-s-a-lesbian&ei=Sl6AUbuQAYGW8gS5kIDADQ&bvm=bv.45645796, d.eWU&psig=AFQjCNE9b8UuPw5FqXpd5la1WeIGEjE24A&ust= 1367453631797190"][/URL]

Thanks for the pointer. I'm always interested what interesting people are reading about.

BTW She's cute. I'm all for hot lesbians.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    being a Raven is by far the worst sin of all...
    LOL Although I think Bengals sin more.