Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones Demoted

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    Strange that other teams seem to get more out of their rookies and the Steelers can't.

Maybe the defense doesn't need to be so complex to be successful..... not like it's been really successful over the last year anyways.
    Bing! Bing! Bing! We have a winner!

Carson Palmer said last time he beat us with the Raiders that they knew exactly what was coming from the defense.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Philly said he hoped it motivated him to be better with DISCIPLINE and learning his ASSIGNMENTS...

you've been bashing the Lebeau Encyclapedia for 5 years and now you wonder if a rooke lacks motivation? LOL...
    LOL...you miss the point that the Encyclopedia is the issue. It doesn't need to be so complex.

I didn't say he lacked motivation but simply responded and offered an opinion to Philly's comment about him needing motivated. Nice try!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    IMO Jone will be OK. I don't think he will be the great pass rusher others do but he will be better than average and good for about 7-8 sacks per year. I would love to be wrong and see him become the next Kevin Greene, but not banking on it.
    If he is better than average and we have 7-8 sacks from him for several years then he is fully worth it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    LOL...you miss the point that the Encyclopedia is the issue. It doesn't need to be so complex.

I didn't say he lacked motivation but simply responded and offered an opinion to Philly's comment about him needing motivated. Nice try!
    Not sure what I was "trying" to do...

I agree about the complexity and I think that was exactly what Philly was addressing.

it just seemed odd to suggest Jones has bigger issues if he needed help being motivated to understand the complexity...
    Last edited by feltdizz; 10-30-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Could be the players or the position coaches that share in the responsibility. For some reason, Carnell seems to be able to get his young players playing and contributing quicker than the other positions. He's got a good track record going with young players like Allen and Shark coming in right away and playing.

Why do Mitchell and Butler need 3 years of retraining before we get anything from young guys on their units? And the DLine and LBs are the units getting the premiere picks in the draft. So the transition should be easier for their rookies.
    "keep the man in front of you and tackle the football" is a little easier than filling multiple gaps, crashing, dropping in coverage, etc...

I know the DB's have more assignments but the OLB probably has the most responsibility on the team. JH used to walk off in frustration before he figured it out. Hell, didn't he ignore his assignment vs AZ in the SB on the GL?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    "keep the man in front of you and tackle the football" is a little easier than filling multiple gaps, crashing, dropping in coverage, etc...

I know the DB's have more assignments but the OLB probably has the most responsibility on the team. JH used to walk off in frustration before he figured it out. Hell, didn't he ignore his assignment vs AZ in the SB on the GL?
    I've heard Mitchell drone on and on about rebuilding guys before they are ready to contribute. I've heard Butler go on about complexities for LBs and the time it takes to learn responsibilities. But when I've heard Carnell talk about it, he says it's complex but not really all that difficult and it's his job to make it easy for the guys to get up to speed quickly and contributing.

I really think it's completely different approaches in coaching at the positions.

I dunno, maybe we need to draft smarter players or hire better coaches to implement DL's schemes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I've heard Mitchell drone on and on about rebuilding guys before they are ready to contribute. I've heard Butler go on about complexities for LBs and the time it takes to learn responsibilities. But when I've heard Carnell talk about it, he says it's complex but not really all that difficult and it's his job to make it easy for the guys to get up to speed quickly and contributing.

I really think it's completely different approaches in coaching at the positions.

I dunno, maybe we need to draft smarter players or hire better coaches to implement DL's schemes.
    It's time to ditch the scheme...

Legend

User Info Menu

Jarvis Jones says Steelers want him to be more technical and technique-sound

PITTSBURGH -- Jarvis Jones didn't start the past two games at right outside linebacker and played just two snaps during the second half at Oakland, but the Pittsburgh Steelers No. 1 pick appears to be taking the demotion in stride.
    Jones missed the Baltimore game due to a concussion and had a limited practice week, so he didn't start against the Raiders, either. However, missed assignments, according to head coach Mike Tomlin, were the reason Jones played sparingly in the second half and was listed behind veteran Jason Worilds on the depth chart again this week.

The Steelers (2-5) visit the New England Patriots (6-2) Sunday at 4:25 p.m. at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass.

"It's definitely a learning curve, (but) I think everybody knew that even before I got here," Jones said Wednesday before practice. "It's been said that Coach LeBeau's defense is a challenge, and everybody knows that. So, I've just got to keep chopping wood, stay in the film room and stay in my playbook. And just keep learning, (but) it's not going to happen overnight.

"So, I just have to stay positive about it and keep learning. It's been a challenge since Day 1, and it's going to be a challenge all year. The main thing is that you've got to take the positive out of it and just stay positive. You have to keep your confidence and keep working. You're always one play away from playing, so that's now I look at it. I respect this game, and I love it. So, I'm just going to keep working to get better to be ready for my next opportunity."

While Jones' play certainly hasn't earned him more snaps, one might ascertain that he would be better served by learning on the field. Jones had another thought on that topic.

"You've got to take different views about things," Jones said. "I think we do a great job of preparation and film study. And there are a lot of guys, with my coaches and teammates, who are willing to answer any questions that I might have. So, I've got to raise those questions.

"They just want me to be more technical and technique-sound, and I understand that. Anything that I've got to do, I want to embrace that. So, it's a positive note for myself, and it's a challenge. So, I've just got to keep on working and approach this every day as a positive."

No matter how positive Jones, his teammates and his coaches remain, the former Georgia playmaker just hasn't clicked in the NFL. He has just three quarterback pressures and no sacks with 15 total tackles, including 13 solo stops, in six games.

"It's hard, but I think it'll come," Jones said. "And I think, after the first one, they'll start rolling in. So, I've just got to keep chopping wood. Nothing in the NFL is given to you. So, you've got to keep working and have confidence. We've still got a lot of ball games to play, and there's still a lot of plays to be made. So, I've got to stay focused and take advantage of my opportunities.

"I haven't been playing football for a long time, so this hasn't happened before to me. But I'm not looking at it like I'm second on the depth chart or that I'm playing behind somebody. They're making moves that are the best for our team, so I'm sure that I'll still get my handful of plays. And I'll still get my opportunities, but I just have to take advantage of them when I do get them."

If Jones can turn things around, he should leap-frog Worilds on the depth chart, because it's not like Worilds has been a huge impact player during his three-plus NFL seasons. In fact, Worilds has been underwhelming, for the most part, since the Steelers chose him in the second round in 2010.

With a first- and second-round draft pick trying to replace undrafted and unwanted for several years, James Harrison, one would think the No. 1 pick -- Jones -- would have more of an upside since he hasn't even played half a season. If Jones is impatient, he hasn't shown it. "I think our coaches do a great job of putting us in good situations and making the best decisions for the team," Jones said. "So, that's what they did, but I don't feel any different. I've just got to continue to work.

"It's something that I know I've got to do and just continue to better my skills and continue to do what my coaches and teammates ask of me."

[url]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/10/30/5048012/steelers-jarvis-jones-benched-week-9-patriots-comments[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Not buying "his progress is slow because the defense is complex" explanation. It's the freaking position he played in college, not like he was chinese and needs to learn greek.
    Jones biggest fault is that he is not all that strong for an OLB in the NFL. He really needs to train-up in the offseason if he is going to take on LTs in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll give him credit - he's saying all the right things and the attitude and drive to be better seems real. Take whatever positives you can take!