Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben Says "Haley's Offense is....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The big plays will come. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Steelers have 2-100 yard receiver's next week considering the Redskins have the 32nd ranked pass defense in the league. I have a feeling Ben, Antonio, Heath, Mike, and Manny will have huge games next week.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    too many long drives that end with FG's

This.

My one beef with Haley's offense is using Rainey, a smurf, to run between the tackles. I know he scored a TD on one of these plays, but more often than not they resulted in zero or negative rush yds. Rainey and Batch are easily tackled with one arm. need to figure a way to get them out in space, maybe a RB screen?
    Some play where there aren't so many bodies around.

Legend

User Info Menu

Put in the Dwyer MiniBus!!

(Not the short bus ... I remember that, too bumpy. Uhh, I mean, ... I read that in wikipedia, or something!)

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers' Roethlisberger staying upright in Haley’s new offense

By Alan Robinson
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Todd Haley talk on the sideline in Sept. 2012 at Sports Authority Colisuem.

Up-right. adj. Having the main axis or main part perpendicular or vertical.

Perhaps the best quality of Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s system is that’s exactly how Ben Roethlisberger is playing most of the time. Upright.

Quarterbacks are judged in many ways. How they run a team, how they throw the deep pass, how they handle pressure on and off the field. But no quarterback can successfully manage a team if he’s on his backside, or exactly where Roethlisberger found himself more than any other NFL quarterback over the previous five seasons.

The decision to allow former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to walk away and to hire Haley was made partly because of those 215 sacks from 2007-11. As Roethlisberger turned 30, the Steelers felt the need to keep their franchise player — their main axis — on the field but off the turf as much as possible.

One of Roethlisberger’s once-frequent targets suggests it was time for a change.

“Sometimes when you get so close, partiality sets in and you don’t know if Bruce Arians is doing what’s best for the Steelers or if he’s doing what’s best for Ben Roethlisberger,” said former Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, now an NBC analyst. “I think that set in and they had to part ways because when you go out there and you can’t decide what’s best for the team and you’re doing what’s best for the players, that can be a problem.”

The Steelers didn’t hire Haley to be Roethlisberger’s best friend, but to bring out the best in him.

And while the two aren’t as close as Roethlisberger and Arians were, the numbers suggest the change has been good for the quarterback.

Roethlisberger has been sacked 13 times, or exactly half as many times as Aaron Rodgers of Green Bay. A year ago, Roethlisberger had been sacked five more times.

His 1,765 yards passing are the second most he’s had at this stage of any season, and he has 11 touchdown passes and only three interceptions. While under heavy pressure, the toughest conditions for throwing, Roethlisberger was 6 of 9 for 43 yards in Sunday’s win at Cincinnati.

“He is playing at a very high level,” Haley said recently. “Some of the little and newer things that he hadn’t done in a while, the quick throws and things like that, he’s been excellent at. He’s also been really good at keeping plays alive when we’ve needed it. The key with him is to just keep getting better.”

While Roethlisberger referred Friday to Haley’s approach as “dink and dunk,” the statistics shown the Steelers aren’t exactly employing a West Coast offense.

According to Pro Football Focus, Roethlisberger has thrown 26 passes of 20 yards-plus, exactly as many as Rodgers has and one more than Peyton Manning of Denver. Matt Schaub of Texas and Tony Romo of Dallas have tried just 21 such passes.

Against the Bengals, Roethlisberger had completions of 23, 20, 21, 20, 16, 31 and 30 yards, and he would have had more such yardage if so many passes hadn’t been dropped.

Until Jonathan Dwyer ran for 122 yards in Cincinnati, Roethlisberger had operated all season with barely a semblance of a running game to support him.

“We’ve had some successes and obviously there’s some things we need to improve upon that I think we’re in the midst of improving upon,” coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday.

Perhaps the biggest success has been keeping Roethlisberger upright, or exactly where the Steelers need him to be.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/2819400-85/roethlisberger-steelers-haley-exactly-yards-passes-quarterback-arians-doing-main#ixzz2AMvN5B7V[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought Ben bucked the dink and dunk Sunday night against the Bumgals by trying to force a throw to Heath in double coverage. The dink and dunk play was there wide open in the flat that could have easily produced a first down inside the 20 yard line.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

You can take a boy out of the long pass, but you can't take the long pass out of the boy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    You can take a boy out of the long pass, but you can't take the long pass out of the boy.
    Word.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    The big plays will come. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Steelers have 2-100 yard receiver's next week considering the Redskins have the 32nd ranked pass defense in the league. I have a feeling Ben, Antonio, Heath, Mike, and Manny will have huge games next week.
    what if Haley goes full Arians and runs the ball 50 times?

Legend

User Info Menu

maybe Haley's offense is dink and dunk, but Ben has only been sacked 5 times in the last 5 games and only 13 times so far this season.

protecting our franchise QB was probably the biggest reason why Haley was hired and Arians was let go and I would say so far it looks like the right decision was made.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    maybe Haley's offense is dink and dunk, but Ben has only been sacked 5 times in the last 5 games and only 13 times so far this season.

protecting our franchise QB was probably the biggest reason why Haley was hired and Arians was let go and I would say so far it looks like the right decision was made.
    I always said Ben was a better "dink and dunk" QB than he was a long ball thrower. We just needed a Coord with a strong enough will to force him to do it. This will keep Ben healthy for the playoffs (if we make them). Everyone in flourishing in this offense, except for maybe Wallace's contract negotiations and that makes me like it even more.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"