Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Says He Won't Take a Paycut--Bye James!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Uh...one member of the Steelers Nation will not love Harrison in another uniform and that is me. Once they choose to suit up for the enemy I have no affinity for these guys at all. My loyalty is to the organization not temporary occupants of a certain position.
    Well, it won't be Harrison's fault he wears different colours next season, so Chadman at least won't hold it against him.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Well, it won't be Harrison's fault he wears different colours next season, so Chadman at least won't hold it against him.
    So you will be pulling for him to sack Ben? Not me. I'll be pulling for him to pull a hamstring gainst the Steelers.

The way I see it is that when he is gone, he is gone.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

So you will be pulling for him to sack Ben? Not me. I'll be pulling for him to pull a hamstring gainst the Steelers.

The way I see it is that when he is gone, he is gone.
    You mistake supporting him to succeed against us with effection toward the player he has been for the Steelers.

Regardless of who he plays for, he'll be one of Chadman's more favourite recent Steelers. Doesn't mean Chadman wants to see him go medieval on the Steelers.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

James Harrison is the one player of all the current players that from a personal perspective if I were the GM I would do everything to retain his services until he sees fit to retire. When I think about the Steelers of the 70s as a kid and the attitude that Lambert gave to the game and Steelers, his work ethic, the 100% effort every stinkin play and the great plays that went along with those qualities, I see James Harrison.

His work ethic and disposition remind me of Lambert, his splash plays remind me of Lambert and his love of the game that has been good to him are beyond reproach in my opinion. I would do everything possible to keep him a Steeler until he says he's had enough, he's the Lambert of this decade. I'm going to miss his "FU" attitude towards Goodell and his passion to hit hard and make the offense pay physically and mentally for having him make a tackle. I really hope it isn't this year, I want to see what's left in the tank. I believe there's a lot more left than we are giving him credit. I need to see with my own eyes that his days of being dominant are done.

Harrison rehabbed the injury while playing and got stronger game by game, if you're falling apart physically that doesn't happen. I'm going to miss me some James Harrison some day (hopefully, not 2013), not looking forward to seeing another player wearing #92.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    James Harrison is the one player of all the current players that from a personal perspective if I were the GM I would do everything to retain his services until he sees fit to retire. When I think about the Steelers of the 70s as a kid and the attitude that Lambert gave to the game and Steelers, his work ethic, the 100% effort every stinkin play and the great plays that went along with those qualities, I see James Harrison.

His work ethic and disposition remind me of Lambert, his splash plays remind me of Lambert and his love of the game that has been good to him are beyond reproach in my opinion. I would do everything possible to keep him a Steeler until he says he's had enough, he's the Lambert of this decade. I'm going to miss his "FU" attitude towards Goodell and his passion to hit hard and make the offense pay physically and mentally for having him make a tackle. I really hope it isn't this year, I want to see what's left in the tank. I believe there's a lot more left than we are giving him credit. I need to see with my own eyes that his days of being dominant are done.

Harrison rehabbed the injury while playing and got stronger game by game, if you're falling apart physically that doesn't happen. I'm going to miss me some James Harrison some day (hopefully, not 2013), not looking forward to seeing another player wearing #92.

Pappy

There was no salary cap when Lambert played. That makes all the difference in world. I have no doubt the Steelers would keep Harrison if he comes to their number that fits the cap needs. That would be totally on Harrison at that point.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    I agree 100 percent with this. The deal needs to make sense. Hopefully a fair restructure will work. The thing is with James. Even when he came back in the line up he was honest. He said he will not be himself for awhile because he was not as healthy as he needed to be. He said it would take time. And I think it did . The last month of our season he was the only one besides Cortez Allen who was forcing TO and making the splash plays. He has at least one more very good year if not 2 left. His body did not take the early beatings as most have. I think 6 million a year is okay for a guy who I bet hangs 10 to 12 sacks next year. More concerned with Woodleys game than James

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    No trade value for Harrison. He will be cut.
    Agreed....

Legend

User Info Menu

There was no salary cap when Lambert played. That makes all the difference in world. I have no doubt the Steelers would keep Harrison if he comes to their number that fits the cap needs. That would be totally on Harrison at that point.
    Yes, I realize there was no cap and really no free movement of players and this is the only reason that the Steelers' teams of the 70s stayed together; otherwise they would have been disassembled long before they won their 4th super bowl in 6 years. I'm only comparing James' and Jack's styles, attitudes and personas and they are quite similar, both are/were the enforcer of the defense, both played like each play is his last and neither has any great love for a quarterback (put a skirt on them). These guys are very high on my all time favorite Steeler list. It was a sad day when Jack hung them up and it will be equally sad for me when James hangs them up, is cut or released and is no longer a Steeler.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    I agree 100 percent with this. The deal needs to make sense. Hopefully a fair restructure will work. The thing is with James. Even when he came back in the line up he was honest. He said he will not be himself for awhile because he was not as healthy as he needed to be. He said it would take time. And I think it did . The last month of our season he was the only one besides Cortez Allen who was forcing TO and making the splash plays. He has at least one more very good year if not 2 left. His body did not take the early beatings as most have. I think 6 million a year is okay for a guy who I bet hangs 10 to 12 sacks next year. More concerned with Woodleys game than James
    I'm not willing to trade the future to keep him around at that price with the questions surrounding him & the team.

So after the Baltimore game we won...In the next 3 must win games...Harrison had 10 TT-1 Sack-1 FF. This is when he was healthy and made all these splash plays. "He was in pass coverage!" Hmm.... 0 PD & 0 INT. I watch the games. I watch everygame at least twice. First time as fan and the other times to look at players. I had to look before & after plays to make sure Harrison was on the field. Woodley had a bad year. He will get a chance to rebound. Woodley is also 6 years younger than Harrison.

Harrison put up 1 year over 10.5 sacks and it was in 2008. Might be a little unrealistic to think he will play 16 games and get 10-12 sacks at 35.

The biggest thorn to this whole debate on your side...You mentioned. 6 mil a year. Harrison's cap hit for 2013 is over 10 mil. His vet min is $840,000. His bonuses for 2013 is 3.5 mil. So the absolute min his contract COULD be worth is 4.3 mil....Which he will not play for. The 3.5 mil is money already in his pocket. Is Harrison going to play for $52,500 a game? Even at you 6 mil number would be a base of 2.5 mil. To obtain that you would create 5.5 mil of dead money next year if you release him or a 2014 salary of 13.5 mil. Rooney isn't going to write a lump sum check for 4.5 million to cut a guy after this year. There just isn't any good way around this if he won't take a pay cut.

Put yourself in Rooney's shoes:

You walk away now and pay 0 additional dollars or you pay 6.5 million for a 35 year old?
    Doing this will more than likely keep the Steelers from retaining Lewis for the future.
    This will also keep a soon to be 25 year old 2nd round pick (In his last year of his rookie deal) off the field that you spent 3.6 mil on that may give you the same production.

I think it is simple. I'm NOT paying 6.5 mil to keep a 35 year old around for 1 year to lose a young starting CB for the next 5 years or find out if I have his replacement at OLB for the next 8-10 years.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 02-13-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

JPN, based on what I saw this year, there really isn't a future on this current roster on defense or at least a future that looks bright.

Worilds? - Maybe, but didn't do anything to really say, "I can't wait to see him full time."
    Carter? - Definitely not
    Robinson? - Definitely not
    Woodley? - Heck over the past two years I can't say that his future is still as bright as it was three years ago
    Sylvester? - Definitely not
    Hood/Heyward? - Same as Worilds, maybe
    McClendon? - Couldn't win the job from Casey, so a "maybe" at best
    T'amu? - nope, more off the field news than on the field
    Golden/Will Allen? - Not really, do you want them as our starting safety tandem?
    Lewis/Cortez Allen? - The only ones that really look to be on the rise and there is a strong possibility that Lewis won't be a Steeler

So, I don't really see the future on defense, maybe its there and I have no idea how to evaluate these guys, but I didn't see anything other than Lewis and Cortez Allen that said, man the future is really bright at that position.

IMO, the Steelers need to find a way to work some guys in this year and keep some vets and then complete the transition in 2014. Cleaning house this year may put the Steelers at 3rd or 4th in the division for more than 1 year, IMO, unless, tremendous strides are made by a handful of young players and I just don't see it.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -