Thread: Are you forgetting about Adrian Robinson?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Are you forgetting about Adrian Robinson?

He seemed perform well in preseason last year and I think he'll be the top backup over Chris Carter.

Last year, he had a knack for establishing pressure but he needs to focus on his other responsibilities as well. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses. With all of the LB talk, I couldn't help but think about his future with the team.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Carter could develop as well, you never know. However, I would not keep from making a move based on these hopes. Specifically, if one of the potential OLBs fall to us at 17, I jump.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    He seemed perform well in preseason last year and I think he'll be the top backup over Chris Carter.

Last year, he had a knack for establishing pressure but he needs to focus on his other responsibilities as well. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses. With all of the LB talk, I couldn't help but think about his future with the team.
    I like what I have seen out of Robinson so far. He sort of reminds me of a young Harrison who is a beast on the field but often out of position. It will be interesting to see when the light bulb comes on for him.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

In my mind, Robinson's the only legit ROLB on the roster.

Starter

User Info Menu

One thing that speaks highly about Robinson is that the Steelers kept him on the roster last season even though he did not have a significant role on Special Teams. Tomlin even "criticized" him for being a one-trick pony (only a pass rusher). That skill is so valuable though, that they kept him around, my guess with their eye toward a Harrison-less future. He should get a golden opportunity this summer. Here's hoping he takes advantage of it.

Backup

User Info Menu

Robinson needs to finish. He gets off the ball quick and has pressures but any sacks? Chris carter could make another jump this year. I predict he pulls an Aaron Smith and becomes great. Jmo

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    One thing that speaks highly about Robinson is that the Steelers kept him on the roster last season even though he did not have a significant role on Special Teams. Tomlin even "criticized" him for being a one-trick pony (only a pass rusher). That skill is so valuable though, that they kept him around, my guess with their eye toward a Harrison-less future. He should get a golden opportunity this summer. Here's hoping he takes advantage of it.
    Funny thing that IMO the biggest one-trick-pony 3-4 OLB in the league is Demarcus Ware, and he is considered to be the best because he puts up 15 sacks a year. He rarely if ever drops into coverage, and he is not a factor in the run game - whether teams run at him or away from him. That is the thing about JH. He was a force in every aspect, although only average in coverage for a backer. That is also the reason why we will one day come to realize that the run he had for a few years was as the best all-around 3-4 OLB ever. This is not a wish to have him return, more of a walk down memory lane.

BTW, there was another one-trick-pony OLB who played for the Giants of the '80's and he was pretty good.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers concern isn't rushing the passer with our LB's but with the combination of Casey Hampton leaving and JH, it leaves a hole stopping the run. It may come down to playing time, I would think Worlids will get better, he won't be JH but if he can improve with the run game that will be big, the sacks will come.

Robinson and Carter is our depth right now but one of those guys could emerge and be a good player for us.

Starter

User Info Menu

Steelers do have a knack for developing LB talent, but it usually takes a little time to find the switch for the lightbulb. My hunch is that Robinson may yet be a starter for the Steelers in the next few years, and Carter will disappear.

Legend

User Info Menu

Robinson showed some flashes, and I could see him developing. Or I could see him as another Todd Frazier - he was another preseason OLB sensation who never materialized into much of anything.