Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Is this Really the Guy you want to Draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

The fact is Dee, you have no idea if AJ will make a good pro. You are disagreeing with the only guy who agrees with you on AJ. I like him. I like the way he throws the ball. I think he will be a solid pro. But, in all honesty, there is alot of talent around the guy, and he has all day to throw. So, there are more question marks surrounding him. That is the most honest answer.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The fact is Dee, you have no idea if AJ will make a good pro. You are disagreeing with the only guy who agrees with you on AJ. I like him. I like the way he throws the ball. I think he will be a solid pro. But, in all honesty, there is alot of talent around the guy, and he has all day to throw. So, there are more question marks surrounding him. That is the most honest answer.
    b-bu-but he is about to win his 3rd BCS title

He could turn out to be a decent NFL QB but I think he needs a SF or Houston Texans type of OL. The kid never gets hit...I bet they haven't washed AJ's jersey since his freshman year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Uhhhhh you can say the same thing about Bridgewater and Louisville. They have blown out the mighty Ohio, Eastern Kentucky, and Florida International by halftime this year.
    I agree... whoever put that schedule together needs to be fired. The only reason I would put Teddy ahead of AJ is because he can extend plays... but I have no idea if he is going to be a success in the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I agree... whoever put that schedule together needs to be fired. The only reason I would put Teddy ahead of AJ is because he can extend plays... but I have no idea if he is going to be a success in the NFL.
    Face it ... with QBs it's always a crapshoot whether they will make a good pro or not. For every Peyton you have 5 Ryan Leafs. I would just like us to get a QB who can beat the opponent with his arm, his legs and his head. Last year, when Seattle took Wilson, I said they got the best QB in that draft and I stand by that statement. I'd love us to get a QB with similar talents.

None of this means I don't like Ben. Over his career Ben has been one of the most exciting QBs to play the game. From 2004 through 2010 if we were down by a couple of points and its under 2 minutes left Ben is the only QB I would want under center. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. While Ben can still do his Houdini act escaping the rush he often fails to finish the play and throws a bad pass.

The Vikings game is a perfect example. In years past Ben wins that game by scoring on the last drive. He seemed to thrive on the pressure. Now, in those types of situations, you see Ben walking off the field with his head down.

Unfortunately I don't see us getting the old Ben back. That is why I mentioned trading him for draft choices while he is still worth something. Maybe then we can get the franchise left tackle and a dominant physical receiver.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Face it ... with QBs it's always a crapshoot whether they will make a good pro or not. For every Peyton you have 5 Ryan Leafs. I would just like us to get a QB who can beat the opponent with his arm, his legs and his head. Last year, when Seattle took Wilson, I said they got the best QB in that draft and I stand by that statement. I'd love us to get a QB with similar talents.

None of this doesn't mean I don't like Ben. Over his career Ben has been one of the most exciting QBs to play the game. From 2004 through 2010 if we were down by a couple of points and its under 2 minutes left Ben is the only QB I would want under center. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. While Ben can still do his Houdini act escaping the rush he often fails to finish the play and throws a bad pass.

The Vikings game is a perfect example. In years past Ben wins that game by scoring on the last drive. He seemed to thrive on the pressure. Now, in those types of situations, you see Ben walking off the field with his head down.

Unfortunately I don't see us getting the old Ben back. That is why I mentioned trading him for draft choices while he is still worth something. Maybe then we can get the franchise left tackle and a dominant physical receiver.
    I agree on Wilson but it's hard to convince people an undersized QB can be a franchise QB. Wilson plays ugly at times but the game is never over with him on your team and he has great leadership qualities.

IMO the QB in this draft who best fits that description is Manzeil but I doubt he will be available or an option.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That is a one sided view. He plays in the SEC, He has been in two BCS National Championship games. Guess what? There is a lot of talent coming at him too. LSU, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Texas A & M, etc., etc., are loaded with future NFL stars.

And again regardless of how much time McCarron has had to throw, in 3 plus years he has a total of 11 INTS. You still have to make good decisions and be accurate.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My guess....at the combine we find out Teddy Bridgewater is about 6 ft 1 1/2 and weighs 196. I am not using a number 1 (let alone a top 5), and giving him millions of dollars for that.

He is very much like RGIII. A great pocket passer who can also run but is not going to hold up physically in the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So just to be clear....the only knock on AJ McCarron is that he played around a lot of talent? And because of that there question marks surrounding him?

Everything else checks though, huh?

Arm strength
    Accuracy
    Touch
    Size
    Leadership ability
    Level of competition
    Big game performances
    Decision making/judgment

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    So just to be clear....the only knock on AJ McCarron is that he played around a lot of talent? And because of that there question marks surrounding him?

Everything else checks though, huh?

Arm strength
    Accuracy
    Touch
    Size
    Leadership ability
    Level of competition
    Big game performances
    Decision making/judgment
    Julio Jones will never be a great pro... He was surrounded by talent at Alabama. Oh, wait... nevermind...
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I agree on Wilson but it's hard to convince people an undersized QB can be a franchise QB. Wilson plays ugly at times but the game is never over with him on your team and he has great leadership qualities.

IMO the QB in this draft who best fits that description is Manzeil but I doubt he will be available or an option.
    Manziel is the best QB in this draft if he declares.
    Trolls are people too.