Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers reportedly interested in free agent TE Jermichael Finley

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers reportedly interested in free agent TE Jermichael Finley

Steelers reportedly interested in free agent TE Jermichael Finley

By Neal Coolong on Mar 8 2014

Provided Finley gets medical clearance, it appears there's a substantial amount of interest on the free agency market.

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe tweeted Friday the Steelers have interested in as-of-now not medically cleared free agent tight end Jermichael Finley.

Finley suffered a freakish injury during the 2013 season, one that required spinal fusion surgery. Some reports have indicated Finley could be cleared medically as early as Saturday, but that's only the entry point. Without a solid way of knowing how he'd hold up, his pricetag will be around the basement of the market for his position.

Finley is an electrifying athlete who appeared to struggle with routine catches more than daring ones. He caught 223 passes for 2,785 yards and 20 touchdowns in six seasons with the Packers. He's not expected to be re-signed there.

The Chiefs, Giants, Jets, Lions and Seahawks have also been mentioned as possible targets, without an explanation given as to why the rest of the league wasn't mentioned as well. Brevity, perhaps.

Every team will be interested in Finley's medicals, and while an argument can be made Finley could fill a receiving role in Pittsburgh, his lack of blocking ability, shaky hands and injury history likely makes him more of a risk than he'd be worth. Someone will roll the dice if he gets medical clearance, but Pittsburgh wouldn't be the logical destination.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/3/8/5484274/steelers-2014-free-agency-targets-jermichael-finley[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No, no, no, no, no, no. First of all, I doubt they have any serious interest in him; this is just another in a long line of BS postures made by the team to make the fans feel they are aggressively doing everything possible to win. Secondly, I hope they are no seriously pursuing Finley as this guy is always about potential but usually doesn't produce. He looks so inviting, with his massive size and good speed, but for one reason or the other, he just doesn't live up to his potential. No way. Bad idea.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    No, no, no, no, no, no. First of all, I doubt they have any serious interest in him; this is just another in a long line of BS postures made by the team to make the fans feel they are aggressively doing everything possible to win. Secondly, I hope they are no seriously pursuing Finley as this guy is always about potential but usually doesn't produce. He looks so inviting, with his massive size and good speed, but for one reason or the other, he just doesn't live up to his potential. No way. Bad idea.
    I don't see him as a bad idea if he comes really cheap on a one year deal to show he can still play. The potential for him to play very well on the cheap would be nice. And at worse he eats up very little cap space to wear sweats on the side line.

Legend

User Info Menu

Got to agree with the sick one on this. Not that I don't think a healthy Finley would be a helpful addition to the offense, but he would likely cost significant FA $$$$. Better to spend that $$$$ on sure-fire defensive FAs (FS anyone?). If you want a pass-catching TE, grab one in the draft instead.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Got to agree with the sick one on this. Not that I don't think a healthy Finley would be a helpful addition to the offense, but he would likely cost significant FA $$$$. Better to spend that $$$$ on sure-fire defensive FAs (FS anyone?). If you want a pass-catching TE, grab one in the draft instead.
    Why would he cost big money? He is coming off a potential career ending injury. He needs to show he can still play and not play scared to get a good payday I think.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quite honestly, he was iffy before he took the potentially career-ending shot. I don't know how confident I am with him not playing scared, making him even less productive. It feels like a very un-Steeler like signing. And with Heath seemingly back to full strength, with a few good years left, TE isn't really a position of high need at this point.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Why would he cost big money? He is coming off a potential career ending injury. He needs to show he can still play and not play scared to get a good payday I think.
    Don't know that he will cost "big" money, but he will cost, I think "significant" money, just because of his past success (of course, it will be contingent upon him passing teams' physical exams). I just think you can draft a TE that can be groomed to fill the need for a lot less $$$. Less injury risk, too. Use the FA money for defensive help.

Administrator

User Info Menu

"Steelers Interested"? You don't say.

I'm sure they're interested in most FAs. Whether they can afford them is a different story.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I will say that if we sign him.... Ebron will need to get removed from some mock drafts
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

he would be an upgrade for sure at TE #2, if the money is right.

dont ever want to see mike adams running a pass pattern again