Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the running game; Offensive line play

Banned

User Info Menu

Let's talk about the running game; Offensive line play

Everybody's been on the defense; and rightly so. But our running game has been non-existent.

So in your opinion, is it the running backs? Is it the offensive line? Let's chop it up.

Legend

User Info Menu

This may be unpopular, but I think our Oline is mediocre at run blocking, but does a great job of pass protection.

And this could be one of the reasons that we threw so much more than we ran last year.

I do think there's some good to work with in the running game with Pouncey and DD's quickness getting to the 2nd level. I think in general our guys sometimes struggle moving big bodies on D. This goes back several years as both Bell and Conner had to get a lot of yards after contact to be really successful.

I also think we run better in 3 WR sets that spread out the defense and pull big bodies off the field. We're more finesse on our line vs a power run blocking unit.

Legend

User Info Menu

As i have said in the past our oline isnt that great at the power run game, we are better in a zone blocking scheme. That is why Bell was so good he didnt just slam straight ahead, he let the blocks develope and then picked the hole. I think if Conner has a little more patience in the backfield he can enjoy a little more success.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    As i have said in the past our oline isnt that great at the power run game, we are better in a zone blocking scheme. That is why Bell was so good he didnt just slam straight ahead, he let the blocks develope and then picked the hole. I think if Conner has a little more patience in the backfield he can enjoy a little more success.
    We do both. Most teams do. When we pull our guards, or the Center, we usually do very well in gaining yardage. I wish we would utilize the FB more, I know Nix is hurt, but even when he is ok, he's hardly on the field. Wish we'd use him more.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 09-19-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Not an X's and O's guy but the offensive line seems to be taking a step back, IMO. The running game is impotent currently, regardless of which back is in the game and while the quarterbacks have been given time, the pockets haven't been real clean and they have had to move around a bit to find passing lanes. Remember, also, that Munchak is gone and Shaun Sarrett is at the helm for the offensive line. Something just seems a tad off with the line, hopefully, they'll get it straightened out sooner than later.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Let's not forget that we just played against 2 very good defenses. Our OL is fine as it is. Looking for Samuels to get more carries as the season goes.
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    We do both. Most teams do. When we pull our guards, or the Center, we usually do very well in gaining yardage. I wish we would utilize the FB more, I know Nix is hurt, but even when he is ok, he's hardly on the field. Wish we'd use him more.
    No we really dont, we mostly run zone scheme out of the shotgun. Rarely are we coming out with 2 te's or a fullback, sure we have power plays for specific situations but our main blocking scheme is zone, i would even call it a stretch zone.
    Last edited by Mr.wizard; 09-19-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I watched the Hawks game a second time. What I saw on the O line in the run game is this. We're okay except for Foster. And I like Foster but imho his legs are not what they once were. He is now more a catch n roll blocker then a drive blocker. If we're running goal line were not going 1 or 3 hole. Now his pass blocking was good. Seen him pick up stunts like the vet that he is. Perhaps he's banged up but more likely he just lost some spring in his lower body.
    So Finney is more center then power guard and Johnson who I believe has a high ceiling n was excellent in camp n pre-season is just not ready yet.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the OL rankings were inflated by quick passes and Bells talent.

Conner has a good start last year but we also played some really bad rush defenses.

I recently saw a star with Conner’s second half numbers and they weren’t impressive. I think when defenses scheme to stop the run it’s much easier to stop. Also think we abandoned the run too often last year so our OL never got momentum in run blocking down the stretch.

I don’t think losing Munchak made us this bad in one season. We are playing some good run defenses but we should still be able to establish a decent run game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    No we really dont, we mostly run zone scheme out of the shotgun. Rarely are we coming out with 2 te's or a fullback, sure we have power plays for specific situations but our main blocking scheme is zone, i would even call it a stretch zone.
    We've had this conversation on this board over the past 10 years it seems.. They do both. Lineman pulls, thats man. Each play actually can have both man and zone, it just depends on the call. To be honest, they've been in passing situations so much this year, they haven't really had the chance to run the dang ball anyway. Don't need 2 TE's to pull. And presently, our FB is out with injury.

You mentioned the word, Rarely. True to an extent, especially so far after 2 games, 1 without Nix, but they do do both.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 09-19-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII