Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats sign Sanders

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Saw this on Sanders:

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/11/4210350/Steelers-Emmanuel-Sanders-Patriots-Twitter[/URL]

Who knows what it means, but it could be that he and Wallace were both po'd and jealous and Brown getting paid first. Maybe just speculation, but who knows.
    That is the kind of flavor I heard about "some" in that crew. Very talented players...Not Steeler material. Best friend Benjamin.

They can all go find their Rack City...B!tch.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Listened to Bouchette's rationale for letting him go to the Pats, and it changed my perspective on this. Bouchette advocates letting him go and get the 3rd round pick, rather than sign him at risk for what might be one year and then he's gone for nothing in return.

Bouchette critiques in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... ???

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Listened to Bouchette's rationale for letting him go to the Pats, and it changed my perspective on this. Bouchette advocates letting him go and get the 3rd round pick, rather than sign him at risk for what might be one year and then he's gone for nothing in return.

Bouchette critiques in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... ???
    makes sense to me, especially if Sanders wants more money than the Steelers are willing to pay him.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

It's sound logic, that's exactly what a lot of folks thought about Wallace last year, and guess what happened....
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    makes sense to me, especially if Sanders wants more money than the Steelers are willing to pay him.
    Given our track record recently, he'll probably be back in another year.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not smart enough to know whether letting him go now in return for something of value, to avoid losing losing him next year and getting NOTHING in return, is the right move but ....

All I do know is Ben isn't getting any younger, and at some point we have to stop saying "manana/next year" and start saying "This year we start our 2-year plan for bringing Lombardi 7 home, at all costs ...".

Seems like the FO is just treading water, when we need to start sprinting now, or at least immediately after this last turn of the race that we're two strokes away from. I would feel much better if I had the feeling they were going to try their best to win SB 7 this year or next, rather than making "prudent" financial decisions. Maybe they are doing the right thing, and I'm too ignorant to see it, but I kind of see things going on now as being in the penny-wise/pound foolish mode.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    I'm not smart enough to know whether letting him go now in return for something of value, to avoid losing losing him next year and getting NOTHING in return, is the right move but ....

All I do know is Ben isn't getting any younger, and at some point we have to stop saying "manana/next year" and start saying "This year we start our 2-year plan for bringing Lombardi 7 home, at all costs ...".

Seems like the FO is just treading water, when we need to start sprinting now, or at least immediately after this last turn of the race that we're two strokes away from. I would feel much better if I had the feeling they were going to try their best to win SB 7 this year or next, rather than making "prudent" financial decisions. Maybe they are doing the right thing, and I'm too ignorant to see it, but I kind of see things going on now as being in the penny-wise/pound foolish mode.

While I see your point, what can we reallistically do given our cap situation? The cap dictates what teams can do. At some point, all the stuff we did over the past several years to get the rings we got has caught up and you have to rebuild at some point. Retaining Sanders won't be the difference between championship or not this next season. Getting someone from the draft has a chance at getting us someone better than Sanders.

Best we can hope for is that the rebuilding process happens while Ben still has gas left in the tank - and hope that we can find another franchise QB when Ben is gone.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Contract situations and money concerns crop up every year for the Steelers. I don't think they should override every other concern. I say sign him because it would not cost them a lot. If they have him one season and that is the way it works out then let the future take care of itself. I dislike the idea of always formulating your roster based on concerns about a future contract. Do what is best for the team today because most of you cannot predict how the future play out.

I think Sanders would be better for the team this year than a rookie or any of the FA names mentioned. It is a little speculative because so far he has not been a full-time starter. It is encouraging that Belicik thinks of him highly. He hasn't won all those games being a poor judge of talent. On this point, I agree with him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Let him go! This is a deep draft and Tomlin/ Colbert have proven they can draft DB's and WR's. If we can somehow trade 1:17 to Miami for their two seconds, or trade down in the first with the Vikes for one of their two first rounders plus a third and fourth, then we could be in business. The Vikes may be eager to move up for a true impact player they covet, and the Phins are trying to level the playing field with the Pats. We could trade down in the first, draft Eifert who is a day one starter, and position ourselves to take advantage of this deep WR, RB, and S draft....3 areas we need, while still leaving picks to address other needs.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Sure for this year, but we are talking about one year for Sanders vs four years for a third round pick. Sanders is a good player, but he is not elite and he has an extensive injury history. This is a really close call, imho. I'd probably let him walk.
    Teams can plan for long term situations and short term situations. The Steelers have done well because they have short term and long term plans. Sanders can be in the plans for the Steelers and Pats in the short term or long term. Short term for one team this season. Sanders long term future will depend on how well he performs this season.

Teams never know what will get out of a 3rd round pick. Most 3rd round picks never become starters. The Steelers and Pats don't have 3 to 4 years to wait for a 3rd round pick to develop because of the situation at QB.