Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Roethlisberger: "We're the worst team in the league"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I understand all that. Just saying he was wide open on the called route and not on the backyard football route. QB throws the F'n ball on the called route then it is an easy completion and the chains keep moving. Maybe Ben's adlib BS is part of the issue here where the WR and him look to not be on the same page.
    This. All day long this. Don't get me wrong, I love Ben's ability to improvise, but eventually it's going to get him killed (and we're going to lose a lot of games in the process) if that's the ONLY trick in his bag. I don't know if his indecision is real or imagined, but the last few games he's simply not throwing in rhythm and hitting guys in stride. At least not consistently. He's double clutching and second guessing. He's never been much of a rhythm passer IMO, but I think that was the intent when they brought Haley in... to make him one. I don't want the improv to disappear, but it would sure be nice to not hold my breath every single time he drops back. Would be even nicer to see them convert 3rd and 4-8 more consistently on short timing routes. Maybe it's the receivers not getting separation, I don't know, but I swear he still seems to pass up the open intermediate route, instead opting for the long incompletion. There were some plays this last game where you could just see the indecision in him. Like, visibly see him second guess himself. That's not a good trait in a veteran QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    That was crazy... play through the whistle.

It seems like our WR's aren't practicing the improve like they used to do with Ben when BA was here. Ben used to break the pocket and we knew something good was happening... now he breaks the pocket and half the throws are 5 yards off target.

I also wish Ben would run for a few of those 1st downs on 3rd and 3... he left a few plays on the field with some of those throws..
    Roethlisberger hasn't learned yet that his 'backyard football' doesn't work with one of the weakest OLs in the NFL. He still wants to play the game the way he plays the game, regardless of the situation around him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Roethlisberger hasn't learned yet that his 'backyard football' doesn't work with one of the weakest OLs in the NFL. He still wants to play the game the way he plays the game, regardless of the situation around him.
    It was always difficult for the offense to score points consistently with Ben's style of play. As a result, the team counted on Ben to win close games at the end. The ability to win close games at the end seemed to disappear last season.
    It seems it's becoming more difficult for the team to win games now that the defense is slipping and can't play at a top 5 ppg level.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We could trade Ben to the Raiders for draft picks, get Johnny Football next year AND a LT to protect him. We'd still suck, but at least there would be someone else to complain about.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    It was always difficult for the offense to score points consistently with Ben's style of play. As a result, the team counted on Ben to win close games at the end. The ability to win close games at the end seemed to disappear last season.
    It seems it's becoming more difficult for the team to win games now that the defense is slipping and can't play at a top 5 ppg level.
    This is the issue right here. We've been playing everyone close since we got Ben. And he somehow pulls it out in the end. The offense still kinda sputters for most of the game like it always has. We're just not pulling it out in the end.

And the D is giving up too many points. I think we miss Hampton. The D started playing well in December when Hampton started playing well last season. Wonder if we could bring back Casey? He did say he had another 5 years in him. He may not be a great athlete, but he never was. It might take him a month to get in shape because he's probably 400+ sitting on the couch right now.