Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pouncey

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    If Velasco turns out to be a solid center for us, what do the Steelers do with Pouncey?

Some have suggested that we move Pouncey to Guard. But, Guards historically don't get paid like Centers especially pro bowl centers. I can't imagine him being cool with that move.

Another issue, if Pouncey stays at Center do we pay him as the highest paid Center in the NFL?

My solution? Keep Velasco at Center, and use Pouncey as trade bait in the 2014 draft. I believe we could get a late first rounder for him.

This team desperately needs a franchise LT, and Jake Matthews is that guy. We might be drafting high enough to get him, but if not bundling picks to move up makes sense especially if we trade Pouncey.

Thoughts?
    I'm with you Shawn, I frankly think he walks anyway, he will be overrated by somebody, Jax or Miami to play with his bro.
    What is the center situation with the Jaguars?
    Just looked it up they are starting a FOURTEEN YEAR VET expected to retire. Perfect!!!!

I want to emphasize I have no confidence he will sign with us long term ANYWAY and while he is GOOD he aint the Dermotti clone everyone thinks he is.

CAN SOMEONE GET COLBERT ON THE LINE!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-26-2013 at 02:35 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I'm with you Shawn, I frankly think he walks anyway, he will be overrated by somebody, Jax or Miami to play with his bro.
    Just looked it up they are starting a FOURTEEN YEAR VET expected to retire. Perfect!!!!

I want to emphasize I have no confidence he will sign with us long term ANYWAY and while he is GOOD he aint the Dermotti clone everyone thinks he is.

No center will be a Dermonnti clone, he may be the best center to ever play the game, he was Mike Webster and Dwight Stephenson in one body. I'd like to see Pouncey stick around for reasonable money, the injury has to hurt his market value to some degree.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 09-26-2013 at 03:17 PM.

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

CL, this is part of my concern. I think Pouncey will demand high dollar that the Rooneys would rather put toward a franchise LT. I believe that this to be the offseason to get one. Jake Matthews is the man. So, rather than lose Pouncey to FA, trade him a year early...get a nice pick in order to make a move to grab Matthews.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    No center is will be a Dermonnti clone, he may be the best center to ever play the game, he was Mike Webster and Dwight Stephenson in one body. I'd like to see Pouncey stick around for reasonable money, the injury has to hurt his market value to some degree.
    Two problems.

1. I just dont see Pouncey wanting to stay "for reasonable money". HE WILL get more dough that we will want to pay, and if he is going to "settle" for "reasonable money" he can get that and be closer to home.
    2. Part of my issue is Pounceys strengths do not match the needs in OUR division.

Dude IS athletic and can get to the second level but HOW OFTEN DOES THAT MATTER? We rarely have seen it the last couple of years, runs are stuffed so often.
    Brute strength and pure power are what we need to take on the behemoth interior linemen in our division.
    Pouncey has skills but he gets OWNED by these guys, which is part of the problem in our run game in recent years.

We whine about running up the middle as though it is a wasted play every time we try, we FAIL ROUTINELY attempting to convert short yardage plays up the middle, yet think our center is irreplacable?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-26-2013 at 03:08 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Rookie

User Info Menu

I can't discuss topics, if posters are unwilling to read the original posts. I know Adams and Gilbert are slugs. Neither will demand large contracts. Both will be very fortunate to play out their contracts as NFL starters.
    People said the same thing about Duane Brown...

Personally, if Gilbert isn't making a step forward in year three, you may be right...

If Adams isn't making a step forward in year two at a new position, that's different...

Legend

User Info Menu

Not having read from the beginning, apologies if already discussed, ...

but I'm afraid the cops are going to come one day and take Pouncey away. Isn't there an ongoing investigation about some sort of shooting where he, his bro, and Hernandez (most recently of the *s) are mentioned together?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Not having read from the beginning, apologies if already discussed, ...

but I'm afraid the cops are going to come one day and take Pouncey away. Isn't there an ongoing investigation about some sort of shooting where he, his bro, and Hernandez (most recently of the *s) are mentioned together?
    Maybe HE MIGHT NOT want to "go home" after all?

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

SASF, it wouldn't shock me.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Did you read the original post? This was assuming the new center pans out, and the Steelers go after a franchise LT such as Jake Matthews. As for DD, how do you know he hasn't "lived up to the hype"? He is essentially a rookie coming off of major knee surgery. Not to mention him having to play beside turnstyle Gilbert and a new center. I suppose JJ hasn't lived up to the hype either since he is yet to have a sack.

Guys who have played the position in the NFL, who follow the Steelers, who know OL talent use terms like "special", "gifted", "future pro bowler" when referring to DD. If DD, is even half the player these scouts say he is...he will be expensive to re-sign.
    Is "good enough" to anchor a bad OL panning out?

I don't think DD has lived up to the hype because he took out our starting center on the second drive of the first game. I don't think DD is living up to the hype because this board said if we had DD we would go from one of the worst to one of the best OL's in the league.

This board sold DD like he was the truth and while he isn't bad... he isn't nearly as good as most made him out to be. I know he was injured but so was Pouncey in his first year and he hasn't been able to reach that level again but he is a damn good center.

I just don't see how Pouncey is expendable but DD is viewed as a hot commodity due to who the hell knows what...

..and JJ wasn't hyped up IMO like DD was... DD got the Eifert treatment before he was drafted. A lot of people questioned JJ's size, speed and health... and IMO he has definitely lived up to the hype. I've watched him find the football in preseason, crush anyone with a football on special teams. Absolutely destroy CJ on his first series in the opener...

Legend

User Info Menu

Felt, you have no idea how good DD will be. That's the truth.
    Trolls are people too.