Thread: Political Food For Thought

Legend

User Info Menu

Political Food For Thought

Romney raised $100M+ in July.

Obama spent $70M+ on ads in July.

So these guys can roughly raise $2.5B per year.

Why not start their own venture fund and start funding some startups that create jobs?

Or why not find 6000 guys like Obama and Romney to raise money for a year to pay of the national debt?

When you look at how these guys raise/spend money, they really are tools. How could anyone really support any of these knuckleheads?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You can't be serious. That's just a ridiculous way to play out their fundraising numbers. I don't think anything else needs to be said.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    You can't be serious. That's just a ridiculous way to play out their fundraising numbers. I don't think anything else needs to be said.
    It is a rhetorical post in a sense. It's ridiculous. Obama spends $70M+/month to buy tv ads in battleground states saying Romney sends jobs overseas.

Romeny spends $100M+ each month to say equally dumb stuff about Obama.

And these are our choices as leaders? Rich Jackarse #1 vs Rich Jackarse #2.

And their petty ads are supposed to make us believe they care about the average American. We're delusional.

These supposed leaders are flushing $200M+ / month down the drain. And we're supposed to entrust them with tax dollars and expect them to frugally manage our country?

It's a joke that they're so focused on spending money like this when 20% of people in the US are unemployed, the poor don't have money to spend which impacts the stock market, there's foreclosures out the wazoo, $50K in debt per citizen (and only about 1/3 of citizens actually pay taxes), etc. etc.

We're a bunch of knuckleheads for accepting this pure idiocy.

Where's Monty Brewster to campaign for none of the above? I think that Monty had a tough time spending $30M in a month. To put Rombama (we really need a combo name for both of them since they're essentially exactly the same) into Brewster's Millions, we'd have to make the challenge to spend $30M in 30 minutes.

If Monty only came along 20 or 30 years later, the whole premise of that movie would seem silly. It'd be easy to spend $30M or $3B in a month with nothing to show for it today.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You are portraying those numbers as monthly expenditures and incoming cash. It's not. It happens every 4 years, and it happens because they are the democratic and republican candidates for president...not because they are Barack Obama and Mitt Romney.

This money is pledged to them by their supporters for the known purpose that they will use it in this fashion. That doesn't mean I like that it happens, but that is the way it works. If you want to call out anyone, the candidates are not the ones to call out, the people giving them millions are the ones to call out, because it is their money to do with as they wish but as soon as it goes to Romney and Obama there are restrictions put in place on how they can use it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    You are portraying those numbers as monthly expenditures and incoming cash. It's not. It happens every 4 years, and it happens because they are the democratic and republican candidates for president...not because they are Barack Obama and Mitt Romney.

This money is pledged to them by their supporters for the known purpose that they will use it in this fashion. That doesn't mean I like that it happens, but that is the way it works. If you want to call out anyone, the candidates are not the ones to call out, the people giving them millions are the ones to call out, because it is their money to do with as they wish but as soon as it goes to Romney and Obama there are restrictions put in place on how they can use it.
    I'm completely aware I'm being ridiculous for effect

At the end of the day, I see it as the average voter's fault. If we couldn't be bought, people wouldn't spend money to buy us.

It's a kinda strange dilemma. Men and women fought wars to protect our freedom and right to vote. So we feel obligated to vote. But then we spit in the face of those men and women who made sacrifices for our freedom, but allowing our freedom to be bought.

I almost feel more patriotic by abstaining from voting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not concerned with the amount they're spending (though it is ridiculous). I'm concerned with where it's coming from. Who are the puppeteers... Because that's who has the power

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I'm not concerned with the amount they're spending (though it is ridiculous). I'm concerned with where it's coming from. Who are the puppeteers... Because that's who has the power
    What's frightening is in some cases, it's the same people donating to both sides to ensure they win no matter what.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    What's frightening is in some cases, it's the same people donating to both sides to ensure they win no matter what.
    There we go! I knew someone knew what I was getting at!