Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sio Moore = James Harrison?

Legend

User Info Menu

Physically, yes, Harrison is/was the superior specimen in body build and strength. Lambert was easily the better mentally prepared and stable player he played with a controlled rage each and every game and always knew what was happening in the game and manned his responsibilities. Lambert may have been "trucked" as you say, I didn't watch every game and it would be my bet that the trucking occurred simply because the back attained an advantage in angle, leverage or speed, not because they were mano-a-mano in the hole and he ran Lambert over like a rag doll.

I don't recall Harrison ever getting "trucked" to be sure but he is an outsside backer and is rarely taking on a running back that is running north and south like a middle linebacker in 43 defense would be doing many times per game. Both players could get off blocks and make tackles, Lambert by not allowing the blocker into his body (at 6'4" tall he had long arms) tio engage him and Harrison typically by brute strength.

Had Harrison had a longer career at a high level he would be a HOF candidate and Lambert was easily a HOF candidate and inductee.

Both players are great Steelers and will always remind me of great Steeler teams and defense. Selling one short because he played 30-35 years ago in a different era of football is silly.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Physically, yes, Harrison is/was the superior specimen in body build and strength. Lambert was easily the better mentally prepared and stable player he played with a controlled rage each and every game and always knew what was happening in the game and manned his responsibilities. Lambert may have been "trucked" as you say, I didn't watch every game and it would be my bet that the trucking occurred simply because the back attained an advantage in angle, leverage or speed, not because they were mano-a-mano in the hole and he ran Lambert over like a rag doll.

I don't recall Harrison ever getting "trucked" to be sure but he is an outsside backer and is rarely taking on a running back that is running north and south like a middle linebacker in 43 defense would be doing many times per game. Both players could get off blocks and make tackles, Lambert by not allowing the blocker into his body (at 6'4" tall he had long arms) tio engage him and Harrison typically by brute strength.

Had Harrison had a longer career at a high level he would be a HOF candidate and Lambert was easily a HOF candidate and inductee.

Both players are great Steelers and will always remind me of great Steeler teams and defense. Selling one short because he played 30-35 years ago in a different era of football is silly.

Pappy

Well, I did watch pretty much every game that Lambert played and I can't remember a single time I saw him "trucked". I'd love to see a link to those plays. Lambert was probably one of the most technically supperior tacklers I've ever seen. Everytime he hit the runner he redirected the runner against the runners will.

If you didn't watch the LBs of the 70s don't discount how good they were because when it comes to Ham and Lambert I'd take them over any LB we have had in the past 25 years.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Well, I did watch pretty much every game that Lambert played and I can't remember a single time I saw him "trucked". I'd love to see a link to those plays. Lambert was probably one of the most technically supperior tacklers I've ever seen. Everytime he hit the runner he redirected the runner against the runners will.

If you didn't watch the LBs of the 70s don't discount how good they were because when it comes to Ham and Lambert I'd take them over any LB we have had in the past 25 years.

Yeah I never saw Lambert get trucked either. And I so agree with you about Lambert and ham.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

I'm with you, Ham and Lambert are still regarded as two of the best linebackers of all time by peers, former coaches and the media (save for a few players with sour grapes, basically any Raider). They both had the full complement of skills to play the position, they weren't just run stoppers or pass defenders or pass rushers, they were great at every facet of being an NFL linebacker and their first ballot enshrinement in the HOF verifies that fact.

I'm sure somewhere along the line both Ham and Lambert got in a position where the back had the advantage and lost the battle (every player does), but both tackled very well, Ham probably better than Lambert, but there weren't many yards gained after they hit you.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Pap was right- it's going to be very, very difficult to fill the shoes of James Harrison. In fact, Chadman would say, nearly impossible. So much so, that it's a better idea to not even try to 'replicate' Harrison, but invest in a player with his own skill set & physicality.

The leverage point is well made, and something the Steelers obviously take to heart- in the last 7 years, how many LB's drafted have been taller than 6'2"?

From this draft class, Eric Martin from Nebraska might be worth a look- about the right size (6'2" 250lbs) and plays with a bit of a mean streak (some might say a little out of control..).
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Lambert and Ham? Different era...

If JH played back then he would probably put a few guys in traction.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Lambert and Ham? Different era...

If JH played back then he would probably put a few guys in traction.
    Gotta consider that without current diet & training schemes, he wouldn't have been as big or powerful back then.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Pap was right- it's going to be very, very difficult to fill the shoes of James Harrison. In fact, Chadman would say, nearly impossible. So much so, that it's a better idea to not even try to 'replicate' Harrison, but invest in a player with his own skill set & physicality.

The leverage point is well made, and something the Steelers obviously take to heart- in the last 7 years, how many LB's drafted have been taller than 6'2"?

From this draft class, Eric Martin from Nebraska might be worth a look- about the right size (6'2" 250lbs) and plays with a bit of a mean streak (some might say a little out of control..).
    I think Sio Moore is more built like and plays like James Harrison than Eric Martin.

And if for some reason the Steelers were to get Jarvis Jones, I think he would have a problem replacing James Harrison.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bump!! This is the guy right here to replace James Harrison. And he could be had in round two. A first year combination of Worilds and Moore I think will suffice. And if Worilds pans out then this gives the Steelers some flexibility on what they can do with LaMarr Woodley (contract-cap wise).

Sio Moore has a ton of similarities to that of a young James Harrison.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I've seen Jack ran over like he got hit by a Mack Truck by backs like Earl Campbell and Pete Johnson. I have never seen JH get trucked. His lower leverage and insane strength makes that impossible.
    did you really just use Earl Campbell as if he was just some RB? Pretty sure he would have trucked JH as well... C'MON MAAAN!

I would guess both Bettis and guys like the much taller Fuamatu-Ma'Fala trucked JH a time or two in practice....
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville