Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JD is a baller

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    That was a sweet catch by Dwyer, though...it was a great catch at the time when it was needed most...
    Great catch. But it was just Ben being Ben. That's a difficult throw across the field to the receivers back shoulder. I give credit to Dwyer having the savvy to make that catch when he's a RB and doesn't likely practice that one too much. So. A better throw IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

That was a sweet catch by Dwyer, though...it was a great catch at the time when it was needed most...
    yes it was... I had to do a double take when I saw it was Dwyer, I thought it was a WR at first.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

And I tell you what: Things were looking very, very bad for Pgh before they made that play. That conversion was critical to Pgh holding onto the fort and not getting blown out. Yea, preseason, I know. But still. It shows you between Ben and JD, they come up big when it matters, and that is crucial.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    And I tell you what: Things were looking very, very bad for Pgh before they made that play. That conversion was critical to Pgh holding onto the fort and not getting blown out.
    Really?

Buffalo scored early but didn't score anything afterward...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Really?

Buffalo scored early but didn't score anything afterward...
    Yea, really. Pgh was struggling to even get off their own goal line for how many plays? The Bills were moving the ball but not putting points on the board. Had Pgh not made that first down, they likely wouldn't have scored until the scrubs were in the game. Buffalo had Pgh pinned back until they hit that pass to JD.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If JD had a work ethic he might have gotten drafted a lot higher. He has improved his conditioning but he is still a little soft around the middle. The NFL requires a maximum commitment to attain excellence, and although Dwyer has talent enough to stick in the league and make some good plays, he still will have to crank up the intensity of his workouts to be a major factor in the offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jonathan Dwyer: Steel City Survivor

Submitted by Syndicated sources on September 2, 2012

Going into the 2010 NFL Draft, Jonathan Dwyer was one of the hottest names floating around in dynasty circles. After all, he had just finished a fantastic career at Georgia Tech that saw him run for 1,395 yards in each of his last two seasons, on a healthy average of over 6.4 yards per carry. Tack on his 26 touchdowns in those two seasons and he looked like a future first round rookie pick in dynasty drafts.

All was not to be wine and roses, though.

Prior to the combine, Dwyer revealed he had been playing at around 240 pounds his entire Junior season (his last in college) and his coaches verified his weight was a constant challenge for him to maintain. He was able to get down to 229 for the NFL combine and ran a 4.59 40 at there, though some had him clocked in the 4.6 or 4.7 range, which is pretty sluggish for a tailback.

When you combined his disappointing combine numbers (somewhat verified at his pro day) with concerns about his ability coming from an unconventional triple option attack, the stock of Dwyer seemed to be slipping out of the first round and possibly as late as the third.

Things got worse from there.

Dwyer tested positive for a banned substance at the combine, but it was later deemed as acceptable due to a medical condition. That condition was never verified, but Dwyer himself stated it was for treatment of an attention deficit disorder. Ironically, the positive drug test didn’t hurt his draft stock, but the condition itself likely did as Dwyer fell all the way to the sixth round of the draft, being selected at #188 overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers. At that point, players aren’t even guaranteed a roster spot.

His first training camp was nearly a total disaster as he showed up overweight and hurt his hamstring on the first day. It didn’t get any better as he hurt his shoulder later in camp and looked to be clearly on the roster bubble. Dwyer salvaged a roster spot by playing well in the preseason’s last two games, rushing for 175 yards and a touchdown on 33 carries, good for an average of 5.3 yards per carry.

The Steelers knew he wouldn’t make it on to the practice squad, so they kept him on the active roster. He finished the season by appearing in one game, carrying the ball nine times for 28 yards – hardly what dynasty owners could have hoped for.

Going into 2011, hopes were again rekindled as Dwyer made the Steelers as the fourth running back. He finally broke out in week six with 107 yards on 11 carries against Tennessee, showing everyone he still did, indeed, have some talent. Unfortunately, he broke his foot shortly after that game and went on injured reserve, prompting many dynasty owners to finally cut bait.

This year again brought some new hope with Rashard Mendenhall hurt and Isaac Redman being the lead back to start camp. Dwyer reportedly showed up to camp in the best shape of his life and it’s finally translated to the field. With Redman being very average in the preseason, Dwyer took the most of his opportunity and ran for 147 yards on 28 carries, good for an average of nearly 5.3 yards per carry. He’s also caught three passes for 48 yards, which has never been his strong suit.

Going into the season, Dwyer finally has some momentum. He’s passed the eye test thus far during the preseason as Redman has struggled, gaining just 38 yards on 17 carries. The coaching staff isn’t revealing who will start for Pittsburgh (and they play in the late game on Sunday, which makes it tough), but there’s little doubt that Dwyer is going to begin the season with meaningful touches for the first time in his career, whether he’s the starter or not. The best bet at the moment is Dwyer and Redman split carries with Chris Rainey sprinkled in on occasion.

Dwyer has been a total disappointment in dynasty leagues – it’s just a fact. However, he’s finally going to get a chance to showcase his ability and possibly carve out a meaningful role in the offense. He’s a great player to have stashed on your bench right now because the Steelers running game is a huge question mark. If his preseason play can translate to the field in the regular season, it’s going to be tough to keep him on the bench, even when Mendenhall comes back.

Personally, I’ve never been a believer in Dwyer. His weight issues and lack of passion have always bothered me. It looks like those could be in the past, but I find myself skeptical. If he puts together some solid games early, he may be a great dynasty “sell” candidate to a contender as I still find it hard to believe he’s the long term answer at tailback for the Steelers. The only problem is going to be deciding what to do if those games he puts up are “great,” and not “solid.”

We’ll soon find out.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/jonathan_dwyer_steel_city_survivor/11610265[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    If JD had a work ethic he might have gotten drafted a lot higher. He has improved his conditioning but he is still a little soft around the middle. The NFL requires a maximum commitment to attain excellence, and although Dwyer has talent enough to stick in the league and make some good plays, he still will have to crank up the intensity of his workouts to be a major factor in the offense.
    I don't know, you remember a guy named Bettis? He was more than a "little soft" around the middle and he was a tremendous back, a Hall of Famer, in my opinion.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I don't know, you remember a guy named Bettis? He was more than a "little soft" around the middle and he was a tremendous back, a Hall of Famer, in my opinion.
    Bettis showed his ability from day one, when he was rookie of the year...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bettis and Dwyer in the same sentence? I think you are going overboard. Noone questioned Bettis' passion or work ethic . Bettis is a rare breed. Most people felt Dwyer needed to lose some pounds. Maybe he can play well in his current condition. We'll find out this season.