Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nix is growing on me

Backup

User Info Menu

So if we draft Nix will McClendon move to DE and can he play there at his height and weight? Just trying to justify using a 1st rnd pick on a position we are ok at with McClendon.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    NT is definitely important, but I will take a stud DE over a stud NT any day of the week in this NFL (which is very different than 10 years ago, hence why the Aaron Smith and Brett Keisels of the world were late round draft picks)

There arent many teams running a 34 with a true stud NT, and the ones that do either play 1 gap (Poe, or previously Ratliff) or they move them to DE because they are such studs and want them on the field (Ngata, Raji) because the offenses right now have negated the inside cog with the zone stretch

I just value Hageman or Tuitt over Nix on the dline, and I think Nix is a fine player and would love him to be a steeler, just not at 15
    I agree, I don't think Nix provides much "value" at 1.15. It doesn't appear that he is close to BPA at 1.15 and I don't want a reach. I would prefer either Dennard or Gilbert over Nix.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Cam Thomas has taken nix out of discussion for 15.

Not that they are comparable as players, i just think they are ready to move forward with what they have.

Zach Kerr is a favorite of mine for the draft though

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I"m kinda on this Ryan Carrethers out of Arkansas State band wagon with a 5th round pick. 6 foot, about 330. Save that 1.15 pick for someone that falls....
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    So if we draft Nix will McClendon move to DE and can he play there at his height and weight? Just trying to justify using a 1st rnd pick on a position we are ok at with McClendon.
    Why take a TE... we're OK. there... and we're OK at WR's... apparently, OK, to you, means "we have a body there".

Quote Originally Posted by K Train
    He's my second favorite NT... If the team passed on Nix, which is quite possible considering all the needs, THIS is my option #2.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Wait a minute. The best Ds Lewis was ever on had Siragusa and Sam Adams in front of him. It wasn't until he lost those guys, BEFORE Ngata got there that the D suffered. During those seasons, Ray had OGs and OCs reaching him. The 2000 Raven's D had a great DL in front of Ray. That D was superior and, yes, the DTs were a huge part of making it go.
    Nice point. However, they were "good" not "great".
    Nevertheless, they had a "good" line. Lewis was great, and we all know that.

Back to the point, I GIVE Ngata props HE is a playmaker and a "Great" defensive lineman. That happens on 4-3 teams.
    He IS NOT as valuable as Lewis in his prime.....not by a long shot.

Nevertheless, I draft him at the spot IN A SECOND, especially if we ran a 4-3. I dont hate on interior linemen. Heck guys like Sapp (despite the hate here) and John Randle dominated from the inside. Our own Joe Greene and the Cowboys Randy White if you want to go old school.

Nix at 15 because we need someone to "occupy blockers" in our defense? No thanks.

My larger point is this.
    I tire of the "enlightened" fan POV that implies that NT in our D requires some rare skillset that requires going THIS HIGH.

Casey had some rare quicks for his size (not speed, quicks) it was kind of shocking and you go whoa when it happened from the behemoth. Those flashes is why Steeler fans see him as so rare. But game in and game out how much did THAT part of his skillset even matter? This is because "occupy blockers" as was his job description. You cant show "quick" when your job is having two guys draped on you every play. He wants to "engage blockers not "beat" them.

I bring up HOKE not because I think he was was better but because his ONLY excelling SKILL was strong (not as strong, maybe a little faster not as quick) and WE WERE FINE with that. 17-1 as a starter dont lie.

Big, ox strong, ZERO speed is all you need. You dont need to use 1-15 to draft THAT guy.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 03-18-2014 at 06:50 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Nice point. However, they were "good" not "great". Nevertheless, they had a "good" line.
    Lewis was great, and we all know that.
    Back to the point, I GIVE Ngata props HE is a playmaker. That happens on 4-3 teams.
    He IS NOT as valuable as Lewis in his prime.....not by a long shot.

Nevertheless, I draft him at the spot IN A SECOND, especially if we ran a 4-3. I dont hate on interior linemen. Heck guys like Sapp (despite the hate here) and John Randle dominated from the inside. Our own Joe Greene and the Cowboys Randy White if you want to go old school.

Nix at 15 because we need someone to "occupy blockers" in our defense? No thanks.
    But, you're missing the point. It's our defensive scheme. THAT is how it works. It's like saying, "I don't care if we run a lot, who needs TEs who can block, I just need TEs who can catch".
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    could draft him with a very late pick too...

mine would be Justin Ellis from La Tech.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    We aren't saying that. I'm not in favor of Nix at 1.15 just for the record. I am on record as saying the NT matters in the 3-4 and saying that we can have ****ty NT and simply focus on the ILB position is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. It's not even remotely true.. the 49ers have proved that as do the Ravens, as do the Steelers and so on...
    Did anyone say they want a bad player at ANY POSITION?
    Please reread the thread topic before calling people stupid.
    The topic is Nix in the first period. I argued against THAT.

You keep bring up the Niners.They had the leagues best pair of inside linebackes THEN got their NT.
    But they were the best interior defense IN THE LEAGUE with Isaac Sopoaga at NT. Was aging Sopoanga the key to their success?

A year ago Sopoaga left the Niners signing a 3 year deal, he was traded mid season and was just recently cut in the span of ONE YEAR.

But Sopoanga is the kind of guy I want to draft. 4th rounder, 42 reps at the combine, beast strong.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    But, you're missing the point. It's our defensive scheme. THAT is how it works. It's like saying, "I don't care if we run a lot, who needs TEs who can block, I just need TEs who can catch".
    My brother YOU make my point better than anything I have said yet.
    I agree it is ALL about our scheme.

Using your same analogy, if we run alot and have no intention of featuring the tight end, I am NOT using 1-15 to draft the best "blocking" tight end in the draft. While I recognize the value, I can get that guy later.

I absolutely WANT a guy who EXCELS at occupying blockers. The skill set that OUR defense requires need not be drafted 1-15.

San Fran did it drafting Sopoaga in the 4th, and features TWO all pro linebackers before signing a replacement.
    We should do the same.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 03-18-2014 at 07:57 PM.

TCFCLTC-