Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers playing for more than pride against Browns

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    After we lost to the Bengals. This game became irrelevant. It's like watching the Pirates after the All Star break.
    If you say so...

But, you're wrong...

You still have, what, 80 games after All-Star break?

There are only 16 Steeler games per year...only two against the Browns...only one of those in Pittsburgh...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    Its okay for the team and players to pack it in for the season, but not the fans?

The Steelers packed it in weeks ago....

The players should be playing for their jobs after their performance this year....
    Yeah, they've packed it in...

You can tell by how badly they've been blown out in every game...and how they never had a chance to win any of them...

Are you going to tell me that Cortez Allen "packed it in" last week?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers are soft mentally. They couldn't show up in the must win or over the last 6 weeks. I will not EVER root for a loss. But I have less confidence this week than any of the "easy win" games all season. They showed me one game of heart against the Ravens.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?!?!?

When did it become okay to lose to the Browns?!?!?!

When did PlanetSteelers become Bizarro World?
    I couldn't agree more. The idea of losing being okay at any point is idiotic, IMO. I don't give a rats rectum if this game is "irrelevant" from a playoffs perspective. The fact that the team couldn't rise to the occasion against "lesser" foes earlier in the year is exactly why they need to do it now. Winners may have a down year here and there, but they don't play for better draft picks.

If the Steelers can't make the playoffs, then be the best team that didn't. Be the team that all the others are glad they don't have to face again. Most of all, end the year with a win against a traditional division foe.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If you say so...

But, you're wrong...

You still have, what, 80 games after All-Star break?

There are only 16 Steeler games per year...only two against the Browns...only one of those in Pittsburgh...

My silliness is lost in these difficult times. Just saying we're usually certain the Pirates are out of playoff contention by midseason.

Again, I'm not rooting against the team. I just don't see any relevance between winning or losing. It's not going to matter either way. I just want to see players step up and show some resolve. I want to see some young guys desperate to win a starting spot.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The "pride game" was last Sunday against the Bumgals. Winning this Sunday for "pride" is too little, too late. In other words it would be a meaningless gesture.

Let's not forget the other "pride games" against Oakland, Tennessee and San Diego. They need to lose this Sunday so they have to live the off season with the stain of a sub-.500 record. Maybe that gets some players motivated to work harder and coaches and the front office motivated to make some real changes. Complacency has found a comfortable home in Pittsburgh.
    Yea screw pride. That was supposed to mean something when the games meant something. They were an embarrassment this year, so lose, and lose in disgrace, so some REAL changes will go down.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    The idea of losing being okay at any point is idiotic, IMO.
    I agree. It's as idiotic as winning mattering at this point. This weekend is about re-arranging chairs on the Titanic for both clubs. It sucks to be in the same boat as the Browns

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Steelers are soft mentally. They couldn't show up in the must win or over the last 6 weeks. I will not EVER root for a loss. But I have less confidence this week than any of the "easy win" games all season. They showed me one game of heart against the Ravens.
    They showed some heart vs. NYG, Skins and the first game vs. Cinci. Not much other than that. Sad. Head coach has to be held accountable. Something is broken.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I agree. It's as idiotic as winning mattering at this point. This weekend is about re-arranging chairs on the Titanic for both clubs. It sucks to be in the same boat as the Browns
    By next year, we might not even be able to say that (Same boat as Browns). They are improving, we are.....getting worse and worse. Browns could easily be better than us by next year. Richardson may be at full steam (he has been dinged all season this year), their D is starting to improve, with a pass rush that is reaching out and touching someone, and they will most definitely improve the number of play makers. If they got a real QB, they will be better than us in 2013, if they aren't already.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    By next year, we might not even be able to say that (Same boat as Browns). They are improving, we are.....getting worse and worse. Browns could easily be better than us by next year.
    Yet there are those who want us to get rid of our best RB and WR.