Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: This D is awful

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Kinda like how we are missing James Harrison and his leadership this year after some had called for his release the past several years.
    Leadership might be all we're missing from James ... His play this year ... yeah, right, we should have kept him. As a matter of fact, based on leadership alone, let's bring back Harrison (when he's released by Cincy), Farrior, Hampton, Ward, Batch aaaand ..... Jerome Bettis ... That'll right the ship for sure. There come's a time as "The Emperor" said when it's just time to get on with "your life's work" ... even if that work is enjoying retirement.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    So tell me, how often does the coach make this 'switch in theme'? Draft guys that fit a 4-3, then lose a few to FA, do you switch back to a 3-4 or go looking for a 4-3 replacement? There is a reason why more teams have gone to a 3-4 over the last few years than vice versa. It works, even in this pass-happy league. Horton has put together a strong 3-4 in CLE. Had NE on the ropes until the end. If it wasn't for crap refs, they win in NE.

It doesn't take more than one player to tip the balance. Just need to find that guy.
    The 3-4 can be executed lots of different ways, e.g. 1 gap vs zero gap, press coverage versus tackle the catch. Don't have to change the base formation.

My point about the 4-3 has always been primarily based on it is easier to replenish the talent because players come from college and step into their natural positions versus being "conversion projects." The problem with "Conversion projects" that take a couple years is that you can't afford more than a couple misses because the problem just becomes bigger. I think our defense is struggling because too many of the conversions have failed.

Both defenses work, but my articulation of wanting to see the 4-3 considered has always been because I think there is a greater ability to get players on the field sooner and the margin for error is more forgiving.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Kinda like how we are missing James Harrison and his leadership this year after some had called for his release the past several years.

We aren't missing Harrison at all this year. He is a total non-factor for the Bumgals. It was right to let him go versus paying his salary desires which he isn't worth anymore.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think alot of our defensive woes start with the fact that Troy basically plays LB now. He is in that position or a the LOS 80% of the time now.

That limits his ability to impact games like he used to. He had a great play on the pick 6, but I can't believe how many times I see Troy totally out of the play on certain plays. It's almost like our D having only 10 players sometimes. There is no question that during the SB runs, if Troy played, they won. If not, it was a lot tougher. He is that good for this D. I am not sure why he plays with the front 7 as much as he does now. He's always been good in run support but now he rarely is in the defensive backfield.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    who was that joker we had before DL? I can't remember his name but he was terrible.
    Tim Lewis for 2 or 3 years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    I think alot of our defensive woes start with the fact that Troy basically plays LB now. He is in that position or a the LOS 80% of the time now.

That limits his ability to impact games like he used to. He had a great play on the pick 6, but I can't believe how many times I see Troy totally out of the play on certain plays. It's almost like our D having only 10 players sometimes. There is no question that during the SB runs, if Troy played, they won. If not, it was a lot tougher. He is that good for this D. I am not sure why he plays with the front 7 as much as he does now. He's always been good in run support but now he rarely is in the defensive backfield.
    Personally, I wonder if Troy could be moved to the inside. Probably not big enough...but it makes me wonder if we could extend his career a bit by getting 2-3 seasons out of him at ILB.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Personally, I wonder if Troy could be moved to the inside. Probably not big enough...but it makes me wonder if we could extend his career a bit by getting 2-3 seasons out of him at ILB.
    He's not a good enoughgh tackler and guesses too much to play inside, you need a guy that executes his responsibilities (Farrior) on the inside. Plus, even if he did tackle well and he makes 100 tackles he won't last physically, IMHO.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Worilds is playing better since he switched sides... but is he going to play better if we resign him? Seems like our players are playing well enough to get paid but that's about it.
    Worilds has always shown more on the left than the right. He is like two different players. I don't know what else he will do moving forward, but if you only look at his play throughout his career at LOLB, then he does have a solid body of work.

Legend

User Info Menu

The James Harrison that we are missing on the field does not exist anymore. He resides with the Casey Hampton that we are missing. Put those two, in their primes, in our lineup today, and this is as good a D as there is. Put those two in the lineup as they are today, and we are as bad as we currently are.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nah... Harrison was still a good vs the run and we saw a drastic improvement in rushing D when he returned last year.