Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think it was a bad decision to go for the field goal...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Correct. And anyway, why not go with your stars on such an important play ... Heath or Brown, not your 3rd RB.

Legend

User Info Menu

i can only assume that he made fg kicks from that distance in pregame warm ups. if that was the case i understand why the coaches had confidence in him. plus hes kicked the ball well all year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tomlin said his decision was based on the 52 yard make earlier in the game, and he took responsibility for the decision and the result.

Backup

User Info Menu

You cant defend that DUMB decision. Tomlin is an idiot. ROONEY RULE.......

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    You cant defend that DUMB decision. Tomlin is an idiot. ROONEY RULE.......
    Didn't take long for the peanut gallery to chime in...
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Why would the Steelers who are not high scoring team not have a kicker that can easily make from mid 50's..why?
    I thought that was mandatory in the NFL now!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree! If it's out of his range and are defense cannot stop...why would you not go for it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The thing that bothers me is lately the Steelers seem to be playing for game winning field goals instead of game winning touchdowns. And I think this is sending a bad message to the offense.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Tough call
    Personally I was hoping they punted and pinned them down inside the 20
    Titans still had 3 Timeouts left at this point and the defense couldnt stop a 1 legged dog

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin earlier in the year had already signaled that he has no faith in the defense (didn't he go for it on 4th deep on OUR side of the field?). So the only supportable decision last night, assuming he hadn't thought the defense had improved since earlier in the year (and why would he do that?) would be the one that minimized the chances that the defense would be on the field.

So that would have been to go for it, or to have Sweezum try. Bad Vegas odds either way, but at least higher than anything that depended on the defense. I said during the chat I would have gone for it, but in retrospect I think the kick was the right call (I assume Sweez had done something to convince Tomlin he could make it) - with not a great chance of either the kick or going for it being successful, why not choose the one that at least has a chance of getting points on the board.

Long answer short - we can't win games, even if the offense is the best in the history of the universe, if we don't trust our defense to stop a 1-legged dog.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!