Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: They say it takes 5 years before you can evaluate a draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you combine '08 with '09 you have consecutive years with less than stellar drafts. '08 was horrendous - Mendenhall (at least got some productive seasons out of him), Sweed (total bust), Davis (huge reach and a total bust), Hills (never developed and spent most of his time inactive), Dixon (inconsistent at best), Humpal (injured but was ST only even if healthy) and then Mundy (solid late choice who's developed). This '08 draft was a killer.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Most of those players had significant playing time in the NFL. No one's great but some solid players on that list. Urbik and Summers are both playing for the Bills and doing well.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    If you combine '08 with '09 you have consecutive years with less than stellar drafts. '08 was horrendous - Mendenhall (at least got some productive seasons out of him), Sweed (total bust), Davis (huge reach and a total bust), Hills (never developed and spent most of his time inactive), Dixon (inconsistent at best), Humpal (injured but was ST only even if healthy) and then Mundy (solid late choice who's developed). This '08 draft was a killer.
    Recapping that '08 draft, while they were not MY guys, the team has never done a better job of filling fan mocks than THAT year.

We needed an RB and got Mendenhall, arguably the top back in the draft. Most thought he was the best.
    We needed a WR and got Limas, STUD at Texas.
    Before his injury, Dennis Dixon was one of the leaders for the Heisman that year and his team (with him and Jonathan Stewart) were contenders for national championship.
    We may not have known Davis, but, such is the case with a lot of our OLB converts before-hand. I was willing to wait.

I have never come away from a draft more satisfied on draft day. Though I preferred Ray Rice, Cliff Avril, I admit I would have taken Dixon and Sweed.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Recapping that '08 draft, while they were not MY guys, the team has never done a better job of filling fan mocks than THAT year.

We needed an RB and got Mendenhall, arguably the top back in the draft. Most thought he was the best.
    We needed a WR and got Limas, STUD at Texas.
    Before his injury, Dennis Dixon was one of the leaders for the Heisman that year and his team (with him and Jonathan Stewart) were contenders for national championship.
    We may not have known Davis, but, such is the case with a lot of our OLB converts before-hand. I was willing to wait.

I have never come away from a draft more satisfied on draft day. Though I preferred Ray Rice, Cliff Avril, I admit I would have taken Dixon and Sweed.
    As I recall, there were a whole lot of people stoked after that draft. Mendy and Sweed were considered nothing less than steals at the time. Heck, somebody was even posting about how Mendy was better at that moment than Willie Parker.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Count me as one of those that was stoked about that draft. I thought Mendenhall and Sweed were going to be 10 year studs on our team. I remember people mocking Sweed in the 1st and Mendy as a top 10 pick. I couldn't believe we got both of those guys. Man, was I wrong.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    Count me as one of those that was stoked about that draft. I thought Mendenhall and Sweed were going to be 10 year studs on our team. I remember people mocking Sweed in the 1st and Mendy as a top 10 pick. I couldn't believe we got both of those guys. Man, was I wrong.
    I thought it was amazing.

Keep in mind im pretty sure they were targeting Mike Jenkins or Kentwan Balmer with that first pick, so it was a dodged bullet because mendenhall was actually a productive NFL player

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I thought it was amazing.

Keep in mind im pretty sure they were targeting Mike Jenkins or Kentwan Balmer with that first pick, so it was a dodged bullet because mendenhall was actually a productive NFL player
    With Mendy being "the top guy", I fully expected him to be gone and to have Jonathan Stewart there -- and to pass on him. That woulda killed me, too - I thought *he* was the top back with Mendy 3rd (behind Rice, 2nd).
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    To be fair...of the 5 guys you list as "players taken after the Steelers picked"...

3 are no longer with the team that drafted them. How great do the draft classes of those teams look now?
    OK, then ignore the other picks completely. Now what? Do you now think the 2009 draft class was decent? OK? It was a train wreck. A complete waste. Garbage. No matter how you slice it, they crapped their pants in 2009 and it's hurting us right now.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    with his production as a 3rd round pick, wallace was a draft pick steal.

deciding not to keep him is different then being a bust pick.

what about ramon fostr. was he signed as an UDFA that year? add him to the list. he beat out urbrik
    Being undrafted, Foster can't be included in the 2009 draft class discussion. I was specifically posting on the 2009 draft class, and how crappy it was.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    OK, then ignore the other picks completely. Now what? Do you now think the 2009 draft class was decent? OK? It was a train wreck. A complete waste. Garbage. No matter how you slice it, they crapped their pants in 2009 and it's hurting us right now.
    Agreed... There is no reason to try to make excuses to "try" to make things look better than what they are.

The draft sucked.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.