Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers could pull Redman's tender offer

Rookie

User Info Menu

The reason that Redman is still on the roster is that, unlike Dwyer, he is a legit short yardage back...both are "between the tackles" types, but Dwyer failed more often in short yardage situations, comparatively...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Agreed to a degree- Redman is a more rounded type of RB to Dwyer. But not enough, in Chadman's opinion, to sink another $1m into. Bradshaw is worth the money they want to pay Redman. Get him signed, draft a RB at some point & pick up a UDFA to be the 4th guy to push/compete with Batch for the #4 RB spot.
    I'm with the line of thinking neither Dwyer or Redman took advantage of their opportunity to distinguish themselves as a #1. Redman will be 29 & Dwyer still could have some upside. If they sign Bradshaw & draft one there is no need for Redman IMO. If they don't sign Bradshaw and look to the draft, I would wait until it all unfolds to make a decision.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I'm with the line of thinking neither Dwyer or Redman took advantage of their opportunity to distinguish themselves as a #1. Redman will be 29 & Dwyer still could have some upside. If they sign Bradshaw & draft one there is no need for Redman IMO. If they don't sign Bradshaw and look to the draft, I would wait until it all unfolds to make a decision.
    I tend to agree. Set Redman adrift. Sign a vet like Bradshaw or trade for Ivory. Draft a RB about Round 3. Still got Batch on the roster too with a full year experience and a full year of recovery from his knee injury. Sign a UDFA too. That will be alot of competition in the backfield.

Obviously the key is that Dwyer has to "get it" this season and play up to his potential.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I tend to agree. Set Redman adrift. Sign a vet like Bradshaw or trade for Ivory. Draft a RB about Round 3. Still got Batch on the roster too with a full year experience and a full year of recovery from his knee injury. Sign a UDFA too. That will be alot of competition in the backfield.

Obviously the key is that Dwyer has to "get it" this season and play up to his potential.
    I think you are right about Dwyer. He has a one way ticket in 2013 and the only way the Steelers pick up the tab for his return is if he becomes what they thought he could be. His problem is he may have to do it with less reps than he was given last year. He may really regret his 2012 effort when he is looking out at the offense from the sideline just hoping for a touch.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I think you are right about Dwyer. He has a one way ticket in 2013 and the only way the Steelers pick up the tab for his return is if he becomes what they thought he could be. His problem is he may have to do it with less reps than he was given last year. He may really regret his 2012 effort when he is looking out at the offense from the sideline just hoping for a touch.
    I'm not so sure he will regret not making the effort. Hell, I'll stand on the sidelines and watch, hoping I don't get a touch, for 1.2 million.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Huh? sporadic toughness? crapped the bed?

Redman is not uber talented, but questioning his toughness is plain insanity.

Go back and watch the Giants game. He played hurt and ran like a man possessed all game long. He was injured through most of last season. It happens.
    Call it what you want: toughness, work ethic, dedication... whatever it is, he lacks it. I will admit; I had some pretty lofty hopes for him as a feature back. In that regard, he did crap the bed. But I'm not talking just production. When Mendenhall ended the season on IR, that was Redman's alarm clock to grab destiny by the horns. The man in front of him gets hurt, he (Redman) finishes the season with two 100-yard games, and he is about to enter a contract year. Opportunity was knocking, HARD.

What did he do? He came to camp, in probably the same shape he normally does. And he proceeded to injure his groin/hip/ankle whatever it was. Now... injuries do happen, but how you return from injury is telling. The guy showed no urgency. That is what I mean by crap the bed. He had a likewise young stallion alongside him (who BTW, also basically crapped his bed too).

I think of the scene from Braveheart where Wallace asks the Army whether they, in the future as old men, would be willing to trade all the days they might live, for a chance to come back to that moment and fight for themselves. This was his one moment. It was on a golden platter. And he proceeded to poop himself (with his lack of _____. I called it toughness.)