Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something to think about in regards to this years draft...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so say, if a jarvis jones starts to slide, you don't go and get him if possible?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    so say, if a jarvis jones starts to slide, you don't go and get him if possible?
    If it costs us two additional picks then no I wouldn't do it for a player who will be on the field minimally for at least the next year.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

fair enough. I just don't believe the only player we should look for at 17 is an OL. Trading back does make sense to me. Going back 5-6 spots and grabbing either WR hopkins or patterson would be ok with me. I'm just not locked into OL being the only pick at 17 as you seem to be.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If it costs us two additional picks then no I wouldn't do it for a player who will be on the field minimally for at least the next year.
    Why are you so hung up on having all these picks? Half the players more than likely wont even make a roster. It happens every year. Plus this team will get at least one compensatory pick this year and possibly as many as 3-5 next year. Trade a 2nd round pick next year and our 3rd round pick this year and you end up with two plug and play starters in Eric Fisher and Kevin Minter. Plus by drafting LT Eric Fisher it now gives you a little of that depth (on the O-line), you so want. Now you have a legitimate battle going on for the RT spot.

When are you ever going to be able to do that?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Here. I'll lay it out. Assuming Ben stays healthy next season and they do some re-structuring of contracts (Ben, Ike, Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, etc.), which we know they will (they always do). This would enable them to re-sign Lewis and keep Harrison and Ike. The adding of two players from this draft could change the entire outlook of this team.

Two guys who you can plug and play from day one. Two guys on each side of the ball that improves this team.

Eric Fisher and Kevin Minter.

Knowing there are going to be several extra picks next year, you can trade up to get both of these players this year and it really doesn't hurt your accumulation of depth. Trading the #64 overall pick in 2014 would allow you to move up this year to at least spot 12. Trading away this years 3rd round pick would allow you to move up back into round one to at least pick number 30. So they lose a 3rd rounder this year and 2nd rounder next year but they are probably getting at least 4-5 extra picks next year.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, but there are only two players I am trading up for at this point. Moore and Fisher. I don't think we can trade up far enough to get either without giving up the farm. Fisher is going in the top 7 or 8 picks. I don't think we can go from 17 to 8 with just a 2nd rounder.

I am content to see if we can trade up two or three spots to get Lane Johnson. He's going to be a good left tackle.

Does anyone realize that Johnson has only played o-line for three years. He was a junior college QB three years ago!

I would like to see a trade back and pick up an extra 2nd round pick in this years draft. It is a deep draft and two high 2nd round picks would be great.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, but there are only two players I am trading up for at this point. Moore and Fisher. I don't think we can trade up far enough to get either without giving up the farm. Fisher is going in the top 7 or 8 picks. I don't think we can go from 17 to 8 with just a 2nd rounder.

I am content to see if we can trade up two or three spots to get Lane Johnson. He's going to be a good left tackle.

Does anyone realize that Johnson has only played o-line for three years. He was a junior college QB three years ago!

I would like to see a trade back and pick up an extra 2nd round pick in this years draft. It is a deep draft and two high 2nd round picks would be great.
    I dont think Fisher will go in the top 8. Teams are going to reach for QB's. They do it every year. Fisher I think is there at pick 12. And trading a second rounder next year with our #17 this year gets you there. And this is using the formula that the Steelers have the #64 overall pick next year. Meaning they win the Super Bowl next year. How many opposing team are thinking right now the Steelers win next years super bowl? Therefore the value of that pick may be even greater in their minds and possibly moves us up to 11 or 10.

#17 overall is a trade value of 950 points.
    #64 overall is a trade value of 270 points
    ------------------------------------------
    1220 points is between pick number 11 and pick number 12 overall.

We can get Eric Fisher without mortgaging the farm. And I also think we can still get Kevin Minter as well.

#48 overall is a trade value of 430 points
    #79 (this years 3rd) is a trade value of 195 points
    -------------------------------------------------
    625 points gets you into the back end of round one

And who knows?..maybe it wont even take that much. Minter may actually be there early second round (picks 33-3

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am high on Johnson to but the difference right now between Fisher and him is big. Fisher can play immediate and perform at a high level. Not so sure Johnson is ready to go right now. Great upside as you point out but not so sure he is ready to go for a while.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I am high on Johnson to but the difference right now between Fisher and him is big. Fisher can play immediate and perform at a high level. Not so sure Johnson is ready to go right now. Great upside as you point out but not so sure he is ready to go for a while.
    That's why I only trade up a few spots to get Johnson. I am getting the sneaky suspicion the Steelers will go for a true Left Tackle in the first round should one present itself.

There are really only three true first round left tackles that I see. Joeckle, Fisher, Johnson. They may all be gone by the time we pick.

The second question I have is whether we go for a player like Hankins or Jenkins if they are available at 17?

This is a tough draft to figure for the Steelers.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's why I only trade up a few spots to get Johnson. I am getting the sneaky suspicion the Steelers will go for a true Left Tackle in the first round should one present itself.

There are really only three true first round left tackles that I see. Joeckle, Fisher, Johnson. They may all be gone by the time we pick.

The second question I have is whether we go for a player like Hankins or Jenkins if they are available at 17?

This is a tough draft to figure for the Steelers.
    Another thing to consider is how many of the juniors are going to sky-rocket up the board after the combine and pro-days? Who knows maybe your guy Dion Jordan could fly up the board and cause some to drop a spot or two.

Mark my words. A QB or two is going to be picked in the top ten just because of the importance of the position and the fact teams are always willing to reach for them. You throw a Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, and maybe even a Matt Barkley into that mix and some one slides.

Starter

User Info Menu

Originally Posted by Dee Dub [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=546749#post546749"][/URL]
    The Steelers very well could have a boat load of draft picks next year (2014). With possible losses in free agency of Starks, Wallace, Foster, Lewis, Foote, and Mendenhall, this could net a very descent return in compensatory picks. Lewis, Wallace, and Starks could even bring back a relatively high one. With the possibility of having 9-12 picks next year, the Steelers could very easily trade away a second or third rounder next year if they wanted to move up and draft a player like Eric Fisher or even Chance Warmack.
    Hopefully they see a guy they have ranked so highly they can't help but go and get.

Big Rob said: Otherwise I prefer them to do the opposite. Trade back and get a crap load of extra picks this year. There is no clear cut top of the draft, but it is very deep. I would love to see them move back once or twice and get a bunch of extra picks.

Then use those picks this year and in next years draft to get young in a hurry again.

---I also would prefer the trade down idea this year. But the reality is if there is any trading it would be up. Every year a number of mocks suggest the trade down idea and they usually are very good, but someone will post that TS [the Steelers] have never traded their 1st rd pick down.[some later rd picks yes but not a 1st rd pick]Not sure if that is true or not but i do believe it.

Also a bit surprised Dee Dub came up with Mock 3.0 prior to todays Senior Bowl game. I kind of liked the positions drafted in 2.0 OLB, WR, SS/FS.[in any order] I don't do mocks but I was thinking that it would okay to somehow come up with prior to the 3rd rd. 3 players as alternates to Terrance Williams, Ezekiel Ansah and Rambo. They were Markus Wheaton, Alex Okafor, and Eric Reid. That was just in case the other 3 were drafted just ahead of when the Steelers picked. A trade down might not be needed but a trade up in rd 2 might be. What does anyone think of those players. They are all ranked in the 40-50 range except Okafor who is once in a while in the top 25.[but not always]

btw: Had TS taken Bobby Wagner as Big Rob suggested last season as the alternate if Hightower was gone then this years draft would be a little simpler.

I just don't see TS letting Starks go.