Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pouncey extened for 5 more years ($44 million with $13 million signing bonus)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There will be haters. Pouncey skill set & athleticism is one thing...It is at the Top of the list for interior OL. Pouncey has very quick presnap recognition & is very good adjusting line calls all the way to the snap. Very intelligent & a student of the game. I have no problem with this signing at all. You get Decastro locked up next year. Gilbert will walk after 2014. You have your starting OTs in the Beachum, Adams, Johnson, mix for 2015. If any of them fail you have the draft. I'm perfectly fine with paying 2 interior guys Top Dollars on the OL if we are dedicating ourselves to zone blocking.

Look long term here guys. "IF" the players drafted & signed are who they think they are...Where the Steelers going next years draft? Doesn't look to be a QB, RB, WR, DL, ILB, or S RD 1. Now throw in some "ifs". If They lock up Worilds long term...Take away OLB. If Richardson & Blake turn out to be what they think they could be...Take away CB. The Steelers may really only have starting to look for Millers replacement on their plate. If the OTs on this roster turn out to be (what it seems so many are rooting for) "Busts"......You make OT a draft day need. Really...No worries here.

I'm using my crystal ball with a sprinkle of "worst case scenario". The Steelers investments will be "profitable". I feel Worilds is in the long term plans this year or next. I feel the defensive starters for years to come are all on this roster right now with some depth behind them. So the Steelers won't be looking at DL, LB, or DB early next year. I look on the other side of the ball & I could see TE coming up with the #1 & #2 being 32 & 31. If there are any questions at OT at the end of the year...You can address in draft. I don't see QB, RB, or WR being an early target. So if the LT "experiments" fail...You draft your LT in the 1st of the 2015 draft even if you have to use a 3rd to go get one. 5th year option for 1st rounders make for good cornerstone picks. If Munchak's influence isn't visible at the end of 2014 with Adams, Beachum, & Johnson...The Steelers will know their direction.

Everyone put down the half empty or half full glass. Let's just "ASSume" this FO & coaching staff knows what they are doing. Let's NOT look at the roster as overflowing with potential...Let's look at it as the Pieces are in place. Locking up the "Knowns" for the future creates Runs...And not the lumpy kind. Pouncey's $$$ does nothing to hinder that. Ike's & Troy's $ are going to be gone. The Steelers will recover about 6 mil of dead money for 2015 versus the nearly 11 mil this year they are absorbing. The books are fine. Gotta pay the talent to make strides forward. Building a core is what kept them as contenders for so many years. Have to keep locking up those pieces.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post

This is a very friendly deal despit the big scary number of $8.8 million per year...its not as cut and dry as dividing 44 by 5
    Exactly... I was pretty sure Pouncey would sign a deal that "looked" like it was 8 mill per year on paper...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Great news. He will live up to the deal. Heyward is on deck
    Since they picked up his 5th year option...They may decide to wait until the start of 2015. I think Cortez Allen should be on the Top of that list. The more pen to paper...The more Worilds scratches his chin.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Since they picked up his 5th year option...They may decide to wait until the start of 2015. I think Cortez Allen should be on the Top of that list. The more pen to paper...The more Worilds scratches his chin.
    No problem with the signing, but I don't see the Cortez love affair here. He hasn't shown me anything yet.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

HORRIBLE MISTAKE. Back ups were as good, if not better. This stinks. When they start signing guys to huge deals they don't deserve, the team ends up stinking. This was a horrid decision. This decision was based on EGO. Horrible.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    HORRIBLE MISTAKE. Back ups were as good, if not better. This stinks. When they start signing guys to huge deals they don't deserve, the team ends up stinking. This was a horrid decision. This decision was based on EGO. Horrible.
    your post are based on EGO

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    No problem with the signing, but I don't see the Cortez love affair here. He hasn't shown me anything yet.

He has shown he is a solid CB with the arrow pointing up. It's about value right now. He is a FA at the end of the year & making 1.5 mil. This is one of those deals where you could save yourself 1 mil+ avg a year getting a deal done now. You get him at or South of Lewis 5/25...You do the deal. Get his year 1 in the 2.5 range & 6 mil SB. You don't want a CB with promise to play out his final year if you have nobody locked up opposite. Once they tagged Worilds & took the 5th year option with Heyward...I went #1Pouncey, #2 Allen, & Then #3 Worilds. Worilds is the only one on that list they DON"T have to get done if it doesn't work for the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks Steelers for extending the life of my Pouncey jersey!!!

6 more years of Pouncey in the rotation at least

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

He has shown he is a solid CB with the arrow pointing up. It's about value right now. He is a FA at the end of the year & making 1.5 mil. This is one of those deals where you could save yourself 1 mil+ avg a year getting a deal done now. You get him at or South of Lewis 5/25...You do the deal. Get his year 1 in the 2.5 range & 6 mil SB. You don't want a CB with promise to play out his final year if you have nobody locked up opposite. Once they tagged Worilds & took the 5th year option with Heyward...I went #1Pouncey, #2 Allen, & Then #3 Worilds. Worilds is the only one on that list they DON"T have to get done if it doesn't work for the Steelers.
    I agree - I'd try to lock up Allen now if I was the Steelers. On the flip side, if I'm Cortez Allen - do I bet on myself? Even a low level long-term deal leaves you set for life, but how much do you potentially leave on the table, weighed against the risk of injury.

I wonder if he'd go for something like a 3 year, $12 million dollar deal. Gives him money now and lets him hit free agency at 28. Could be a win-win.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I agree - I'd try to lock up Allen now if I was the Steelers. On the flip side, if I'm Cortez Allen - do I bet on myself? Even a low level long-term deal leaves you set for life, but how much do you potentially leave on the table, weighed against the risk of injury.

I wonder if he'd go for something like a 3 year, $12 million dollar deal. Gives him money now and lets him hit free agency at 28. Could be a win-win.
    I would love to see a 5 for 20 kind of deal. I think he would go for something like that. 20 million sets him for life even after taxes. Guaranteed money, with a possibility of injury and not playing past that contract are both thoughts that would have to go through his head.
    Trolls are people too.