Thread: Taylor named AFC defensive player of the week

Legend

User Info Menu

Taylor named AFC defensive player of the week

Didn't see this one coming.......

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Taylor-named-AFC-defensive-player-of-the-week/ff4eedbe-129f-49a7-bc0d-4e93638f79a7[/URL]

Steelers cornerback [URL="http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/ike-taylor/a3a15eb8-af01-4ce7-8607-07a5e88db59f/"]Ike Taylor[/URL] was recognized for his performance versus the New York Giants in Week 9 by being named AFC Defensive Player of the Week.

This marks the second time Taylor has been named AFC Defensive Player of the Week and first since his dominating performance against the Seattle Seahawks in Week 5 of the 2007 season.

Taylor picked off his first pass of the season and the 14th of his career as he stepped in front of QB Eli Manning’s pass in the first quarter. Taylor also tied a season high with five tackles and added a pass breakup. He was instrumental in holding Manning to season lows in both completions (10) and passing yards (125).

Taylor also played in his 131st consecutive game, extending his NFL-best streak of consecutive games played at cornerback.

Legend

User Info Menu

Guess it wasn't a great week for defensive players in the AFC...

Don't get me wrong, Ike played well, but defensive player of the week?

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought Keenan Lewis had a better game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I thought Keenan Lewis had a better game.
    I agree. I also think Timmons played better than Ike.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought several of the NYG DLine had a better game than any Steeler even thought they lost.

Legend

User Info Menu

Goes to show that this is a stat driven league. We may have seen Timmons and Lewis play better, but Ike picked off a poorly thrown ball and he gets the nod.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers: CB Ike Taylor's player of the week honor nod to Pittsburgh defense

By Chris Adamski | CBSSports.com

[url]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20872631/steelers-cb-ike-taylors-player-of-the-week-honor-nod-to-pittsburgh-defense[/url]

November 7, 2012 8:12 pm ET

CB Ike Taylor, who intercepted Eli Manning in Pittsburgh's win over the Giants, is a key member of a Steelers' defense that has risen to the top of the league rankings and answered critics who said they were too old. (US Presswire)
    Old. Slow. It's over.

Former Steelers antagonist and current NFL TV analyst Warren Sapp uttered those words about Pittsburgh's defense after a season-opening loss last year.

Pittsburgh promptly led the NFL in yards allowed while going 12-4.

Then, when the Steelers fell to 2-3 last month with a 26-23 loss to the lowly Tennessee Titans, Sapp tweeted similar sentiments about the Steeler defense.

He likely doesn't share those opinions now.

After shutting down QB Eli Manning and the New York Giants on Sunday, the Steelers moved to the top of the league rankings for total defense and passing defense.

As something of a token for that accomplishment, CB Ike Taylor was named AFC defensive player of the week Wednesday. Taylor had an interception, five tackles and added a pass breakup. Mostly, though, Taylor was just the headliner for a secondary that held Manning to season lows in completions (10) and passing yards (125).

"Everybody's pretty much found themselves," Taylor said after extolling the work of CB Keenan Lewis, S Will Allen, S Ryan Clark, CB Cortez Allen and others. "Yeah, we had a slow start -- but we're just trying to build right now."

Taylor's interception was the 14th of his career -- by his own admission, he has notoriously bad hands -- and it was the fourth this season for the Steelers. An opportunity to improve on that total comes Monday night with the Kansas City Chiefs in town. The Chiefs have thrown an NFL-worst 14 interceptions.

"We've just got to start making those interceptions when we have the opportunities," Lewis said. "We're doing good things; we just need to get our offense the ball in some easy situations so they can make plays."

That's something opponents aren't doing on the Steelers. Pittsburgh has allowed just two pass plays of 40-plus yards this season (only the New York Jets have allowed less) and just 15 passing plays of 20 or more yards (tied with Detroit for the least in the league).

The run defense has been stout, too -- but in today's pass-happy NFL, effectively stopping the pass has been at the forefront of a defensive effort that has allowed only 49 points during this three-game winning streak (taking away the defensive touchdown off a fumble recovery that was somehow held up by replay review Sunday in New Jersey, the Pittsburgh defense is permitting only 14 points per game the last three weeks).

The player of the week honor for Taylor is just a manifestation of that total defensive effort.

"We're excited any time one of our guys gets that award," DE Brett Keisel said. "That means you're playing well. Usually, they're not going to give that to a team that lost the game, so that means we're winning, and Ike's playing tough and the defense is playing tough

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Stats are obviously overrated. K. Lewis was this team's MVP against the Giants. WTF?