Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephan A, are you this blind?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Stephan A, are you this blind?

Stephen A Smith, on ESPN's First Take, always says he grew up a Steelers' fan. Not only that, but his entire career is to observe and comment on sports, including the NFL.

So knowing all this, on this morning's show, he says.....

"The Steeler defense is a bend but don't break defense. They give up yards but not much scoring..."

It's one thing to not be 100% accurate; it's quite another to state the 100% opposite of the truth, especially when you claim to be a lifelong fan AND be paid to make observations in your field.

What is wrong with that guy?

Pgh is EXACTLY NOT a bend but don't break defense. They were #1 (FIRST PLACE) in NOT giving up yards, but NOT #1 in giving up points (I think they were #6).

Stephen A, give up your Steeler fan card AND your professional sports analyst card.

Maybe he was trying to say they are a decent D but not a great D....but that's not what he said.

They were also going on and on about how the Pgh D doesn't intimidate anyone any more. And losing the only guy who can still do that (Harrison) would be a further blow towards that direction. They might be right about that. But that being said, I don't know if ANY D in the NFL these days intimidates anyone.

The way they are calling the penalties, the days of ANY D being intimidating may be over. What D is feared these days? I think SF and Seattle are the two Ds that are the closest to intimidating. But Pgh still had a very good D, they just don't make any splash plays, but they were still nothing to mock and I don't think teams playing against them thought their D was a laughing matter.

In 2013? Don't know. They could either drop several notches or be better. We just don't know yet. If Troy and Harrison come back healthy for the whole year, they could be much better than last year. Injuries will definitely be part of the full story.

Backup

User Info Menu

He's right. They don't force turnovers, they don't make big plays anymore, and their ranking is inflated by the offense keeping them standing on the sidelines.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    He's right. They don't force turnovers, they don't make big plays anymore, and their ranking is inflated by the offense keeping them standing on the sidelines.
    How can he "be right" when that's not what he said? He said, "They are a bend but don't break defense." That is the opposite of the truth. How can that be the case when you are #1 at not giving up yards? That is the definition of the OPPOSITE of bend but don't break. And the offense "kept them standing on the sidelines?" That would mean they kept the ball for long drives making many first downs. Do you think that is an accurate description of the offense last year? Pgh was 21st in offensive yardage last year. How does that resemble a team which "keeps the D on the sidelines?"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

wrong again junior.

the steelers were 2nd in the league behind houston in TOP.

but you can keep making a fool of yourself. Its what you do.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    wrong again junior.

the steelers were 2nd in the league behind houston in TOP.

but you can keep making a fool of yourself. Its what you do.
    How many of your original teeth to you still have in your stink hole? Pgh was 21st in offensive yards. How many times did they go three and out, especially the 2nd half of the season? Speaking of appearing the fool: You don't even grasp the proper use of the English language. Is it your second language? I hope so. If not, I guess you can manage the bumper of a garbage truck or dig ditches.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

just admit you made another dumb statement.

2nd in the league in time of possession. You do understand what that means, right?

you make me laugh.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well Stephen Smith is a toolbag...almost as bad as Bayless. He is more interested in the volume of his words than the content. That said, Bayless totally baited Richard Sherman yesterday on First Take. Sherman came off looking like an unintelligent azz. But how EPSN thinks putting those two on the air together twice a day is a good idea is beyond me.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    Well Stephen Smith is a toolbag...almost as bad as Bayless. He is more interested in the volume of his words than the content. That said, Bayless totally baited Richard Sherman yesterday on First Take. Sherman came off looking like an unintelligent azz. But how EPSN thinks putting those two on the air together twice a day is a good idea is beyond me.
    You are right in many ways - I hate when Smith starts speaking in a low volume, knowing he will end up screaming by the end of his bit. When he speaks like he is a preacher is pretty lame. But I have to admit: That show - originally called "Cold Pizza" - never got its legs until they stumbled across the debate format with Skip. Prior to that, no matter what they tried, they had to keep re-inventing the show because it got zero viewer-ship. The original crew, with Jay Crawford and Dana Jacobson, was beyond tacky and boring. At least with the current line up, it is sometimes a little interesting. Jay and Dana are just talking heads with no creativity. I did enjoy the massive Tebow wars with Stephen and Skip. Plus, the Lebron James debates were good too. Skip was actually right on that. But Stephen claiming the Steelers are a "bend but not break defense" is just ridiculously off the mark. How can the D that gives up the least yards be "bend but not break?" That is the direct opposite of a D that gives up the LEAST yards in the NFL. That statement was absurd.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    That would mean they kept the ball for long drives making many first downs. Do you think that is an accurate description of the offense last year? Pgh was 21st in offensive yardage last year. How does that resemble a team which "keeps the D on the sidelines?"
    Simple when you don't force turnovers and you don't give your offense short fields when they do score it takes time off the clock.

#7 was also the best 3rd down passer in football prior to his injury.

You do know what that means? Right?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Simple when you don't force turnovers and you don't give your offense short fields when they do score it takes time off the clock.

#7 was also the best 3rd down passer in football prior to his injury.

You do know what that means? Right?
    Let's not pretend they don't rush the ball a lot and do those stupid WR bubble routes that are just like a rushing play. You don't think that had a lot to do with TOP? Now, realize I said "rush the ball a lot" - not "rush the ball well." With rushing the ball and bubble screens, the clock keeps ticking, even if you aren't moving it very far or very much. You mentioned scoring; did you know where Pgh rated in scoring? 22nd. That is not even near the middle of the pack. In other words, their offense pretty much sucked.