Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts on our # 1 Pick 2013 Draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If the Steelers let Colon and Foster leave the projected starter is Beachum @LG. Now Legursky if signed could play that position too but he's better suited to back up Pouncey at center.

The reamaining back up is John Malecki and if you want to include him, Justin Cheadle> FUTURE RESERVES

Rookie

User Info Menu

I not sure yet who we should pick yet but we need a definite Playmaker in round 1 and 2 and a Playmaker should not be a OL or DL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    You say this every year. Don't use premium picks on players who won't be allowed to start for one to two years. If we followed your strategy, we would never have a premium pick on defense ever again.
    Or you could adjust your defensive philosophy to move to a more simplified defense that allows young players to step in an contribute their first year. Other teams around the league seem to be able to do this with regularity and success.

Has the supposed complexity that our defense has really made a difference the past couple of season. The situation you get is Keenan Lewis who starts one season and is due a big paycheck to keep him.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Or you could adjust your defensive philosophy to move to a more simplified defense that allows young players to step in an contribute their first year. Other teams around the league seem to be able to do this with regularity and success.

Has the supposed complexity that our defense has really made a difference the past couple of season. The situation you get is Keenan Lewis who starts one season and is due a big paycheck to keep him.
    Keenan Lewis didn't play early because he stunk. It had nothing to do with the defense.

Cortez Allen played a lot in his first 2 years because he adapted more quickly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers will draft Defense in the 1st.

It's the D's turn.

What position? Where have they not prepared for the future?

ILB- Spence
    OLB- Worilds
    NT- Ta'amu? Fangupo? McLendon?
    DE- Heyward, Hood
    CB- Allen, Brown
    FS- Golden? Cromartie-Brown?
    SS- See Above.

NT or Safety in the 1st, most likely.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Let me put it this way, even if we drafted a punter in the first I would be happy if..........WE WIN THE SB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Keenan Lewis didn't play early because he stunk. It had nothing to do with the defense.

Cortez Allen played a lot in his first 2 years because he adapted more quickly.
    Bingo! Woodly and Timmons contributed as rooks. As did Polamalu. Often, rooks don't start with this team because, after all, the defense is pretty dang good.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Let me put it this way, even if we drafted a punter in the first I would be happy if..........WE WIN THE SB
    If a punter gets drafted anywhere before the 7th round- angry mobs will converge on Steelers HQ baying for blood.

Even if they win the SB.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

just no 1st rounders on the defensive side of the ball this year. we were #1 despite missing troy and deebo most of the year and woodley not perfroming up to his stabdards.

we have 2 recent high picks in heyward and wordlis that still cant get off the bench and going back to hood and timmons, they also took 2 years to start.

we need an immediate impact and (as recent history shows) it wont come from a pick on the defense.

WR biggest need
    RB right behind it
    2nd TE (we use the set enough to warrent one and he can groom under heath for a few years

Ol is actually 1 position that i think we have enough guys to get the job them. just have to let them play. maybe a late rounder to fill in at OG.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    just no 1st rounders on the defensive side of the ball this year. we were #1 despite missing troy and deebo most of the year and woodley not perfroming up to his stabdards.

we have 2 recent high picks in heyward and wordlis that still cant get off the bench and going back to hood and timmons, they also took 2 years to start.

we need an immediate impact and (as recent history shows) it wont come from a pick on the defense.

WR biggest need
    RB right behind it
    2nd TE (we use the set enough to warrent one and he can groom under heath for a few years

Ol is actually 1 position that i think we have enough guys to get the job them. just have to let them play. maybe a late rounder to fill in at OG.
    Need & Value are 2 different things, though. The WR class is strong- very strong- right through the first 3 rounds. No need to grab one at #17, as the drop-off in talent to the guys mid-2nd round is not very steep. There is no RB of value to be picked at #17... the value comes more in the late 2nd to mid 3rd range. Warmack might be good value at #17, if he's there.

The value will be on Defense. The drop-off from the highest rated NT's to the second tier is pretty steep, as is the drop-off from the OLB's. Value can still be had beyond Rd 1 at ILB & CB, but Safety could be the slippery fish- very difficult to judge where the run on Safeties will come. If the Steelers want one (they really should), they might be best served 'overdrafting' a Matt Elam at #17 instead of running the risk of missing Eric Reid with their 2nd pick... if that makes sense..

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE