Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Fire Offensive Line Coach Jack Bicknell

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Why the Steelers decided to fire OL coach Jack Bickknell Jr.

Gerry Dulac

The Steelers’ decision to fire offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. after just one season might come as a surprise because of the steady improvement of the offensive line in the second half of the year.

However, the move is not surprising because Bicknell’s role slowly diminished after the Steelers had problems protecting Ben Roethlisberger and running the football in the first half of the season.

In fact, for most of the second half of the season, offensive assistant Shaun Sarrett was doing a lot of the instruction and daily handling of the offensive line, according to sources – duties normally performed by the offensive line coach.

What’s more, it did not help Bicknell’s cause that the outside zone blocking schemes that were to be a large part of the team’s revamped running scheme were non-existent once the regular season began.

Curiously, the offensive line improved as the season wore on.

After allowing 36 sacks in the first nine games, the Steelers allowed just seven in the final seven games. And the running game that averaged just 3.4 yards in the first 11 games averaged 4.1 yards in the final five games.

But the Steelers apparently believed that Bicknell was not the reason for the improvement.

[URL]http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...s/201401030006[/URL]
    This explanation makes a lot of sense. Thanks for posting.

I thought the line greatly improved in the second half. No huddle or not, 6 sacks allowed in 6 games is impressive.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would assume Shaun Sarrett to be the front-runner. Good luck to him.

Legend

User Info Menu

wasn't Bicknell like 90 yrs old?.... that's the problem.... he was too old and couldn't handle the demands of coaching in the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    wasn't Bicknell like 90 yrs old?.... that's the problem.... he was too old and couldn't handle the demands of coaching in the NFL.
    He is 26 years younger than DL so he is a Pup.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    You're thinking of his dad Jack Bicknell Sr. who coached Boston College in the 80's.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

So Haley can stay but the lower tier coaches are fired? Wow, this is pathetic.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Töm87 View Post
    At this point, you are probably the only fan left wanting Haley fired.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Töm87 View Post
    I didnt see anything this year that screamed fire Haley.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I didnt see anything this year that screamed fire Haley.
    Not many did once Ben started doing what Haley had been preaching. Ben had probably one of the best seasons of his career. Antonio Brown probably had the best season ever by a Steelers WR. Laveon Bell had probably the best season ever by a Steelers rookie RB. All behind a poor to mediocre Off Line and Heath Miller missing games and playing at 80% for half the season.

But by all means we should fire the Off Coord.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Not many did once Ben started doing what Haley had been preaching. Ben had probably one of the best seasons of his career. Antonio Brown probably had the best season ever by a Steelers WR. Laveon Bell had probably the best season ever by a Steelers rookie RB. All behind a poor to mediocre Off Line and Heath Miller missing games and playing at 80% for half the season.

But by all means we should fire the Off Coord.
    Ovi I agree with every thing you say on that post! But why did it take so long for Ben/Haley to merge the no huddle and quick passing game. That's when it all started working well.