Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ramon Foster Signs His Tender

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    guard may be easier to upgrade, but tackle is the more important position and our tackles are far from sure things. Gilbert struggled mightily against MArio Williams and Robert Mathis. I believe he may have a long season at LT facing elite talent every week. I like Gilbert and believe he can develop, but (at best) he is only a decent athlete and technician for the position. Colon hasn't been able to stay healthy and J Scott had an awful start to last season at LT. It will be hard to find a decent tackle after pick 50 or so. If we want a tackle that can help this season or next, we will likely need to draft him early.
    Of course, Williams and Mathis are two of the elite pass rushers in today's NFL.

Mathis only started 1 game in his first 3 seasons combined, but still had 3.5, 10.5, and 11.5 sacks as a part-time situational player. Then, once he became a starter, he had 9.5, 7, 11.5, 9.5, 11, and 9.5 sacks in his next 6 seasons in the league (that's 83.5 sacks in 9 NFL seasons).

Williams had 4.5, 14, 12, 9, and 8.5 sacks in his first 5 seasons in the league, then had 5 sacks in his first 5 games last season before going in injured reserve (that's 53 sacks in 6 NFL seasons).

Those guys give everyone fits, not just Gilbert. If Gilbert is our LT next year, he will face elite pass rushers more often than at right tackle, but aren't many DE's in this league who are better than Mathis and Williams.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Pouncey! Damn iPad and its autocorrect!

Man I get tired of this error "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters." O.K. I should have enough characters now

Oh hey a new error "You have included a total of 26 images and/or videos in your message. The maximum number that you may include is 25. Please correct the problem and then continue again"

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Of course, Williams and Mathis are two of the elite pass rushers in today's NFL.

Mathis only started 1 game in his first 3 seasons combined, but still had 3.5, 10.5, and 11.5 sacks as a part-time situational player. Then, once he became a starter, he had 9.5, 7, 11.5, 9.5, 11, and 9.5 sacks in his next 6 seasons in the league (that's 83.5 sacks in 9 NFL seasons).

Williams had 4.5, 14, 12, 9, and 8.5 sacks in his first 5 seasons in the league, then had 5 sacks in his first 5 games last season before going in injured reserve (that's 53 sacks in 6 NFL seasons).

Those guys give everyone fits, not just Gilbert. If Gilbert is our LT next year, he will face elite pass rushers more often than at right tackle, but aren't many DE's in this league who are better than Mathis and Williams.
    Mario Williams and Robert Mathis are great pass rushers. Here are some other pass rushers and their sack totals from last season...

DeMarcus Ware 19.5 sacks
    Jason Babin 18.0 or Trent Cole 11.0 sacks
    Jason Pierre-Paul 16.5 or Osi Umenyiora 9 sacks (and Usi only played in 7 games)
    Terrell Suggs 14.0 sacks
    Tamba Hali 12.0 sacks
    Antwan Barnes 11.0 sacks
    Jabaal Sheard 8.5 sacks
    Kamerion Wimbley 7.0 sacks
    Von Miller Denver 11.5 sacks
    Brian Orakpo 9.0 sacks

These are pass rushers the Steelers will face next season (some of them twice).

I've been a Marcus Gilbert supporter on this board since I saw him do some very nice things against Trent Cole in the preseason last year. I loved his effort (especially in the run game) in several regular season contests. But, the fact remains that he generally struggled with good pass rushers. Most weeks next season he will face strong pass rushers. I'm not panicked, but along with Colon's injury history, it does leave quite a large question mark at OT.
    Last edited by steelblood; 04-09-2012 at 01:27 AM.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Moving pounced to guard would have been like leaving Dawson at guard.. Or moving him back. There's a reason you have a guy like pounced at center.
    In this era of the NFL? Guard play is VITAL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    guard may be easier to upgrade, but tackle is the more important position and our tackles are far from sure things. Gilbert struggled mightily against MArio Williams and Robert Mathis. I believe he may have a long season at LT facing elite talent every week. I like Gilbert and believe he can develop, but (at best) he is only a decent athlete and technician for the position. Colon hasn't been able to stay healthy and J Scott had an awful start to last season at LT. It will be hard to find a decent tackle after pick 50 or so. If we want a tackle that can help this season or next, we will likely need to draft him early.
    Gilbert was a rook last year with no introductory TC thanks to the labor situation. This summer, with a full schedule of OTAs and a full TC, he should improve nicely. Honestly, it was a wonder that any rooks got much playing time last season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Gilbert was a rook last year with no introductory TC thanks to the labor situation. This summer, with a full schedule of OTAs and a full TC, he should improve nicely. Honestly, it was a wonder that any rooks got much playing time last season.
    That should held help. But, LT is often quite difficult and he won't have Heath to help him as much. I believe he can do it (though it likely will be a rough start to the season). But with Jon Scott as the backup plan for both Gilbert and the fragile Willie Colon, it does not inspire confidence.

The Steelers sure seem to be putting some effort into looking at tackles. They may even be toying with the idea of taking Mike Adams (who doesn't even seem like a Steeler type).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Neither Foster or the gursky should be starting on this OL barring injury.

As for Zeitler, IMO he would start day 1.
    It amazes me how there are so many defenders of our Guards. Did anyone watch our terrible short yardage performance last year? Absolutely no push up the middle and it isn't because of no FB. It is because our Guards consistently get beat one on one whether it be Kemo, Legursky or Foster.

We also get pressure up the middle in the passing game because our Guards can't sustain their blocks.

We have to improve at both Guard positions or we won't be any better under Haley than we were under Arians. Except for Center we could be better at every position on the OL but Guard needs immediate improvement soonest.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers O-Line is atrocious. No one in NFL wants Steelers O-linemen.

Apart from OG, I am also worried about OT position. Gilbert is an unknown at LT. I like him at RT. Colon has not played for 2 years. And backup OT is J Scott.Max Starks is injured and most likely won't be ready to play next year.

Steelers have to draft O-line early in the draft since they are not signing any FA.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I haven't seen anyone saying we can't improve at OG, but at what cost? Last year we were told that drafting a guard in the 1st round was foolish, and now this year, its a great idea.

personally I believe the bigger issue is at LG and would love brooks for that spot and would spend our 2nd to get him. I have been on record that I believe Foster is fine at RG. Other places and things I read say the same, but here he has a few very vocal critics. Could Foster be upgraded? Sure he could, but at what cost again? OG is not the only hole on this team. Some seem to want probowlers and high draft picks at every position and that is just not possible in the salary cap NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post

Man I get tired of this error "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters." O.K. I should have enough characters now

Oh hey a new error "You have included a total of 26 images and/or videos in your message. The maximum number that you may include is 25. Please correct the problem and then continue again"
    There you go again, forging new frontiers in the PS world.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]