Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers notebook: Harrison will play fewer snaps this season

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers notebook: Harrison will play fewer snaps this season

Steelers notebook: Harrison will play fewer snaps this season

By Ralph N. Paulk
    Saturday, May 2, 2015

Linebacker coach Joey Porter said Saturday that veteran linebacker James Harrison can expect to play only about 25 snaps per game this season.

It's a surprising number, considering the 36-year-old linebacker could start at right outside linebacker.

“He knows where he is,” Porter said shortly after the Steelers drafted Miami (Fla.) outside linebacker Anthony Chickillo on the final day of the NFL Draft. “I told him already, the James Harrison (of before) is over.

“He's going to play his role, and his role is going to be effective. He knows what we're asking out of him, and he's going to be ready to answer the bell.”

Harrison, who turns 37 on Monday, had 432 snaps in 11 games last season. He had 45 tackles and 5½ sacks, which was third best behind Jason Worilds and Cam Heyward.

“Harrison is going to be a better player for us if I keep his snap count down to 25,” Porter said. “I'll get the best James Harrison I can out of him instead of trying to make him play like he was — 25–60 snaps a game.”

Porter said he told Harrison he wasn't going to play an entire game anymore. Harrison, who signed a two-year, $2.75 million deal in March, said his only demand was that Porter and defensive coordinator Keith Butler let him know his potential snap count before game time.

“If you go into games not knowing your situation, then you run into situations,” Porter said. “I just tell him exactly what it is.”

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8224811-74/porter-harrison-steelers#ixzz3Z6aZ2YZp[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Jarvis Jones gets buried on every pass rush and Arthur Moats has to hold down the opposite side while Dupree matures ..... i'm certain Harrison will be in for more than 25 snaps a game.

It will be nice if he's only needed 25 snaps a game (or more in case of injury). But there is too much uncertainty at this point .... unless J.P. has a new outlook on J.J. since the end of last season.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

JP probably has the same outlook on JJ that he had before JJ got hurt...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    One thought I had was maybe this is a backhand way of firing JH up to have a monster year, but the more I think of it JH is pretty self motivated already. Just having him around as an example for the young guys I think is a plus. And limited snaps should keep him relatively fresh for the super bowl run.

The defense may takes some lumps early but I think the young guys will start to come into their own by the end of the season. Barring injuries to key guys (like Bell last season) i think next season could end with Lombardi #7.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    One thought I had was maybe this is a backhand way of firing JH up to have a monster year, but the more I think of it JH is pretty self motivated already. Just having him around as an example for the young guys I think is a plus.
    Vince Williams, left, posted this on his Twitter feed this week. It's a photo of himself, Jarvis Jones, Sean Spence, Harrison and Ryan Shazier in Arizona, where they are working out as a group.

It's good that the young linebackers are working out with Harrison, whose workouts are legendary. That can only help them in the long run.

[URL]http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com.ar/2015/03/harrison-still-deciding-between.html[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Exactly...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

and what is that?? That he has skinny arms??

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    and what is that?? That he has skinny arms??
    Maybe. You'd have to ask JP. But, I would imagine that his opinion, unlike that of many posters here, is not that JJ is a bust simply because he was injured last season and played through that injury, though not very well. I would
    imagine that JP would look at JJ's 4 game stretch before his injury and see promise, because from his start against Cleveland in week 17 of 2013 to 2014 weeks 1 and 2 as well as week 3 before his early exit, he looked promising. If his injury is fully healed and he can recapture that level of play, I would imagine that JP would be excited. But, I'm not him, so I can't say for sure.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe. You'd have to ask JP. But, I would imagine that his opinion, unlike that of many posters here, is not that JJ is a bust simply because he was injured last season and played through that injury, though not very well. I would
    imagine that JP would look at JJ's 4 game stretch before his injury and see promise, because from his start against Cleveland in week 17 of 2013 to 2014 weeks 1 and 2 as well as week 3 before his early exit, he looked promising. If his injury is fully healed and he can recapture that level of play, I would imagine that JP would be excited. But, I'm not him, so I can't say for sure.
    Are you sure you're not J.P.??? I'm leaning towards you're NOT J.P. b/c something tells me he'd type in ALL CAPS

I'd agree with the above assessment, while i'm not as hopeful as some I have not given up on him.

I have also not given up on the notion that he could become a "late bloomer" ... as in someone who GROWS into a player around his 4th or 5th year as he adds size and strength.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I'm hoping so as well. You can't be that good in the SEC at OLB and not have anything translate to the same
    position on the NFL.