Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Chadman's Draft Thread

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life View Post

As for the TE concern...I agree with Pap that choosing one in the 1st isn't the way to go. C.J. Fiedorowicz (Iowa) would be a better fit from a scheme standpoint & will be available in the 3rd or later rounds.
    $$$$$
    As in my mock

Legend

User Info Menu

CJ is only the answer if you think Matt Spaeth is the type of starting TE you want after Heath. CJF is very much Matt Spaeth II.

Personally, I think we need more of a weapon at the position to help Heath and eventually step in as a replacement.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    When did a TE become such a huge need for offenses, because of Brady and the Pats or Brees and the Saints? I just don't see why all of a sudden you need a big WR, label him a TE and then split him out or put him in the slot, etc. The Steelers main needs, IMO, are a play making WR, a play making ILB or a play making CB, guys that can actually change a game or force the other team to account for them. I just don't see the Steelers targeting a TE 9-10 times a game, Heath has been a great TE, but Ben looks to him only in certain situations and I don't see that changing while Ben is the quarterback.

A TE in the first would be a nice pick, but in all likelihood not one where the player has an impact on the game. I think the Steelers can get their type of TE in the later rounds, a solid blocker, good hands and a chain mover.

Pappy
    Everyone wants to be the Pats

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Everyone wants to be the Pats*
    you forgot the asterisk *, fixed it for you...

Legend

User Info Menu

Everyone wants to be the Pats
    That may be, but the Gronkowski type skilled TEs don't grow on trees and even if they did, the Steelers just don't look to the TE often enough as the #1 or even the #2 option to spend a premium pick on the position with Heath still in the fold. The Steeler offense needs one good TE and another on occasion, they aren't the Pats and, in all likelihood, don't want to be the Pats.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    That may be, but the Gronkowski type skilled TEs don't grow on trees and even if they did, the Steelers just don't look to the TE often enough as the #1 or even the #2 option to spend a premium pick on the position with Heath still in the fold. The Steeler offense needs one good TE and another on occasion, they aren't the Pats and, in all likelihood, don't want to be the Pats.

Pappy
    No doubt.. I agree 100%. Not sure why everyone keeps yapping about a 2nd TE when we have a few on the roster. Sure Spaeth isn't a big weapon in the receiving game but I think that is exactly what we want from our 2nd TE. Block first, block 2nd and catch a pass in the flat every 4th or 5th game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    CJ is only the answer if you think Matt Spaeth is the type of starting TE you want after Heath. CJF is very much Matt Spaeth II.

Personally, I think we need more of a weapon at the position to help Heath and eventually step in as a replacement.
    It's not about what WE want tho... Miller still has 2 or 3 years left and I doubt we draft his replacement until his last year.

Rookie

User Info Menu

No doubt.. I agree 100%. Not sure why everyone keeps yapping about a 2nd TE when we have a few on the roster. Sure Spaeth isn't a big weapon in the receiving game but I think that is exactly what we want from our 2nd TE. Block first, block 2nd and catch a pass in the flat every 4th or 5th game.
    But, if TE is the BPA, you should take him of you can't trade down...if Ebron is the best value, then you change your offense to take advantage of the receiving threat that he offers...split him out wide or in the slot while he develops as a blocker (and he is, at the least, a willing blocker) and let him become the #1 TE after Heath retires...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    But, if TE is the BPA, you should take him of you can't trade down...if Ebron is the best value, then you change your offense to take advantage of the receiving threat that he offers...split him out wide or in the slot while he develops as a blocker (and he is, at the least, a willing blocker) and let him become the #1 TE after Heath retires...
    I agree if he were the BPA. I don't think he will be. Ebron drops a ton of passes and isn't a great blocker. But he worked out great at the combine so some team will fall in love with his athletic ability and take him high.

Starter

User Info Menu

Amazing how much intelligence is involved in the career of a Tight End (or any position for that matter). Rob Gronkowski is an incredible physical talent. He's big, fast, great hands, fearless...all you'd want in a player. He's also a bit of an idiot who plays with wild abandon. He's also constantly injured. Some is just bad luck, sure, but not all. Gronk seeks contact on the field.

Look at Tony Gonzalez. Probably the greatest TE the game has ever seen. One of the reasons he's played for so long and had such a great career is that he's consciously tried to avoid the big hits as much as possible. This might mean going to the ground a yard early, or getting out of bounds a yard early. Yet in the NFL, people often look at this as being soft or not a man. It's as they say, a "business decision."

Who would you rather have over the course of his career? A guy who avoids big hits or a guy that seeks them out? I know my answer. Give me a smart player like TG every day.