Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Defense during Ben's suspension...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Our Defense during Ben's suspension...

...was amazing. Just looked it up and in those 4 games we were giving up only 62.3 rushing yards per game and also leading in takeaways and total points allowed.

Haven't seen them that dominating since. So what were we doing different? Was it just the thinking that the defense needed to win games for us without Ben in there?

Legend

User Info Menu

Harrison in his Prime...not now!

Troy in his Prime...not now!

Farrior still solid player...now gone!

Hampton still on top of his game...not now!

Aaron Smith still solid...now gone!

Games not in Denver so Ryan Clark actually plays!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Harrison in his Prime...not now!

Troy in his Prime...not now!

Farrior still solid player...now gone!

Hampton still on top of his game...not now!

Aaron Smith still solid...now gone!

Games not in Denver so Ryan Clark actually plays!
    Not buying that. The defense looked bad losing against the Saints & Pats while barely beating the Dolphins, Bengals & Bills - all during the remaining regular season. Then we almost gave up a huge lead against the Jets in the AFCCG and do I even have to mention the SB???

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    Not buying that. The defense looked bad losing against the Saints & Pats while barely beating the Dolphins, Bengals & Bills - all during the remaining regular season. Then we almost gave up a huge lead against the Jets in the AFCCG and do I even have to mention the SB???
    More times the not the opposition impacts games more then fans like to recognize. It's the nature of the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    If you don't buy less talent then what do you attribute it to? Not trying? Not caring? Players talents being misused?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If you don't buy less talent then what do you attribute it to? Not trying? Not caring? Players talents being misused?
    So you're saying that the talent level of the defense dropped off after week 4? Ok.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    More times the not the opposition impacts games more then fans like to recognize. It's the nature of the game.

I don't disagree with your statement. But the teams we played in those first 4 games weren't exactly pushovers.

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/490903-big-ben-returns-pittsburgh-steelers-best-team-in-nfl[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Our Dline is still learning the tricks of the trade. To expect them to play as well as ASmith, Hampton and Keisel in their prime is ludicrous. Will they get there, be better or worse? I'm not sure at this age.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Our Dline is still learning the tricks of the trade. To expect them to play as well as ASmith, Hampton and Keisel in their prime is ludicrous. Will they get there, be better or worse? I'm not sure at this age.
    I think you guys are missing my point. I'm not comparing that D to this year's D. Never said that. If you look at those first 4 games compared to the rest of THAT year, we weren't nearly as good for the remainder of the year, into the playoffs and in the SB. But yes, I did say that we haven't looked as good since then. My point in starting the thread was to see if you guys were aware of anything we did in those first 4 games that made us so dominating. And if so, why don't we do that again??

Personally, I think it was 1976-esque where the defense felt the pressure of carrying the team -and they played that way. Wish we could get that back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Our D new they had to win the first 4 games.. I think they slacked off a little once Ben returned. We were all saying our team would be unstoppable once Ben returned and I think some of the players thought the same thing.

We were also much more conservative in play calling which led to less sacks and less 3rd and longs.