Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Appreciate the HOF QB we have people

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    I'm forever appreciative after the dark days of Stoudt, Malone, Woodley, Bono, Blackledge, Campbell, Brister, Tomczak, Miller, Graham, O'Donnell, Kordell, and Maddox.

(I'm sure I'm forgetting others)
    wow. good memory. I remember all of those!

O'Donnell isn't in the same category as those others. Even though he choked in the SB, they don't make it there or to two AFC championships without him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I was just having some fun. He'll be a first ballot.

Pappy
    No he won't. Anti-Steeler bias and his off the field problems will pre empt the first ballot.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I'm not gonna sit here and call him 'bonehead Ben', and he has never been a QB that is going to put the team on his back. He has always been a QB that needs play action to have the O work. He would not fit in a precision offense.
    Precision offense? See 2009. Ben threw up some big numbers in a big time precision offense.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    But as long as everyone's fantasy football team wins, who cares!
    This is exactly why I don't play fantasy football. I hate the way it's distorted people's views of what makes a QB (or any player) great. And I do wonder if the popularity of fantasy football is behind some of the pro-passing game rules that have been made in recent years.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

No he won't. Anti-Steeler bias and his off the field problems will pre empt the first ballot.
    By the time he's done his body of work won't leave the voters a choice in my opinion. His off field indiscretions will be distant memories in the same fashion that Ray Lewis' involvement in the Georgia murders have faded. I also believe the Steelers will get one more super Bowl prior to Ben retiring and that will give him three and really seal the deal. There's a lot of years left in his career for fans to enjoy, I hope they do.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am worried his accomplishments ARE on the decline and the super bowls will soon become a distant memory.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't know why people get so upset when it is pointed out that Ben has deficiencies. Every QB has them. That includes Montana, Brady, Peyton, Brees, Bart Star, Bradshaw, etc. They all have their own style and way of getting things done. What sets them apart is their teams generally win when these guys are the QB.

Football is a team game and just because you lose doesn't make it the fault of the QB. You look at last year's SB and if Welker hangs on to a very catchable pass the Patriots win. If our defense doesn't play great against a juggernaut Indy offense back in 2005 we don't win the SB that year. That's not to say Ben played bad. He didn't ... he played great but he needed help. It takes talent, team work and some luck to win the SB. All of the QBs I mentioned have talent in abundance. They don't always have the team or the luck to win it all.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Precision offense? See 2009. Ben threw up some big numbers in a big time precision offense.
    No, see New England for a precision offense....whatever we ran was not that. When you run basically no timing patterns other then a stay pattern, that is not a precision offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    By the time he's done his body of work won't leave the voters a choice in my opinion. His off field indiscretions will be distant memories in the same fashion that Ray Lewis' involvement in the Georgia murders have faded. I also believe the Steelers will get one more super Bowl prior to Ben retiring and that will give him three and really seal the deal. There's a lot of years left in his career for fans to enjoy, I hope they do.

Pappy
    The first half of his career Ben certainly was on a tear. But if things don't change for the better, the second half of his career may be spent trying to convince voters of a HOF career rather than giving them a mandate.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Could be worse, you could have been watching Peyton choke in the playoffs his whole career.
    How does winning a Super Bowl equate to choking?