Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Perspective On Our Defensive Line

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    And that's why guys like Ovi call for the 4-3 incessantly...

If you want your d-linemen to get after the QB, then you have to scheme to send them...

Yes, Aaron Smith had an 8 sack performance in a season...statistically, that was an outlier...more often than not, the DEs in this scheme get less than 5 sacks...

Remember this?:
    Thank you Slappy. The ability to replenish talent in the 3-4 is exactly why I support the 4-3.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    And that's why guys like Ovi call for the 4-3 incessantly...

If you want your d-linemen to get after the QB, then you have to scheme to send them...

Yes, Aaron Smith had an 8 sack performance in a season...statistically, that was an outlier...more often than not, the DEs in this scheme get less than 5 sacks...

Remember this?:
    KVO and Ray Seals were also guys that had 8+ sacks in a season and could push the pocket. On passing downs, Heyward does seem to have some ability to create pressure, but I haven't seen it from Ziggy Hood.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    KVO and Ray Seals were also guys that had 8+ sacks in a season and could push the pocket. On passing downs, Heyward does seem to have some ability to create pressure, but I haven't seen it from Ziggy Hood.
    Those high sack seasons are outliers for DEs playing in our scheme. They are once, maybe twice, a decade occurences.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The other thing is, and I've said this quite a bit before:

JJ Watt and Justin Smith play in one-gap 3-4 schemes...the Steelers and the Patriots use two-gap 3-4 schemes...

Who were great Patriots D-Linemen? Richard Seymour (#6 overall) and Vince Wilfork (#21 overall)...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Those high sack seasons are outliers for DEs playing in our scheme. They are once, maybe twice, a decade occurences.
    It's about more than sacks. It's about controlling the line and getting pressure. Regardless, the point is that talented guys in the Steelers scheme do get sacks. No, they aren't putting up the numbers of a JJ Watt, but nobody really is. Justin Smith has never put up more than 8 sacks in a season, and he is widely regarded as among the best lineman in football - a reputation that he earned not in a 4-3, but after moving to a 3-4.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    It's about more than sacks. It's about controlling the line and getting pressure. Regardless, the point is that talented guys in the Steelers scheme do get sacks. No, they aren't putting up the numbers of a JJ Watt, but nobody really is. Justin Smith has never put up more than 8 sacks in a season, and he is widely regarded as among the best lineman in football - a reputation that he earned not in a 4-3, but after moving to a 3-4.
    JJ Watt and Justin Smith are also allowed to go after the QB more in the way they run the 3-4 than our DEs. Not all 3-4 are the same. Some DLs are allowed to be more attack oriented than I think LeBeau has our guys playing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here is an interesting article on the comparison of the 4-3 vs the 3-4 on rushing the passer.

[URL="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1289011-showcasing-the-biggest-differences-in-the-4-3-and-3-4-pass-rush"]3-4 vs 4-3 comparison[/URL]
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When the Steelers were the only one or one of the few teams that did the 3-4 they had better pickings at nose tackles of need or linemen/linebackers of need at the time. So many teams now run the 3-4 we no longer have the resources that are needed. Everyone wants the giant nose tackle and the gifted linebackers that fit the scheme.
    Time to trade back to the 4-3 and many teams in my opinion now have a more difficult time adjusting to the 4-3.
    I know, as long as Lebeau is around the 3-4 will be around. Things go in cycles and I believe the cycle of the 3-4 will soon wear itself out do to lack of players to fill the position.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    When the Steelers were the only one or one of the few teams that did the 3-4 they had better pickings at nose tackles of need or linemen/linebackers of need at the time. So many teams now run the 3-4 we no longer have the resources that are needed. Everyone wants the giant nose tackle and the gifted linebackers that fit the scheme.
    Time to trade back to the 4-3 and many teams in my opinion now have a more difficult time adjusting to the 4-3.
    I know, as long as Lebeau is around the 3-4 will be around. Things go in cycles and I believe the cycle of the 3-4 will soon wear itself out do to lack of players to fill the position.
    Like I have been saying. Be the change leader not the change follower.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Like I have been saying. Be the change leader not the change follower.
    Moving from a 3-4 to a 4-3 is hardly leading change.

The DL/pass rush struggles have gone hand-in-hand with the decline of Casey Hampton. NT is the key. Get a guy in there that commands a double team on every snap, and somewhere along the line you'll have either a DE or LB that is one-on-one or better, uncovered. If Cam Heyward plays up to his physical skills, then he'll also draw double blocking. That opens up everything.

Steelers DL at their prime had Hampton taking up 2 blockers, Smith taking up 2 blockers & Keisel taking 1 OT. No wonder the LB's were so dominant.

NT is the key to the 3-4, always has been.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE