Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hines Ward will block his way into the Hall of Fame

Legend

User Info Menu

Hines Ward will block his way into the Hall of Fame

Hines Ward will block his way into the Hall of Fame
    By MJD | Shutdown Corner

Getty ImagesAs a wide receiver, Hines Ward was very good. As a blocker at the wide receiver position, Ward was the best and most dangerous in the history of the NFL. Figuring out how to balance those two things will be at the heart of the "Is Hines Ward a Hall of Famer?" debate five years from now. Let's get a jump on it.

More with Ward than most, the numbers are insufficient to make a judgment. If we're grading on statistics alone, Ward is probably a ticket buyer in Canton, not an enshrinee.

The contemporaries to whom Ward is most similar statistically (thanks to Pro Football Reference) are Derrick Mason, Keenan McCardell and Keyshawn Johnson. Fine players, but there's probably not a Hall of Famer in that bunch. There are two others with similar stats who do own pale yellow blazers ‒ Charley Taylor and Lance Alworth ‒ but it's fruitless to compare them to Ward, as the era was so different.

Which leaves a couple of other factors for Ward. What of the blocking? Is it a big enough factor to vault him into the Hall? What about the Super Bowl MVP? What about the fact that Ward was never among the best three or four receivers in the league?

I'm throwing out the Super Bowl MVP. I don't care about that. The biggest play Ward made in that game was on a gimmick play on which he was uncovered. It was an ugly game and they had to give the MVP to someone. If we're putting people in the Hall for winning the Super Bowl MVP, Dexter Jackson and Desmond Howard would like to have a word with someone.

The blocking is the thing. If you can be a top-10 receiver in the league and add so much to your team's running game, that's a difference maker. That's what separates Hines Ward from other guys with big numbers who are on the outside looking in. It's a perfectly legitimate argument. He added something to his team that other receivers just did not.

But even with his blocking exploits, at any time during Hines Ward's career did you ever look at him and think, "That guy's the best in the game"? Earlier in his career, Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens or Randy Moss would've been taken before Ward. Later, it was guys like Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson. The Hall of Fame is for the elite, right? Was Ward ever that?

It's going to be a really tough call when the time comes ‒ especially considering some of the receivers, like Cris Carter, who have been left out in the cold recently. Ultimately, though, I think Ward will get in ‒ not on the first ballot, but at some point. The guys who vote on this just adore things like "playing the game the way it's supposed to be played," and being "gritty" or "hard-nosed" or "old school." Ridiculous little clichés or not, they are kind of true of Ward, and things like that tend to excite voters. He'll be held up as an example of how the game was played before we put all the sissified new rules into it.

I believe he'll be in eventually, and I'll support the decision. If you're on the fence, pay attention over the next five years and let me know if you see any other receiver out there as good as Ward who also blocked like Ward.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with most of this article. But it's not just blocking. It's the whole persona. There is no tougher wide receiver than Hines Ward. It's not just that he delivered effective blocks his entire career. It's that he relished the opportunity. He delivered PUNISHING blocks. And on top of that, he not only dished out punishment, he also took it like a man. How many times did we see him go across the middle and get DESTROYED, hold on to the ball, and then get up with a big smile. THAT is Hines Ward.

Teams called him dirty but that is complete BS. Hines created a new role for his position that enabled his team to be more successful. He turned the tables on the defense. How can any defense call him dirty when he simply did to them what they did to receivers on a regular basis?

Hines got into the heads of everyone on the defense before he even stepped on the field! And then he backed it up on the field. They called it dirty because they didn't like it. Boo hoo. Hines took every bit of punishment that came his way and never complained. He dared a defense to get him when they put bounties on his head. This had to be embarassing and extremely frustrating to a defense.

I think Hines will eventually get into the HOF. And not because he was a "blocking receiver". It will be because he was the most unique, complete receiver and football player the game has ever seen.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree that the SB MVP award was not clearly his, but he was key nontheless. In fact, many of the recent SB MVP awards were not legit IMO.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Crocker happy 'dirty' Ward gone

Updated Mar 21, 2012 12:30 PM ET

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cincinnati-bengals-chris-crocker-happy-to-see-dirty-hines-ward-in-retirement-032112[/url]

Cincinnati Bengals safety Chris Crocker suggested he and several other players were happy to see the back of Hines Ward after the decorated former Steelers wideout announced his retirement.

A tearful Ward called time on his career Tuesday following his release by Pittsburgh after 14 seasons.

He departs as the franchise's leader with 1,000 catches — which ranks eighth on the NFL's all-time list — 12,083 receiving yards, 85 receiving touchdowns and 29 100-yard receiving games.

Crocker said Ward was deserving of the Pro Football Hall of Fame for his achievements but added that he could not forgive his "dirty" play on the field.

"He tried to end people's careers, and that's not the way the game is supposed to be played," Crocker told Bengals.com.

Ward broke Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers' jaw with a brutal blindside block in 2008. A year later, Crocker said Ward punched him in the face during a game.

"Stuff like that, it's just not right," Crocker said. "And I'm not the only guy that thinks it."

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hines Ward not sweating potential Hall of Fame induction
    Posted by Zac Jackson on July 14, 2016, 11:00 PM EDT

Former Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward is eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame for the first time in 2017, but Ward said recently he’s not worried about whether he’ll be voted in — in part because he isn’t sure of the criteria involved in Hall of Fame voting.

Ward is proud of his 14-year NFL career, as he should be. But he told Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he knows other players posted better over statistics than he did and that he’s not exactly sure what Hall of Fame voters prioritize.

“Is it stats? My stats are OK,” Ward said. “Is it MVPs? I got a Super Bowl MVP. I got two Super Bowl rings. I really don’t know the criteria. I don’t know what is really expected to get in.

“I started in this game as a third-round pick, a special teams guy and I ended up playing 14 years. If it happens it will be a cherry on top of an amazing career. If not, I am not going to be disappointed.”

Ward had 1,000 career receptions, a landmark Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith plans to chase in a potential return. But he’s not sure his numbers — 12,083 yards and 85 touchdowns — stand out in today’s pass-happy NFL.

“Now, guys have a 140 catches a season,” he said. “[A 1,000-catch career] is kind of like nothing now.”

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/14/hines-ward-not-sweating-potential-hall-of-fame-induction/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

pffft... Hines Ward won't get close to the HOF.

Didn't a few posters say Bettis probably wouldn't get in for a while as well?

Hines is making it, it's the smile.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    pffft... Hines Ward won't get close to the HOF.

Didn't a few posters say Bettis probably wouldn't get in for a while as well?

Hines is making it, it's the smile.
    I think so too, because he's a unique wideout. His overall stats and SBMVP get him into the conversation, but his blocking ability and personality ultimately put him over the top and get him in eventually. No chance whatsoever at first ballot, though. Unless your name is Rice, all WR's have to wait, it seems. Hines may wait close to a decade before he gets in, but he eventually makes it to Canton.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I think so too, because he's a unique wideout. His overall stats and SBMVP get him into the conversation, but his blocking ability and personality ultimately put him over the top and get him in eventually. No chance whatsoever at first ballot, though. Unless your name is Rice, all WR's have to wait, it seems. Hines may wait close to a decade before he gets in, but he eventually makes it to Canton.
    Every generation of every team has one or two guys who represent the team. Between 2001 and 2010 if you asked any fan of any football team to name a player on the Steelers, they'd probably name Hines 50% of the time.

There's a reason for that. He epitomized the team. He stood out. He scared opponents. He delivered again and again and again. None of the other WRs with similar stats have the same aura.

He's going to Canton alright. And not as a spectator either.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Stats get used too much to establish HOF worthiness. When it is clear that the player played at a certain level (like Hines did for so long), you then should consider what that guy did that makes him so special as a football player (to be considered HOF). Hines had a champion's attitude. He played with passion, played hurt all the time, and did it with dignity.

Now on the other end of the spectrum, a name from the article... take a guy like Keyshawn Johnson. Guys like this SHOULD NOT get into any "Hall of Fame". (I don't even think T.O. should be in, and I'm not hating on him because he was "a showboater". I think Michael Irvin is HOF worthy.) Keyshawn, like T.O., was constantly a divisive force on his football teams.

Football fans and players like to call theirs "the ultimate team sport." That's debatable, but OK. If that is the case, you can't elect the most selfish of them into the Hall.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Stats get used too much to establish HOF worthiness. When it is clear that the player played at a certain level (like Hines did for so long), you then should consider what that guy did that makes him so special as a football player (to be considered HOF). Hines had a champion's attitude. He played with passion, played hurt all the time, and did it with dignity.

Now on the other end of the spectrum, a name from the article... take a guy like Keyshawn Johnson. Guys like this SHOULD NOT get into any "Hall of Fame". (I don't even think T.O. should be in, and I'm not hating on him because he was "a showboater". I think Michael Irvin is HOF worthy.) Keyshawn, like T.O., was constantly a divisive force on his football teams.

Football fans and players like to call theirs "the ultimate team sport." That's debatable, but OK. If that is the case, you can't elect the most selfish of them into the Hall.
    nah. HOF shouldnt be about locker room cancers or WR diva.

Did they produce? Did they have productive careers? Were they the best of the best when they played?

Hines will get in because he was a football player. He was the face of our team, tough as nails and just everything you want from a WR who lacked size, speed, etc but made up for it with heart.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"