Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eying the draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Eying the draft

Yea, it's probably too early to think too much about the 2013 draft, but, I like doing it.

I am going to assume we won't be picking until 25 or later, just for the purposes of having some kind of starting point (I hope we won't be picking until 32

My first rounder could be a long shot. But if Eric Reid, S, LSU is there, wow.

[url]http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=204879620[/url]

They are saying he is every bit as good as Patrick Peterson. I find that hard to believe, but if he is even in the neighborhood, wow, would this guy give us our safety for the next decade. Both Clark and Troy are in their 30s - nearly MID 30s, so it's not too early to address the position. What I like about this guy is his size combined with leadership skills, and natural instincts. If there is one thing I hate is when Pgh over values physical skills on dudes who have no instincts. I don't care how big and fast you are; if you don't know when to be where, and the quickest way to get there (the right angles) then it's all worthless. (See Scott freakin Shields, remember him? He was as useless as tits on a bull.) Reid would be knockin the crap out of offenses and provide stellar leadership. But could easily not be there when we draft, so......

C.J. Mosely, OLB, AL - Could be our future bad @ss at OLB. But does he have injury issues? I know he was hurt in 2011 but I am not sure of that's a trend of just a one-time thing. I am thinking we most likely will go LB, CB or S with our first rounder. I really think our OL is finally going to be deep. We have used 2 first rounders at DE lately. With LB, we could use either OLB or ILB help, so go with best available. Or...

Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU - Had a knee injury in the spring, but this kid can play. But he could be a bit of a reach in the first round. Some project him in the 2nd, however the combine will alter this one way or another.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Yea, it's probably too early to think too much about the 2013 draft, but, I like doing it.

I am going to assume we won't be picking until 25 or later, just for the purposes of having some kind of starting point (I hope we won't be picking until 32

[URL]http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=204879620[/URL]

They are saying he is every bit as good as Patrick Peterson. I find that hard to believe, but if he is even in the neighborhood, wow, would this guy give us our safety for the next decade. Both Clark and Troy are in their 30s - nearly MID 30s, so it's not too early to address the position. What I like about this guy is his size combined with leadership skills, and natural instincts. If there is one thing I hate is when Pgh over values physical skills on dudes who have no instincts. I don't care how big and fast you are; if you don't know when to be where, and the quickest way to get there (the right angles) then it's all worthless. (See Scott freakin Shields, remember him? He was as useless as tits on a bull.) Reid would be knockin the crap out of offenses and provide stellar leadership. But could easily not be there when we draft, so......

C.J. Mosely, OLB, AL - Could be our future bad @ss at OLB. But does he have injury issues? I know he was hurt in 2011 but I am not sure of that's a trend of just a one-time thing. I am thinking we most likely will go LB, CB or S with our first rounder. I really think our OL is finally going to be deep. We have used 2 first rounders at DE lately. With LB, we could use either OLB or ILB help, so go with best available. Or...

Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU - Had a knee injury in the spring, but this kid can play. But he could be a bit of a reach in the first round. Some project him in the 2nd, however the combine will alter this one way or another.
    As far as safeties go, I like Phillip Thomas from Fresno State better than Eric Reid.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    As far as safeties go, I like Phillip Thomas from Fresno State better than Eric Reid.
    Thomas is a SS, Reid is a FS; which do you think we need more than the other? Thomas is rated at about the 5th best SS on the board right now. If things still stand as they are, we could get him in the 3rd round.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I'll take Reid any day over Thomas.

Even if Thomas was "rated" as good as Reid, I'd still take Reid and it wouldn't be close. The big boy league (SEC) vs. a player at Fresno State. To me, it's not even close.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[URL]http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=204879620[/URL]

No way is Eric Reid is anywhere near Patrick Peterson. In fact Reid has struggled this year and especially in coverage. I see Reid having to eventually move to SS in the NFL at some point.

In my opinion there is not a better pure free safety in all of college football than Barcarri Rambo. He can do it all. Problem is, he got into some trouble (smoking weed), and was suspended at the beginning of this year. He will be available end of round two to mid round three as a result. But he is a flat out ball hawk (16 career picks). Great instincts and can hit like a truck. He is no slouch in coverage.

Who wouldn't want a Steeler jersey with the name Rambo on the back?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Why do you say this? Explain. I havent seen much of Thomas but I have seen every game of Reid's the past two seasons. If you are basing it on the fact that Thomas has 8 picks this year you have to understand that teams dont get to throw the ball down the field a lot versus LSU with the front 7 they have.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

By the way C.J. Mosely plays inside. Solid but not spectacular. He has a well rounded game. Does a lot of things well but nothing great. My guy outside of Manti T'eo for ILB is LSU's Kevin Minter. A 3 down backer who can fill a hole big time. He has been steadily climbing the boards ever since his 20 tackle game versus Florida. Before the season he wasn't even on anyone's board now he is early second to mid second round and still climbing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman will support his hometown boy- Alabama's Australian NT Jesse Williams, in round 1. Steelers need that big, imposing guy up front that can dominate at the LOS. Hampton is winding Dow, Ta'amu nearly played himself out of Pittsburgh with his stupidity, and McClendon looks like a message board hero more than the long term future at NT.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Administrator

User Info Menu

Outside of Te'o... I'll take the best available S (preferably FS) or ILB or OLB from the SEC or Florida State.

Given those 3 positions, that should provide us with a damn good player.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Chadman will support his hometown boy- Alabama's Australian NT Jesse Williams, in round 1. Steelers need that big, imposing guy up front that can dominate at the LOS. Hampton is winding Dow, Ta'amu nearly played himself out of Pittsburgh with his stupidity, and McClendon looks like a message board hero more than the long term future at NT.
    That would be a solid pick as long as it is end of round one. He is a legit pure NT who already plays in a 3-4. Very strong dude. However, me personally, I want a play maker on defense this year. The Steelers are seriously lacking in that big time splash play maker right now. Williams would be solid but he isnt going to be making the splash plays this team needs.