Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deal with it: AJ Mccarron leading Bama to third straight title

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I, for another, hope they consider Troy at FS. I know he's never really played it, but I think the position lends itself more (to an aging star like him), than the position of SS. SS is more a position predicated on physically holding up (covering guys, physically filling vs. the run). That sort of thing doesn't lend itself to an aging veteran. At FS, he's back, using his still good range and reading the QB (something that he'll have to change--he can't gamble/guess so much), and making last line of defense tackles.
    DL already uses the safeties interchangeably. Both safeties play a hybrid of both positions. He's changed it up a little more this year using Troy more often in the box since Foote's gone down. But I see no reason Troy couldn't play next to Shark or Golden.

I think both of the young safeties might turn out to be better in coverage than either Clark or Troy. Why not leave Troy where he's at and extend him at some discount? And put Golden in at FS to replace Clark?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Troy to FS is a pipe dream. He is a coming forward type of player. His is not a cover guy versus WR's one on one. Back's and TE's coming forward, yes he can handle that. Different ball game as a FS.

And you have still left the Steelers with a bunch of holes on both sides of the ball.

I'm disappointed in you Pete. You want mediocrity at both corners for the Steelers? And change Troy to a new position that goes against his strength behind them?

Maybe it's time to go outside and take a walk Pete? Clear your head? Come back at later?
    And, you're asking the Steelers to put unproven at the most important position on the field over a 10 year veteran that has proven he can win in the NFL. I don't really see the difference. Except I'm sure you're going to extoll the skills of AJ McCarron because he plays for Alabama as if he's been an all-pro in the NFL and, yet, he's still playing college football.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe we should trade our whole draft and our qb for the rights to pick him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    DL already uses the safeties interchangeably. Both safeties play a hybrid of both positions. He's changed it up a little more this year using Troy more often in the box since Foote's gone down. But I see no reason Troy couldn't play next to Shark or Golden.

I think both of the young safeties might turn out to be better in coverage than either Clark or Troy. Why not leave Troy where he's at and extend him at some discount? And put Golden in at FS to replace Clark?
    Oh, in any case that Troy remains with the team, he's going to have to take a paycut. My point is, we need to replace Clark. IMO, the Sharknado is a better prospect than Jay-Cutler's-tire-tracks (Robert Golden). And so, if Troy and Shark are the Safeties... I have much more faith in Troy back there as the last line of defense, than the Shark. I could be wrong.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    If we trade Ben, and have AJ McCarron, he starts from day one. He is the most pro ready. We are talking about a 4 years starter who has played probably the most big games as any college QB ever.

He isnt going to be given the keys of the offense. Just like when they had Ben as a rookie. It will be a lot like how he has been used at Alabama. Power run game and a dominant defense. This kid can win with that. No doubt.
    And we have neither. We probably need someone who can win games on their own instead.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Umm...anyone else think the original post was a little premature???

Actually, he played pretty well...