Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So... do you feel good about the safety position after the draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    Dravon Askew-Henry played FS at WVU and is a solid pickup. If he wouldn't have tore his ACL a few years ago he would have been a drafted S after his third year. With Edmunds, and Davis starting and backup of Dangerfield, Askew-Henry and Allen available, we should be fine. If they were truly concerned about the position after releasing Burnett, we would have seen it. I think Askew-Henry was tha plan all along.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Dj.....we want to "incentivize" him to "get it together", not "threaten" a polka serenade by you which would surely motivate him to throw games.
    Cap, you crazy dude. Hahaha

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Tomlin ‘Comfortable’ With Depth At Safety, Citese Versatility Of Hilton, Sutton To Play There

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on April 28, 2019

With nine picks in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers had the opportunity to address almost every position on the roster, and they only doubled up on one position, taking inside linebacker Ulysees Grant III after adding Devin Bush in the first round. If there is one glaring omission that was not addressed, however, it would have to be safety, where the team only has four players on the roster who are true to the position, all returning from last season’s roster.

Understandably, Head Coach Mike Tomlin was asked about that after the draft and whether he was comfortable with the names and numbers they have at the position that allowed them to exit the draft without adding additional personnel to the spot.

“We’ll allow those guys to sort themselves out”, he said. “We’re comfortable with the number of people that we have working”. The Steelers return starters Sean Davis and 2018 first-round pick Terrell Edmunds, as well as veteran Jordan Dangerfield and second-year Marcus Allen.

Prior to that question, Tomlin specifically discussed Allen, a fifth-round pick on whom the team was rather high in the pre-draft process, and mentioned that he is a primary candidate to work into some sub-package play in 2019 as the dimebacker. In following up the previous remarks, he also brought up the position flexibility they believe they have in the secondary, specifically referencing Mike Hilton and Cameron Sutton.

“We’re also comfortable with the versatility of some of the corners. You’ve seen Cam Sutton play some safety. You’ve seen Mike Hilton play safety on our football team in the past”, Tomlin said. “I’m sure there are others who are capable as well. So, we’re comfortable, not only with our numbers, but with the flexibility of others that may not be quote on quote safeties”.

Brian Allen, heading into his third year, is another potential candidate to work at safety that has been kicked around in the past. But Hilton and Sutton have worked there in practice. Hilton even at one point last season hinted that he would be the second-string free safety, over Morgan Burnett, if Davis were to suffer an injury.

So the Steelers exit the primary roster-building portion of the offseason without addressing an area in which they are thin on paper, yet nonetheless they express confidence in both the names and numbers they have available to them.

It’s also worth noting that the defensive backs that they got from the Alliance of American Football, Jack Tocho and Kameron Kelly, are safety-capable, and given the makeup of the roster there’s a reasonable chance they will get the opportunities to work there.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/to...to-play-there/
    Which is just what I said; by the way they drafted, it told you Tomlin felt good about the safety situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Undrafted Aliquippa Native Askew-Henry: ‘I Knew Where I Wanted To Go’

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on May 13, 2019

Some decisions make themselves. That was the case for Pittsburgh Steelers rookie safety Dravon Askew-Henry, whose decision to come to Pittsburgh was made for him once the West Virginia alumnus went undrafted.

“I already knew what I wanted to do. If I was undrafted I knew where I wanted to go”, he told reporters during rookie minicamp, as one of the team’s most high-profile college free agent signings from after the 2019 NFL Draft. “This is my home”.

And he means that pretty literally. Askew-Henry is from Aliquippa. Darrelle Revis is literally his cousin. Dude was born a Yinzer.

“I grew up a Steelers fan”, he went on. “I have family that stayed here in Pittsburgh. I feel like I’m at home”.

He certainly wouldn’t be the first one to come to Pittsburgh feeling that way. Among the most prominent in recent years would be Jesse James, the tight end who graduated out of Penn State before being selected in the fifth round of the 2015 NFL Draft.

While he may have come to the Steelers regardless of the circumstances simply because of his love for his hometown team—assuming that they were mutually interested in him, of course—he also comes to a team that figures to potentially have a roster opening for him.

After all, the Steelers have gone throughout this entire offseason process without making a significant addition to the safety position, and have lost two of the six that they carried on their roster last season. If they carried six in 2018, one would figure they might want to carry at least five this year, and right now, they’re pretty much at four.

P.J. Locke is another notable safety that the team added as an undrafted free agent. They also brought in Kameron Kelly as an alumnus of the Alliance of American Football. Jack Tocho, who played safety in the AAF, was released after the draft, though he was listed by the team as a cornerback.

“I’m going to give the Pittsburgh Steelers, the organization everything I got, just like I would Aliquippa or as I did at West Virginia”, Askew-Henry said. He has that added layer of motivation that can only come from playing for a team that you love.

Of course, that doesn’t give you superhuman abilities. But he did record an interception during rookie minicamp, which is a good way to get started. Now he has to do that against a quarterback who has actually participated in the NFL before.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/un...-wanted-to-go/

Banned

User Info Menu

Lot of competition. Pressure creates diamonds. Here's hoping.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd love to see Askew-Henry break out and be a stud, but the odds are strongly against that. I think we should've spent a draft pick or FA money on a FS, but Tomlin seems to think he can make one out of one of the CBs on the roster, if need be. Never mind that we haven't really seen him do anything like that yet.

I hope the answer will be on the field for us this fall. I don't really think it's Sean Davis, but we'll see.

Legend

User Info Menu

I want to see what Kameron Kelly shows this summer in Latrobe if they make him a full time safety.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I'd love to see Askew-Henry break out and be a stud, but the odds are strongly against that. I think we should've spent a draft pick or FA money on a FS, but Tomlin seems to think he can make one out of one of the CBs on the roster, if need be. Never mind that we haven't really seen him do anything like that yet.

I hope the answer will be on the field for us this fall. I don't really think it's Sean Davis, but we'll see.
    I hear you but are we not due for one of these damn reach ( and hope) moves to pan out??? Need for a guy to come out the blue and turn some heads.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I hear you but are we not due for one of these damn reach ( and hope) moves to pan out??? Need for a guy to come out the blue and turn some heads.
    Unfortunately Mike Hilton may have taken that slot for the decade lol

I'd love to see Brian Allen get a shot at Safety (and actually stick). Marcus Allen is a guy that I think may be the guy that fits your description...and the primary reason why we didn't draft a Safety, or seek one out in FA.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know this kids family. I hope it works out for him. Always happy to see a kid from Quip in the NFL.

Also hope he doesn’t spend too much time back home.