User Info Menu

Let's take a look at 3-4 OLB's on the roster

Right now it is:

James "Silverback" Harrison
    Lamarr "Gildon" Woodley
    Jason "All" Worilds
    Chris "No Nickname" Carter
    Adrian "One-Trick Pony" Robinson

Who stays, who goes, do we need to draft one in RD1?

I'll go first:

Harrison is cut/restructured and comes back at a much lower rate

Adrian Robinson and Jason Worilds must have a big off-seasons. Robinson has to hit the weights like silverback and Worilds must stay healthy and have a full off-season of workouts.

Adrian Robinson has a very quick burst and must prove he can take the next step.
    Last edited by BigRob; 01-04-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just shows how thin we are at the most important position in a 3-4 defense and probably a good indication why we have one of the worst sack totals in the past two decades.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Just shows how thin we are at the most important position in a 3-4 defense and probably a good indication why we have one of the worst sack totals in the past two decades.
    We need one. I'm thinking the pick in the first round is going to be an OLB, CB, or OL. Got to get a pass rusher and stronger in the trenches.

Could also see us trading back and getting a WR like Terrance Williams or Deandre Hopkins.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know some here are afraid of mingo in the 1st, but will he be a candidate?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    We need one. I'm thinking the pick in the first round is going to be an OLB, CB, or OL. Got to get a pass rusher and stronger in the trenches.

Could also see us trading back and getting a WR like Terrance Williams or Deandre Hopkins.
    It's interesting. The OLB has been the key to the 3-4 defense in Pittsburgh for 20 years, and the only first rounder the Steelers have invested at the position was on Timmons, who was originally projected outside before the emergence of Harrison.

If there is a year to invest a first round selection here, this is it. I would love to see the OLBs next year as:

Harrison (restructured)
    Woodley
    Worilds
    1st Rounder
    Robinson

I'd give the draft choice time at both OLB spots and serve notice to Woodley that his poor conditioning and poor play won't cut it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Right now it is:

James "Silverback" Harrison
    Lamarr "Gildon" Woodley
    Jason "All" Worilds
    Chris "No Nickname" Carter
    Adrian "One-Trick Pony" Robinson

Who stays, who goes, do we need to draft one in RD1?

I'll go first:

Harrison is cut/restructured and comes back at a much lower rate

Adrian Robinson and Jason Worilds must have a big off-seasons. Robinson has to hit the weights like silverback and Worilds must stay healthy and have a full off-season of workouts.

Adrian Robinson has a very quick burst and must prove he can take the next step.
    Let's take a look at all the failed draft picks, that, had they hit on a few, we wouldn't be in this bad situation.

Chris Carter - stinks like a rotting rat.
    Jason Worilds - Could still produce, led team in sacks.
    Steve Sly - worthless
    Mike Humpal - tried to convert to S, just sucks all around
    Bruce Davis - I knew it was a bad pick immediately. Sucks total @$$
    Rian Wallace - never did a damn thing.
    Last edited by lloydroid; 01-04-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    A thin guy who can't defend the rushing game. I don't know.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Let's take a look at all the failed draft picks, that, had the hit on a few, we wouldn't be in this bad situation.

Chris Carter - stinks like a rotting rat.
    Jason Worilds - Could still produce, led team in sacks.
    Steve Sly - worthless
    Mike Humpal - tried to convert to S, just sucks all around
    Bruce Davis - I knew it was a bad pick immediately. Sucks total @$$
    Rian Wallace - never did a damn thing.
    Aside from Worilds and Davis, they were all late round picks. And Sylvester is not worthless - he is a solid special teams contributor.

Also, Sylvester, Humpal and Wallace were drafted as ILBs.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    Absolutely. I know a lot of people don't like him, but the upside is out of this world. He is also one of the LSU players that coaches said was very dedicated, unlike Sam Montgomery.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wouldn't draft an OLB in the first round only my opinion nothing more.
    I still believe we need a dominate NT before an OLB, when you have a NT that takes on Blocks and double teams it will free up Ziggy, Heyward and Keisel to get more pressure on the QB, but it also helps our LB'ers.

Jason Worlids with limited play had 5 sacks, I wonder if he plays 16 games what his sack total would be, pressures, and tackles. He backs up Woodley, but couldn't he move over to where Harrison Plays should we lose James? I know we have Carter but for me Worlids is our best LB after Timmons, James, and Woodley.

Casey is on his down side, Mclendon is good but not dominate, he actually is better rushing the passer than stopping the run and taking up blocks, thats why we need that void filled at NT.
    I think John Jenkins could fill that role, there are two rated above him on the draft board, but after reading everything about them I feel Jenkins is the best at NT.

Btw, If Reid is there in the second I'm confident we take him, we'll need a future starter at safety when either Troy or Clark retires, but also depth for next year. Allen is decent, but Mundy may have seen his last Sunday with the Steelers.