Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers Drafted Bell To Be Their Starter

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    So let me get this straight, Bell is handed a starting job, but Jarvis has to compete for his job. Seems like the standard isn't the standard.
    Honestly, Bell won't come in on day 1 and take starter reps and neither will Jones... so, the standard really IS the standard... BOTH will be given ample opportunity to win their respective jobs... However, Bell is expected to win out by game 1, Jones isn't.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Honestly, Bell won't come in on day 1 and take starter reps and neither will Jones... so, the standard really IS the standard... BOTH will be given ample opportunity to win their respective jobs... However, Bell is expected to win out by game 1, Jones isn't.
    I'd say that they both are.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I'd say for the first time in a while, we actually have a couple of potential rookie of the year candidates (one on offense, one on defense), if they take advantage of said opportunities.

DROY voters love to vote for linebackers since they can rack up both sack numbers and tackle numbers (9 out of the last 10 NFL DROY's have been LB's...Suh being the lone exception).

After Roethlisberger became the first QB to win OROY since 1970, now QB's have won 5 out of the last 7 years. However, there does not appear to be an immediate rookie starter this year at QB, so it would have to go to a WR or RB (TE and OL have never won). With no RB's taken in round 1, of the round 2 RB's taken, Bell has the best chance of being a bellcow back (Bernard will split time with Green-Ellis, Ball will split time with McGahee/Moreno/Hillman, and Lacy will split time with fellow rookie RB Jonathan Franklin). None of the rookie WR's are out-of-the-box superstars like Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, or Julio Jones, although Tavon Austin could be a threat because his abilities to catch, run, and return.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jarvis, day 1, would be a suprise... Jarvis by week 8 - not a surprise.

2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)

Legend

User Info Menu

I think you are wrong. I don't see anyway for Jones to start unless you ask him merely to rush the passer every down. He has much to learn. Toting the rock on the other hand is a very different story. Bell will be starter at minimum by game 3.

Legend

User Info Menu

Disagree because by Week 8 Worilds wil already have about half a dozen sacks. Unless you mean Jones in for Woodley who will likely be sidelined with a hamstring injury by Week 8.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Disagree because by Week 8 Worilds wil already have about half a dozen sacks. Unless you mean Jones in for Woodley who will likely be sidelined with a hamstring injury by Week 8.
    bingo... guessing one of the two will be hurt by week 8..

2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I'd say for the first time in a while, we actually have a couple of potential rookie of the year candidates (one on offense, one on defense), if they take advantage of said opportunities.
    You mean Wheaton and Thomas? Seriously tho, I can see a lot of playing time in the cards for a lot of rookies. Not sure that's a great thing, but it's the result of losing so many vets and not having the best drafts over the last several years that will force them into the spotlight. Hopefully they don't get in so early and make mistakes and lose confidence.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think you are wrong. I don't see anyway for Jones to start unless you ask him merely to rush the passer every down. He has much to learn. Toting the rock on the other hand is a very different story. Bell will be starter at minimum by game 3.
    I respectfully disagree.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How everyone changes their tune.

"Jones will be a Day 1 starter!"

Steelers draft him and all the Jones luvers now want to give him 1 or 2 years to get his feet under him. D.A.M. No confidence in him anymore? He played in NFL Southeast. We cut the great James Harrison and the thought of Worilds replacing him made some vomit. The Steelers draft our savior Jarvis Jones but somewhere in between all of that Worilds found a Superman tee shirt? And Here I am, a Jones doubter predraft getting him on the field year 1. How the spines curve when the pressure really hits.

If Jarvis Jones is Da Man...He should log starts or be splitting time this year that won't be because of Worilds getting injured. If the gap remains that large between them where he doesn't take LB snaps...The Steelers were wrong on one of them.