Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the 2013 Draft be the best of the decade?

Legend

User Info Menu

Will the 2013 Draft be the best of the decade?

When looking at this draft from top to bottom, it just gets me excited. I see 5 quality starters coming out of this draft with 2-4 possible Pro Bowl type talents.

1) Jarvis Jones- if he stays healthy does anyone doubt this guy will posts double digit sacks every year?
    2) Le'Veon Bell-I rarely get this excited about a player we draft. But, having watched a lot of Bell I know how big of a thorn in the side of a D he is. Behind a questionable MSU OL, he was the focal piece of the O, and dominated Ds who would creep 8-9 in the box including my beloved Buckeyes. If he gets the carries I believe he gets R.O.Y.
    3) Markus Wheaton-Sudden explosive speed who is more refined than Wallace at this stage in their careers. He gets PT this year, and becomes a force by next.
    4) Shamarko Thomas-He brings intimidation back into the secondary. He will have WRs heads on a pivot. Ryan Clark+...and that isn't bad for a 4th round pick.
    5) Terry Hawthorne-Despite being a Big Ten fan...I never pitched the guy but I like what I read...could be a real steal.
    6) Landry Jones- all the tools, makes all the throws, knows the game.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Shawn; 06-18-2013 at 06:17 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Jones is far from a sure thing. Many other talented players have been laid low by LeBeau's unnecessarily complex defense taking years to even see the field.

I think Bell, Wheaton and Thomas will prove to be the best and most productive memebers of this draft early in their careers. they will have success and contribute, although being on the defensive side of the ball Thomas won't be trusted for a couple of years.

Hawthorne is a wildcard. Could be a big success or could be the next Ricardo Coclough.

I think Landry Jones is a steal. He needs a season or two of development but he has the tools and the experience at a major college level. Refine his mechanics and let him learn and I think he is a solid Pro. Personally, I think Haley's offense is perfect for him emphasizing short to mid range passing.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Glad you're excited, and hope this draft does turn out to be the draft of the decade.

However...
    Seems like just about every year, we fans on this board are excited about the draft, and thinking it might turn out to be the draft of the decade. We will see.

More than most years, it does look as though this year's class will have the OPPORTUNITY to contribute soon.

Legend

User Info Menu

no, the 2012 draft will be
    make that the 2011
    no the 2010
    nope, the 2009
    or will it be the 2008
    just remembered, its the 2007..........

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Seems to my recollection that Shawn's player evals have been solid through the years, and particularly knows the Big Ten+ talent.

I think that several of these draft choices are likely to be given significant roles this year, and not just on special teams (significant though ST's are). They will have a chance to develop a bit more quickly than some in past drafts. Alot rides on their development.

So, yeah, I'm excited about this draft year.

I do wish we would have landed one of those two PSU ILB's, and I particulary hoped for Mauti late in the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Excited about this year's draft, more so than in recent years. This is one of the few times that pressing need met the player that was drafted. Our first three picks play positions with no incumbent starter.When was the last time we saw that?

Shamarko Thomas and Landry Jones are more typical of the way the Steelers draft. Drafted at positions where the starter is currently in place. Let them sit and watch for a year or two...or three or four...and by the time a vacancy opens there isn't a draft excitement surrounding them. Similar to what we will have with Worilds if he wins the starting role.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    When looking at this draft from top to bottom, it just gets me excited. I see 5 quality starters coming out of this draft with 2-4 possible Pro Bowl type talents.

1) Jarvis Jones- if he stays healthy does anyone doubt this guy will posts double digit sacks every year?
    2) Le'Veon Bell-I rarely get this excited about a player we draft. But, having watched a lot of Bell I know how big of a thorn in the side of a D he is. Behind a questionable MSU OL, he was the focal piece of the O, and dominated Ds who would creep 8-9 in the box including my beloved Buckeyes. If he gets the carries I believe he gets R.O.Y.
    3) Markus Wheaton-Sudden explosive speed who is more refined than Wallace at this stage in their careers. He gets PT this year, and becomes a force by next.
    4) Shamarko Thomas-He brings intimidation back into the secondary. He will have WRs heads on a pivot. Ryan Clark+...and that isn't bad for a 4th round pick.
    5) Terry Hawthorne-Despite being a Big Ten fan...I never pitched the guy but I like what I read...could be a real steal.
    6) Landry Jones- all the tools, makes all the throws, knows the game.

Discuss.
    I'm excited about the Williams brothers and Brown. While the top picks are intriguing, I'm really excited what the Steelers did on day 3.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Seems to my recollection that Shawn's player evals have been solid through the years, and particularly knows the Big Ten+ talent.

I think that several of these draft choices are likely to be given significant roles this year, and not just on special teams (significant though ST's are). They will have a chance to develop a bit more quickly than some in past drafts. Alot rides on their development.

So, yeah, I'm excited about this draft year.

I do wish we would have landed one of those two PSU ILB's, and I particulary hoped for Mauti late in the draft.
    I appreciated you saying that. I'm not easily excitable when it comes to Steeler drafts. I just think they may have knocked it out of the park on this one. I will disagree with O on Jones. I believe if he stays healthy he is as sure of a thing as they come. I believe Bell to be very special. Nimble feet...runs hard...falls forward. He is a guy who continually found those tough yards.

i agree with you on Mauti, love the guys heart and leadership. This is a do or die year for the Steelers. They must get a draft class that turns out some stars.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'm excited about the Williams brothers and Brown. While the top picks are intriguing, I'm really excited what the Steelers did on day 3.
    i know little about those guys, but if one of the three turns out to be something...well that's something.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I believe Bell to be very special. Nimble feet...runs hard...falls forward. He is a guy who continually found those tough yards.
    I think the Bell pick is the most intriguing. Here is a guy who was the only focal point in an otherwise impotent offense and he still managed to go for 1,300 and 21 TDs in his senior season. I didn't watch any of his games, but most highlights that I've seen show him facing stacked fronts. That reminds me of Bettis in the fourth Q of a winning game. You knew he was getting the ball, he knew it, the opposing D knew it, even the guy selling hot dogs knew that Bettis was getting the ball, yet he still was able to grind out the yardage.