Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wallace sign.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    What about the 20 million guaranteed don't you like?

for the sake of easy numbers, if that is a 20 million signing bonus over 5 years it is only 4 million a year. take that down to 10 million and throw in a couple roster or workout bonuses in say years 2 and 3, then in years 4 and 5 that leaves 2 million per year in prorated signing bonus. If for whatever reason Mike Wallace has lost it by age 29, you can cut him and only owe that 4 million over 2 years. I don't see why 20 million guaranteed is an issue.
    It's not an issue. I would have absolutely no problem with $20 million guaranteed for a Wallace deal.

It's just not a steal....

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Looks like Weslye Saunders had some premature Twitteration of his own regarding the Wallace contract/non-contract:

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/24/steelers-tight-end-weslye-saunders-says-mike-wallace-has-new-deal/[/URL]

Steelers tight end Weslye Saunders says Mike Wallace has new deal
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2012, 5:57 PM EDT

Coach Mike Tomlin may not be the only Steelers employee to get a new contract on Tuesday.

He also may not be the only Steelers employee named “Mike” to get a new contract on Tuesday.

Tight end Weslye Saunders has congratulated receiver Mike Wallace on a new contract via a Twitter message. Saunders later tried to put the toothpaste back in the Twitter tube.

Wallace, a restricted free agent, has received a one-year tender worth $2.7 million. The Steelers opted not to reduce the tender dramatically on June 15, even though they could have.

The Steelers report for training camp on Tuesday. It’s still unknown whether Wallace will be there.

Perhaps the bigger question for now is whether Saunders will be.

UPDATE 6:00 p.m. ET: Saunders’ tweet may have come from inside information, or it may have come from an apparently erroneous report that Wallace has a new deal. Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Wallace does not yet have a new contract.
    Saunders probably follows Wexell...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

20mil is no steal, but the contract is friendlier after that. And it won't be a clean 20M, but easily attainable if he is healthy.

No deal is done, but it is waiting to be signed the day before camp. In case he goes out and gets drunk and hits a tree...like I might do if someone gave me $20M guaranteed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wallace is officially a "no show." The Steelers have shut down talking to him. As far as they are concerned he should not exist and move on until his butt is on the football field.

Wallace a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

July 25, 2012 3:45 pm
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Mike Wallace took another stand when he did not report to training camp on time, and now apparently the Steelers will take one of their own as the contract impasse between the two sides takes a new turn.
    The Steelers will suspend negotiations on a multiple-year contract until Wallace signs his one-year tender and reports to the team, a club source said. As a restricted free agent, Wallace was offered a one-year contract worth $2.472 million last March but he remains the only RFA in the NFL who has not signed.
    Wallace, who made the Pro Bowl in his third season last year, cannot practice until he is under contract, either by signing the one-year tender or by signing another contract offered by the team that has now been basically rescinded.
    The stance of ending negotiations for a holdout has been taken by the team before, most recently when Hines Ward held out for the first two weeks of the 2005 training camp. However, Ward had one year left on his contract at the time and was pressing for a new one. After ending his holdout, negotiations resumed and he received a four-year extension three weeks later.
    Steelers president Art Rooney II declined comment on the situation Wednesday during a press conference to formally announce the signing of first-round draft choice David DeCastro. In June, Rooney told the Post-Gazette, regarding Wallace's absence from all spring activities, "He should be here."

Read more:
    [URL="http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/wallace-a-no-show-steelers-suspend-negotiations-646152/#ixzz21fMayIJL"]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/wallace-a-no-show-steelers-suspend-negotiations-646152/#ixzz21fMayIJL[/URL]
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 07-25-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

If players are due in camp by 4:00 p.m., how is Bouchette stating that Wallace is officially a no show as of 3:45 p.m.? Is this one of those Tom Coughlin "if you are not 15 minutes early, then you are late" sort of things?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Wallace is officially a "no show." The Steelers have shut down talking to him. As far as they are concerned he should not exist and move on until his butt is on the football field.

He couldn't even show at this point if he wanted to without signing the tender offer. So basically, he's not a "no show." He's not currently under contract.

Hopefully, this gets resolved quickly.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    He couldn't even show at this point if he wanted to without signing the tender offer. So basically, he's not a "no show." He's not currently under contract.

Hopefully, this gets resolved quickly.
    Wallace may wait until after training camp to sign his tender and report...if so, negotiations will be suspended until that time...they will then have the remainder of the preseason to work out a long term deal, because the Steelers don't negotiate during the season...

There is still time to get a multi-year deal done, but I'm not going to hold my breath...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Wallace may wait until after training camp to sign his tender and report...if so, negotiations will be suspended until that time...they will then have the remainder of the preseason to work out a long term deal, because the Steelers don't negotiate during the season...

There is still time to get a multi-year deal done, but I'm not going to hold my breath...
    You don't reward a guy by negotiating when he isn't around. If he doesn't show until the start of the season they he should have to play for his tender offer.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You don't reward a guy by negotiating when he isn't around. If he doesn't show until the start of the season they he should have to play for his tender offer.
    If he doesn't show up until the start of the season, that's what will happen...the Steelers will negotiate right up to the beginning of their first game (see Polamalu's contract), but once the season officially starts for the team, that's it...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If he doesn't show up until the start of the season, that's what will happen...the Steelers will negotiate right up to the beginning of their first game (see Polamalu's contract), but once the season officially starts for the team, that's it...
    If I recall Troy was at training camp? Am I misremembering?

No Wallace at camp then no talkie to agent!!!!!!!!