Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Lawrence Timmons was a beast today!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    In his first three games, Timmons had 11 solos, 1 assist, and 1 pass defensed. Is that the performance of a $10 million per year inside linebacker?
    somehow this basic question keeps getting dodged by the timmons apologists. It seems like a fairly simple question to me. Or they fall back on the same contrived and tired response: Its lebeaus fault!!! Never is it timmons effort, or intensity, or just overall average to poor play.

consistency, that's all the timmons critics want. Give me that and I will embrace him. Until then, I won't.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    somehow this basic question keeps getting dodged by the timmons apologists. It seems like a fairly simple question to me. Or they fall back on the same contrived and tired response: Its lebeaus fault!!! Never is it timmons effort, or intensity, or just overall average to poor play.

consistency, that's all the timmons critics want. Give me that and I will embrace him. Until then, I won't.

So nicely said. I want to be able to back all our guys as a fan but I don't gush over players that don't show me anything in the way of performance. You have guys from his team saying if you watch the game films Timmons does this and that but to me, that sounds like janitors work. Heck, Rick Woods used to do more than that and I thought the guys was dreadful.

Legend

User Info Menu

Timmons best year by far was 2010 (avg 8.3 tackles/gm). The rest of his career shows that he is good for about 5 1/2 tackles per game. Not elite by any definition of the word and would not even crack the top 50 tacklers with those numbers.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

Apologists? That's a silly word to use because it implies that there is something to apologize for...there isn't...

All Timmons does is what he is asked to do...

Ask him to go after the QB and be disruptive, like Sunday vs the Eagles, and he does...

Ask him to be passive and sit back in coverage, like most of the first three games this year, and he does...

Ask him to play all four LB positions in the Steelers' defense, like last year, and he does...

Like every human being on the planet (and the Planet!), there are some things he does better than others...IMO, what Timmons does best is what he did, successfully, on Sunday...

So, if you are committed to a big contract, why not ask him to do that a lot more often?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Ask him to be passive and sit back in coverage, like most of the first three games this year, and he does...
    I'm sure nobody asks him to sit back in coverage and get beat by mediocre tight ends. He rarely makes plays in coverage, yet that was billed as one of his strengths.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Apologists? That's a silly word to use because it implies that there is something to apologize for...there isn't...

All Timmons does is what he is asked to do...

Ask him to go after the QB and be disruptive, like Sunday vs the Eagles, and he does...

Ask him to play all four LB positions in the Steelers' defense, like last year, and he does...

Like every human being on the planet (and the Planet!), there are some things he does better than others...IMO, what Timmons does best is what he did, successfully, on Sunday...

So, if you are committed to a big contract, why not ask him to do that a lot more often?
    Once again well said.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Once again well said.
    11 solos, 1 assist, and 1 pass defensed in the first three games. You were happy with that?

Rookie

User Info Menu

I'm sure nobody asks him to sit back in coverage and get beat by mediocre tight ends. He rarely makes plays in coverage, yet that was billed as one of his strengths.
    Perhaps...but, you know what he does well? You saw it on Sunday...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Ziggy does what he's asked to do... should he get a huge contract to?

He might be "doing what he's told" but he's not doing what he's told at an elite level like his contract would indicate.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

6th season... and still waiting on all of these "splash plays" we've been hearing about since he was drafted.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.